• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xlcc
    Warrior
    • Feb 2016

Whitetail deer huntin'

Hi guys,I was feeling a little under the weather with a cold for about a week.Good to go now.I wanted to go huntin' but figured I might get worse so with-held.Anyhow this morning was a good time to hunt.I had lots of energy so went on a trek to find a buck.I looked hard and put on some miles in the snow on foot to locate some tracks.Only found one set of tracks following some does around,draggin' his toes in the snow.The snow was wind blowin' and noisy.I kept on lookin'.Not discouraged at all.Just enjoying packing my new pipe and glassing the bush.It is always nice to look through my scope every now and then just to be sure things are good to go if necessary.It is also good practise to be ready.Rarely do I pack my rifle on my shoulder.I carry my rifle in my hands or cradle it in my arms.You never know when you might need to use it with as little movement as possible.Today was one of those times.Suddenly 2 does walk by me.I freeze.They don't notice me there.Now I am ready as usual for the unexpected and this buck comes tagging along up the rear.Bucks see things different than does.He stops and is looking in my direction.He's mine and I know it but he doesn't.He is a fine looking buck,a beautiful animal,about 50 yds. or so from me.I am holding my pipe in my hands and slowly shoulder and turn to face him all in one motion while I stand there.I marvel over such a nice looking animal standing there looking at me now wondering WTF as my crosshairs rise above his heart and align at the base of his neck like fluid motion and WHAM.Now there he is laying there on the ground,just like that!The does didn't care,they continued to feed along like nothing happened.I didn't disturb them and waited 'till they were gone before I moved.
    I walk up to my buck and walk around admireing him thinking what a great hunt I had today.It is aiways a good feeling for me when I blood a new rifle.My 6.5 Grendel.
    Sorry you guys,I thought I had this picture thing figured out.But I don't.I will work on it and get the photos happening,somehow....DSCF3126 - Edited.jpgDSCF3128 - Edited.jpg
    Last edited by xlcc; 11-08-2017, 04:50 AM.
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Wow!!! Great buck.

Photos look fine.

Comment

• ty_hooper12
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

Awesome buck, great story!

Comment

• 6.8 klr
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2014

Mighty Fine....Mighty Fine..........What bullet did you use ?

Comment

• just_john
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2012

xlcc - AWESOME! And, I can almost smell it cookin'!

Comment

• Les
            Warrior
            • Oct 2016

Very nice, the brow tines are outstanding.
            Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• xlcc
              Warrior
              • Feb 2016

Originally posted by 6.8 klr View Post
              Mighty Fine....Mighty Fine..........What bullet did you use ?
              100 gr.AMAX bullet going 2745fps.

Comment

• xlcc
                Warrior
                • Feb 2016

Thanks guys,I have had a really good season this year.I also shot an outstanding moose in October.Not with my Grendel but a wildcat .375-08 in a Rem short action.Probably not the correct site for a picture thou seems it was not a six five.I only do this Grendel site.Later this month after Rememberance Day I will be setting up my wall tent and hunting the Mule deer rut with my Grendel holding out for a nice one.

Comment

• Troutguide
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2017

Outstanding great story pics and beautiful buck. I dream of stalking big woods snow some day. Not much opportunity for that down here.
                  "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• xlcc
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Troutguide View Post
                    Outstanding great story pics and beautiful buck. I dream of stalking big woods snow some day. Not much opportunity for that down here.
                    You have hogs to hunt all year round.That sounds like great fun to me.I've never seen wild hogs.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2017

Beautiful harvest... congrats!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Congrats xlcc. BC is a beautiful area.

Let's get a larger look of your pic:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• King31
                          Bloodstained
                          • Oct 2016

Congrats! Very Nice buck and gets me excited for next weekend!
                          Trevor | NRA Life Member

Comment

• gunner69
                            Unwashed
                            • Nov 2017

I have had good luck with the Barnes all copper 120gr bullets. You have a nice deer there.........

Comment

• xlcc
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2016

Originally posted by gunner69 View Post
                              I have had good luck with the Barnes all copper 120gr bullets. You have a nice deer there.........
                              I am working on a load with 123 SST bullets that I will likely use next week when I go Mule deer huntin'.Today I will do some testing.

Comment

Working...
                              X