• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Delta Team Tactical Review

I've seen a few guys mention Delta Team since they had some good deals on side charging uppers. Below is a review that I wrote about them (as a company) and posted on another forum. I thought that I would re-post it here since there is still some questions about them.

Omega Mfg - https://www.omegamanufacturinginc.com/
    Delta Team Tactical - https://www.deltateamtactical.com/
    Davidson Defense - https://davidsondefense.com/

All three are the same company out of Utah. Don't ask me why they have three different names and web sties

They have some (apparent) really good deals which leaves a lot of people asking, Are they any good? and Who are they anyways?

I have placed a number of orders with them now and would like to help people who may have come across one of their sales and are wondering if they should take a chance and place that order.

When they first started out, the customer service was pretty bad which was probably due to under-staffing. They also had a lot of parts mis-labeled. This could have been them trying to be deceptive or it may have just been ignorance on the part of a new employee at a young company. More on this below.

Their customer service is actually getting pretty good now. I left a message with one of their customer service reps recently when their lines were busy. She called back within ten minutes. That never happens with any company I call so I was pretty impressed. The parts mix-ups are getting less frequent as well. Their selection is getting better and their shipping times are getting faster. It looks like they are getting their feet underneath them and are stepping up.

Here are some things that you should know though.

First: They buy surplus, blems and overstock then sell it cheap.

This can be good or bad.

The good
    I have gotten some great deals on quality parts from them.

The bad

Some of the horror stories that I or my friends have had include:
    They were selling stripped uppers at a really good price. My buddy bought a bunch. When they came in, they didn't quite look right. Upon closer inspection, he thinks they were air-soft uppers. Needless to say that they were enough off that you couldn't assemble them. It was a bit of a hassle to get them returned. Again, this may have been them trying to be deceptive, or they honestly may not have known the difference.

Another time they were selling name brand drop in triggers at a great price. While these were the actual name brand trigger, they were blems. Functionally they were fine, but the fact that they were blems wasn't made known to us. You could tell by looking at them though. A phone call to the trigger manufacture confirmed it. Delta Team was supposed sell them without using the manufactures name on the trigger or in the advertising.

I bought a bunch of their pistol kits at a steal of price. The kits included everything but the lower. All of them functioned flawlessly. However one of them had some pretty bad scratches on the finish of the handguard and you could see where they tried to hide them with a Sharpie. Another one had the handguard misaligned with the upper. The picatinny rails were about 3/32 of an inch off (not clocked correctly) from the upper to the hand-guard. It functioned well, but looked kind of bad.

Second: Their "kits" are just a bunch of overstock parts that they are trying to clear out.
    What I mean is that they don't package a kit based on which parts work well together. After all, AR-15s are as interchangeable as LEGO's right

Those that build enough ARs know that not all parts work well together. I purchased one kit from them where the BUIS would physically not work with the hand guard. They were polymer sights and so they were a little thicker than aluminum ones. The hand guard was a wide diameter free float style and hit the bottom of the BUS mount. You simply could not use them together. I switched to a set of aluminum BUIS and they worked great, but obviously no one at their company tried to assemble one of those kits before selling them. That being said, most of the parts in the kit were obviously from Anderson and it was a great price for it.

Third They have their own "name brand" parts.
    The jury is still out on these. I don't know who makes them, but would like to find out if anybody knows.

Conclusion You can build a good AR15 with their parts for well under $400. You just have to be willing to put up with some potential hassles and do a bit of quality control on your end. This may be enough to keep you from using them altogether (as some of my friends now), but I still use them. Like I said, you can build a good gun for under $400 and not everyone can afford $800+ for a rifle.
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor
  • paulw
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2017

Thanks for the review FG....
    I ordered a dual side charging upper and a couple (closeout?) $7 Black Hawk branded Ergo grips on 11/7 and the post office had it on 11/8, so that part of the transaction is great. I'll check everything out carefully when it gets here.

Update 11/10:
    My order was delivered with today's mail & it all looks good.
    Very nice finish on the dual charge upper and bcg - still not sure what I'm going to do with it....
    Last edited by paulw; 11-11-2017, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Thanks for the thorough and honest review.

Didn't know they were in Utah. Maybe I can arrange for a visit some time if I can find where they're at.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jackwagon
        Warrior
        • Jul 2017

I bought one of those (name brand triggers) If I remember correctly it was after the holidays last year. Anyway it showed in stock when I purchased, I received confirmation email of my purchase, then the next day I got another email that it was out of stock.... I sent several emails that got no reply, the last being that I would turn the matter over to American Express if I had not received the item or credit refund by the 29th day after purchase. The next day I got tracking info and delivery within the week. What I didn't get was an explanation - excuse- apology - thanks or KMA. Hopefully for whoever orders from them they have in fact gotten better.. I wont be using them again.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

I did a couple orders from Omega and one from Delta.
          One Omega order took a month and a half to receive because they had to assemble an upper and were waiting for parts.
          The other order from Omega and the Delta order was about a week.
          All products were as described. I will order from them again.

