• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 6mmintl
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2017

Reworking my Howa HB

Decided to reinforce my trigger guard action screw reccesses, made some stepped insert and epoxied in, can now torque tightly and plastic flow into pillar holes has stopped.

Also bedded action and slotted forend for more cooling, freefloated barrel, rifle has Timney trigger that previous owner installed, orig triggers are fine if you clip 1-2 coils off 2 springs inside.

Going to see how flexible foreend is next range trip, if it is ill add epoxy and lead shot to stiffin foreend and add weight.

Last edited by 6mmintl; 11-13-2017, 04:12 PM.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Very nice work. I'm going to put flush cups in my stock, looks just like yours.

Interesting approach with the bottom polymer.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lrgrendel
      Warrior
      • Jul 2013

Nice job....

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

Did you use a milling machine for the slots?

Comment

• 6mmintl
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2017

Yes on milling machine, .250 four flute end cut, plunge and run

Comment

• Lone Hunter
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

This is on a Howa 1500 HB and not on the Mini Action correct? Or is this on the Mini Action? Nice Work.. The reason I'm asking is I didn't think Timney made a trigger for the Mini but if they do I would like to replace mine. Sure do wish they (someone) would make metal bottom metal and magazine. Never have been a fan of plastic and I really like Glocks. Kinda stupid reasoning isn't it?

Comment

• Lone Hunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

6mmintl, you should contact Howa and show them your idea on the bottom metal. Maybe this would help on torquing the bottom metal. I torqued mine to 50" lbs and waited to hear it snap but it never did. I like your idea a lot. I just feel better when there is metal to metal contact.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                Warrior
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Lone Hunter View Post
                This is on a Howa 1500 HB and not on the Mini Action correct? Or is this on the Mini Action? Nice Work.. The reason I'm asking is I didn't think Timney made a trigger for the Mini but if they do I would like to replace mine. Sure do wish they (someone) would make metal bottom metal and magazine. Never have been a fan of plastic and I really like Glocks. Kinda stupid reasoning isn't it?

Timney do NOT make a trigger for the mini....
                I went through that whole thing, actually received one but it does not fit.

There is a thread on the subject.

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Lone Hunter View Post
                  6mmintl, you should contact Howa and show them your idea on the bottom metal. Maybe this would help on torquing the bottom metal. I torqued mine to 50" lbs and waited to hear it snap but it never did. I like your idea a lot. I just feel better when there is metal to metal contact.
                  I just received a Howa Grendel and the manual says to torque to 55 in-lbs.

My trigger feels great. I can't imagine much better.

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                    I just received a Howa Grendel and the manual says to torque to 55 in-lbs.

My trigger feels great. I can't imagine much better.
                    Better would be a loss of 16oz or more. The HCR version I got a hold of is nice, but I am looking at tweaking it a little. Cutting springs...shudder.
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• 6mmintl
                      Unwashed
                      • Oct 2017

I looked at timney site also and did not see it listed, BUT, this rifle does have a timney in it.

Will take pictures, I bought it second hand locally here in Boise, Id.
                      Last edited by 6mmintl; 11-13-2017, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• 6mmintl
                        Unwashed
                        • Oct 2017

To be quite honest the std. Howa mini trigger with a tune up (cut 1-1 1/2 coils off each spring x2) is as good as this timney.

You can save yourself some money with minumum mech. Skills.

Comment

• 6mmintl
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2017

I bought the howa 20 moa picatinny rail from brownells
                          and it did not seat properly, i had to re-macine front pad to properly mount.

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by 6mmintl View Post
                            I bought the howa 20 moa picatinny rail from brownells
                            and it did not seat properly, i had to re-macine front pad to properly mount.
                            I had a Weaver base for a Rem 7600 and a Marlin 36 and thought I would drill some extra holes and put one on the Howa since I am waiting for an Outer Impact base to be shipped.

I was surprised to find the front and rear receiver rings on the Howa are not parallel but taper away from the center of the receiver.

Why do they make these things more complicated?

I hope the Outer Impact base fits.

Comment

• Sticks
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2016

Bed the rail. Once finished, you will probably gain another 5 MOA also.

Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                              X