Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

- Magpul bev Block ~$50
    - Grace roll pin punch set ~$30
    - Grace standard punch set ~$30
    - Roll pin starter punch set ~ $15
    - 1/2 inch torque wrench ~$50
    - torque bit driver ~$60
    - armorers wrench (I like the Mapul ~$70)
    - wheeler front pivot pin tool ~$7 (definitely worth it)
    - a brass/Delrin hammer ~$10-$30 (depending on brand)
    - Bench Block ~$30
    - red and blue loctite

Not all of these are 100% necessary, but this is what I have to make the job easier. Also, handy to have tape around.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
      Warrior
      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by JJA Guns View Post
      Wheeler is ok for occasional use, but if you plan on using you tools a fair bit. I would suggest good US made punches and screwdrivers. The wheeler stuff is a bit soft. Their specialty tips are nice to have on occasion for those once in awhile jobs, but none of those apply to AR builds. Even the tools from brownells have slipped a little in the last 10 years or so. Buy good tools once and enjoy them a lifetime.
      I had a set of Wheeler, they seemed to bend awlful easy. I returned them and picked up a set from Grace on Brownells's

I have:
      Wheeler upper reciever clamshell
      Tapco lower vice block
      Craftsman 1/2" drive torque wrench (cheap at the moment BTW, they go on sale for Christmas)
      Borrowed my brother's DPMS armorer's wrench for my first, second used a propitiatory barrel nut and an A2 stock so I didn't need one. If your handguard uses a special wrench it is usually included so you can just get a castle nut wrench if you need one for the buffer tube.
      MASKING TAPE IS HUGE for keeping the receiver safe while you put the bolt catch in. Duct tape works too but leaves residue everywhere.
      Box end wrenches and a smaller ball peen hammer pretty much sums up the rest.

I have brass stuff for my cap and ball revolvers but I have never needed it for my AR's.

Comment

Working...
      X