• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wilecoyote
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Another trigger tryout this weekend, CMC this time

Woohoo!!! Thought I would not have the new trigger here till Monday. I was wrong, it's out for delivery. I'll have to pay for that good fortune somehow, summertime... hmmmmm...

Anyway, this time it's a CMC two stage 2 & 2. First time I've used a CMC, so should be interesting. Looking forward to it. Hopefully it's here in a couple hours. I'll then be able to remove the MBT and install the CMC. Seems to have had pretty goods reviews.

Everytime I think my rifles are done, something else seems to come up. Standardizing my triggers in my Grendel and Creedmoor wasn't necessary, but I thought it would be better. It'll also give me an indication on what I should buy forreview. Creedmoor build without spending all the time for it specifically.
  • ty_hooper12
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Comment

• wilecoyote
      Warrior
      • Jul 2013

Cool Ty, thanks for the info. I really hope it works for me too. It does have the antiwalk pins with screws. It seems really well made. Like the bow, the width is nice.

One thing this little adventure has proved to me is that pictures don't do these pieces (triggers in this case) justice. Having them in hand;so to speak, is far better. The work and attention to detail is interesting and nice.

Only bad part is if they don't fit what you're looking for. When that is said (when I say it), it is not criticizing the item or any that have it. It is just meant that it wasn't what I was looking for. There's a lot I've chosen that I'm sure others wouldn't like.

Comment

• ty_hooper12
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

No doubt having them in hand hand is great. I forgot to mention I bought the flat faced trigger just to try something new and I absolutely love it

Comment

• wilecoyote
          Warrior
          • Jul 2013

Mine is a flat bow too. Should be interesting, it is replacing an Geissele SD-E so we'll see.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
            Warrior
            • Nov 2017

Please let us know how it is. I've been curious about them. I've tried the Velocity 3lb trigger about a year a go. The break on it was nice and clean. Too light of a trigger pull for my liking on a hunting gun though (300 BLK), and I sold it. On my 6.5 Grendel build I used a Raise Armament RA-140 trigger. The RA-140 is good, but not as good as the Velocity and not as good as I was expecting. Now I wish I had kept the Velocity trigger or got a 4.5 pound Velocity trigger. The RA-140 is still ok, about like the trigger on my 30-30. It breaks clean but has a slight amount of creep and can feel "mushy" sometimes.

Another one that interests me is the JMT trigger.
            Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Joseph5
              Warrior
              • Oct 2012

I have CMC triggers in 3 rifles and I love them. They are all single stage which is my preference. The newest one is is a flat trigger which I am still getting use to. I prefer them to every other trigger I have tried.

Comment

• J.Boyette
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2017

I love the CBC single stage. The 2 stage i tried in 2015 needed some more work.

I hope your is better.

Comment

• wilecoyote
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2013

Well firearm testing won't happen today. Weather is pretty crappy this morning and have a concert to attend later this evening. Hopefully tomorrow.

I have installed the CMC into a trigger chassis that allows me to do some dry fires. So I have some initial observations.

The trigger itself is pretty nice. Installation was quick and easy. This has the screws that go in each end of the pins. That of course differs with the website at CMC where it states there are no screws. I don't think I'd change these to another type/brand of anti-walk pins as there's no real reason other than maybe aesthetics if that's what's being sought.

Edges are smooth and the straight bow actually feels pretty good. The little hook on the end is not intrusive or anything at all. In fact, the straight bow on the CMC feels better to me than the Geissele SD-E that I had.

I was interested to see how the stainless steel sheet metal housing was going to be. It's actually very nice and formed well. It fit the chassis nice and snug, no wiggling or anything.

The hammer, sear and disconnector design are different and very interesting. Actually kind of cool. The hammer is large with a big flat face.

Takeup was not overly long. It seemed comparable to my AR Gold in length. By contrast the MBT felt longer. These observations are all by feel at different times so I'd have to do measurements to verify. Pull weights between the CMC and MBT felt similar with the AR Gold being the lightest take up by far.

I did have the CMC in the chassis, the MBT is still installed in my Grendel (for now) and the AR Gold in my Creedmoor. This allowed me to try each without having switch out the triggers. It also provided the opportunity to notice other traits I had missed before, more on that below.

After the take up, the second stage wall is hit. On all the it was well defined on all of them.

The break was nice and crisp as with the others with no creep I could detect. Again I could be wrong as this is all by feel.