Comment

• 82HALO
            Warrior
            • Nov 2015

I have ordered some parts from them and received what I ordered with fast shipping! Did not order any kits! I have heard all the horror stories about them, but never had a problem! My last order from them was a year ago!

Comment

• just_john
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2012

Over the past couple of years, have ordered quite a numbe of parts from both Omega and DeltaTeam ranging from barrels to LPKs and have never had an issue with them. Deliveries have always been timely and goods as documented in the respective ads. Would buy from them again without reservation.

Comment

• DoorMed13
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2019

I ordered a "Goliath" 24" assembled upper with the stainless steel barrel they listed as having the ELD "Match" barrel. The advertising implied the upper was very accurate. Upon receiving it I performed the preliminary fire---clean---fire---clean---fire---clean etc. break-in procedure for the barrel. After the 5th round of firing and cleaning I allowed the barrel to return to ambient temp. then fired a few foulers to ready the bore for accuracy testing. The assembly shot like a dog, I mean I could have gotten a tighter group if I had used a sling shot to launch the rounds down range instead of that piece of garbage from delta team tactical. To add insult and nearly INJURY to the equation, the gas block they installed slid forward fully exposing the hole in the barrel and had I just hand cycled a fresh round into the chamber instead of checking, I'd have wound up having 60,000 psi heated gas venting up through the hole and around the hand guard. When I contacted delta team tactical and informed them, their response was "If you used loctite on the set screws you're going to have to pay for a new gas block"!!! My only response to that B.S. was the following : If the idiot in QC had done his job and checked the upper before it left the factory he'd have found that the other idiot that assembled the upper didn't even use two set screws let alone properly secure the one he did install!!!!! I wonder what my attorney would think about their duty to provide at the very least a safe product since the 4 inch shotgun style pattern 5 shot group that garbage produced is about as far from accurate as one can get firing 123 gr. HORNADY BLACK ammo thru it. Like I said, a 3 year old with a garden hose could pattern better than this upper.

Comment

• DoorMed13
                  Unwashed
                  • Jun 2019

Delta team tactical a.k.a. Davidson defense

If you value your hard earned money and want to avoid POOR ACCURACY, POTENTIAL INJURY, DISAPPOINTMENT and LOADS OF EXCUSES then avoid using any products from DELTA TEAM TACTICAL a.k.a. DAVIDSON DEFENSE. They may also go by a third name but I'm not sure what it is. In reality I don't really care since I'll never ever buy their sub standard, 2nd. rate blemished garbage heap parts and assemblies again. I believe I read in this forum that they even tried to pass off "AIRSOFT" uppers as AR uppers!!!!!! How does this happen unless it's some kind of "junk" clearing house and they don't have a clue in hell about firearms or product liability! My only assumption given my dealings with them is they appear to be a back woods garage startup and put up a low rent web site to off load junk parts and to hell with the people they sell to. I've read some threads stating they have had some o.k. experiences with this company but maybe they're not as picky as I am or just lucky. If I were them I'd run out and buy a lottery ticket asap!
                  When someone makes a claim about their product, I at least expect it to live up to the claim! Since they didn't have a problem taking my money I expected to get what they claimed to be selling and not the snake oil I got.
                  This is company apparently more interested in sales than safety and the upper they assembled and sent me with one loose gas block set screw and the other one missing proved that beyond any shadow of a doubt. Who assembles an AR and installs the gas block with only one set screw and without blue loctite to keep them in place? I don't think I've ever heard of or seen such a thing in my 57 years on this earth and 45 years handling firearms but what do I know except that they'll never see another dime of my money and hopefully none of yours either! Hell if they're not going to sell "good parts", they should at least be selling parts that are safe to use and have some sort of QC in place so folks don't get their heads blown off using what they thought were safe parts.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by DoorMed13 View Post
                    If you value your hard earned money and want to avoid POOR ACCURACY, POTENTIAL INJURY, DISAPPOINTMENT and LOADS OF EXCUSES then avoid using any products from DELTA TEAM TACTICAL a.k.a. DAVIDSON DEFENSE. They may also go by a third name but I'm not sure what it is. In reality I don't really care since I'll never ever buy their sub standard, 2nd. rate blemished garbage heap parts and assemblies again. I believe I read in this forum that they even tried to pass off "AIRSOFT" uppers as AR uppers!!!!!! How does this happen unless it's some kind of "junk" clearing house and they don't have a clue in hell about firearms or product liability! My only assumption given my dealings with them is they appear to be a back woods garage startup and put up a low rent web site to off load junk parts and to hell with the people they sell to. I've read some threads stating they have had some o.k. experiences with this company but maybe they're not as picky as I am or just lucky. If I were them I'd run out and buy a lottery ticket asap!
                    When someone makes a claim about their product, I at least expect it to live up to the claim! Since they didn't have a problem taking my money I expected to get what they claimed to be selling and not the snake oil I got.
                    This is company apparently more interested in sales than safety and the upper they assembled and sent me with one loose gas block set screw and the other one missing proved that beyond any shadow of a doubt. Who assembles an AR and installs the gas block with only one set screw and without blue loctite to keep them in place? I don't think I've ever heard of or seen such a thing in my 57 years on this earth and 45 years handling firearms but what do I know except that they'll never see another dime of my money and hopefully none of yours either! Hell if they're not going to sell "good parts", they should at least be selling parts that are safe to use and have some sort of QC in place so folks don't get their heads blown off using what they thought were safe parts.
                    And guys wonder why more experienced and long term members suggest not to do business with no name shops, that use no name parts.