Reset had a little travel distance. Longer than the AR Gold, but shorter than the MBT. When reset was reached, it was audible and felt clearly being similar to the MBT. The AR Gold is there, but somewhat softer than the CMC or MBT for lack of a better term. The AR Gold is still very noticeable, but the CMC and MBT were more pronounced. This is where I noticed something I hadn't before. The reset on the CMC felt smooth for the distance traveled as with the AR Gold. The MBT, that actually felt gritty. Movement of the trigger back and forth in the region between full pull back and reset felt smoother on the CMC than the MBT. I can't feel much on that AR Gold because it's reset distance is short, real short.

Overtravel was minimal on all, to the point of being not noticeable.

In the end, I like the CMC. I'll get it installed and give it a try. It has made my list of possible triggers to standardize on along with Geissele and AR Gold. The CMC in my eyes (and hands) is well made and functions really well. It being a drop in actually gives it an edge over the Geissele's in my book. Yes the AR Gold is still the front runner for me because the only thing I haven't really cared for with it is the thin trigger bow.

It was actually disconcerting finding traits in comparison that had gone unnoticed. Oh well, that's partially the point of why I'm trying all these triggers and finding what will work best for me. Would I hesitate in buying and paying the cost for a CMC? Nope... No problem at all, seems like a really good trigger and worth the price. If I run into anything during actual firearm testing I'll be sure post any findings.

Comment

• wilecoyote
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2013

Got it mounted in my rifle. Just as a review (or two) had stated, there's a slight bit of play in it and no way to snug it up to the receiver.

Bummer... The take up, wall, break and reset on the CMC feels/felt pretty good. Certainly a lot better than before. Using past tense because not gonna keep this one either. On to the selling them off and the next try.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2017

Thanks for the update. You just saved me $100 to find out for myself.
                      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• wilecoyote
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
                        Thanks for the update. You just saved me $100 to find out for myself.
                        No worries, glad it saved you some time and money. I'd go with the CMC in a second before I'd go with the LaRue if I had to choose between the two.

Comment

• js8588
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2017

So, I've been reading your reviews with interest. I have 4 different AR triggers at the moment: A Ruger 452 Elite (still in its chassis), a Fail Zero (I believe this is an NiB coated RA 140) in my 6.5 Grendel target build (pending completion with a new Bolt/BCG as the Young Mfg didn't work out), a Geissele SD-E in my Barrett REC7 DMR, and a Christensen Arms/Triggertech/Viking Tactics Truss Trigger on a nearly complete RECCE build.

In order of preference-
                          Truss
                          Fail Zero
                          SD-E

Give the triggertech a shot. The "short two stage" is outstanding, light but not too light (3/4ths lb first stage, 2.75lb 2nd stage) and it locks up nice and tight in the lower receiver.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/christe...-assembly.html (It was around $180 when I bought it. Alabama Arsenal YouTube channel has a 10% off promo running with OpticsPlanet right now through November 30th with the code ALArsenal10.)

I will be giving an MBT a shot when they go on sale on Black Friday. You have me seriously considering an AR Gold though too.

Comment

• wilecoyote
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by js8588 View Post
                            So, I've been reading your reviews with interest. I have 4 different AR triggers at the moment: A Ruger 452 Elite (still in its chassis), a Fail Zero (I believe this is an NiB coated RA 140) in my 6.5 Grendel target build (pending completion with a new Bolt/BCG as the Young Mfg didn't work out), a Geissele SD-E in my Barrett REC7 DMR, and a Christensen Arms/Triggertech/Viking Tactics Truss Trigger on a nearly complete RECCE build.

In order of preference-
                            Truss
                            Fail Zero
                            SD-E

Give the triggertech a shot. The "short two stage" is outstanding, light but not too light (3/4ths lb first stage, 2.75lb 2nd stage) and it locks up nice and tight in the lower receiver.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/christe...-assembly.html (It was around $180 when I bought it. Alabama Arsenal YouTube channel has a 10% off promo running with OpticsPlanet right now through November 30th with the code ALArsenal10.)

I will be giving an MBT a shot when they go on sale on Black Friday. You have me seriously considering an AR Gold though too.
                            Js8588, thanks for the reply and suggestion. I was just reading about the triggertech yesterday. Seemed interesting and I wouldn't mind giving one a try. I have to sell this CMC of first though. Trying to not keep a bunch of these laying around even though I'm actually going to need three (four if i switch my carbine too) of whatever I decide to go with. Started another Creedmoor build along with a bigbore AR build.

I'll wish you luck with both the MBT and the AR Gold if you're going to try them. So far the AR Gold will be the one I stick with.

Thanks again.

Comment

• PVBoom
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2017

Thanks for the community service.

Comment

Working...
                              X