Comment

• Cduncan
                      Unwashed
                      • Jun 2019

I have bought three parts kits and one assembled upper from them without any problems. I QCed my upper when I received it and found everything to be properly torqued and no missing parts. I will continue to consider them for my parts needs in the future.

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

After Frontier's review of them, the OP, I put them on my own "do not buy" list. As A5 puts it, and the gist of them here is, it's a hit-n-miss company. Life is too short for me to think of using them. Others, of course are free to spend their own time n money. Your chances of being happy with your purchase, however, go up if you stick to better vendors.
                        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• FLshooter
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2019

I’ve dealt with Delta team tactical.I bought a couple Aero precision uppers and some AR accessories.Handguard,buffer springs,charging handle ect..And I’ve had a few buddies buy from them too.
                          The only complaint I have and it’s not a major complaint is that they drag their feet a little on delivering your order . But I haven’t dealt with them in a while now.From what I’ve heard they’ve improved.
                          Everything I’ve bought from DTT was good,same with my buddies’ stuff. Now days I just buy a complete upper from BCA ,take off the barrel.
                          BCA upper recievers,hand guards gas block,tube and BCG are worth more than the $175 I just paid for their whole upper,which came with a 20” 223 Wilde SS barrel,which I’ll sell for at least $50.$125 for all the parts to build an upper.And all USA made.
                          Anyway,DTT parts and prices were good.Delivery was slow.Never dealt w/their CS.For me,I get most parts for my upper builds @BCA.Lowers from PSA.Both have speedy delivery and great CS.
                          Last edited by FLshooter; 07-05-2019, 10:13 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• ARErector
                            Bloodstained
                            • Sep 2019

I've bought quite a few kits, uppers, triggers, bolts and parts from Delta Team Tactical. Their shipping times have varried greatly. From a few days to almost 2 months once, usually 2 to 3 weeks. Their customer service has varried as well. I will not buy any more of their assembled uppers, or at least I would reassemble them myself if they had a great deal. I have had 2 or 3 uppers out of 5 that were not properly assembled. 1 had a barrel nut that was not even hand tight with the gas tube through the hole in the nut. The nut literally rattled on the gas tube. The second had a loose gas block. The third may have been something other than the upper.
                            All of them worked flawlessly after proper assembly. All of the guns I've built from their parts have worked flawlessly (once I had them built right). Accuracy has usually just been acceptable for a basic AR, around 2 moa, but some have been impressive for such a cheaply built AR.
                            One standout is a .224 Valkyrie upper with a 20" ELD Performance barrel. With a Toolcraft DLC coated BCG and a cheap charging handle to complete the upper and mated to the lower from my only "high end" AR, it is more accurate than any other AR I have. I'm shooting 1/2 to 3/4 moa and I'm quite sure I can do better. I need to swap the scope over from the "high end" upper to be able to see better. (I'll also have to build another lower to stay with it permanently)
                            I will continue to buy from Delta Team Tactical. I just don't expect fast delivery or awesome accuracy, but sometimes get both. I just ordered a complete 6.5 Grendel upper with a 20" ELD Performance barrel. I'll report on that after I've put a few rounds down range.
                            I've also built a Ceratac AR on an EP Armory 80% polymer lower. That also works flawlessly and is fairly accurate. It was built as an experiment, the cheapest non pistol AR I could build. Most people probably couldn't tell which guns cost $300 to build and which cost $800. And accuracy has seemed to be more random than the more expensive barrels always being more accurate.

Comment

Working...
                            X