• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Wasn’t referring to you!

Yes plenty of hogs, just wish I had a place to hunt them.....

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

About 15 years ago a male African lion escaped in Texas, Game Warden was looking for tracks on the road near a friends lease. His Dad talked to the GW and the Warden said if he were him he would not go on that place without a big gun and with a big gun kill that lion. He went home and called his best friend and they went out with the 45-70s lion hunting. Of course they never saw the lion but they were on their only lion hunt.

His Mom had the Movie Second Hand Lions set to play at the lion hunting scene when they got back to the house. They watched it then sat drinking beer talking about if that lion had just showed up. Good times and fun thinking about those days

Comment

• Troutguide
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

Good times! I'm in for a good tiger hunt.
        "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• Joseph5
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

don't under estimate the Grendel! If on the off chance you did see it and get it make sure you get it full body mounted!

Comment

• Mad Charlie
            Warrior
            • May 2017

Well, I'm in central FL. too, I do have three .45-70's and two Grendels...

I found some mighty big cat tracks up in Appalachicola last year during late muzzleloader, about the only time I felt that .54 might be a little small...
            Last edited by Mad Charlie; 11-13-2017, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

One of the most renowned lion hunters ever, Jim Corbett, used mostly a 7mm Mauser. Due to British pride, they called it the .275 Rigby.

He specifically was called in to villages to hunt man-eating tigers that were responsible for hundreds of deaths.

He was a small man, very cunning, very attenuated to his surroundings and the signs he would hear from the local animal populations that alerted him to the presence of the lions.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• PVBoom
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

As I recall, the standard method for British Lion/Tiger hunters, was to bait the felines with a goat tied to a tree, perch overhead and shoot when the animal came in for the prey.

Comment

• just_john
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2012

The locals prefered that he use goats instead of tying up villagers. These were "man-eaters" that he was hunting.

Comment

• PVBoom
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

I guess those villagers didn't entirely get into the spirit of the thing...

Comment

• Randy99CL
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by PVBoom View Post
                      As I recall, the standard method for British Lion/Tiger hunters, was to bait the felines with a goat tied to a tree, perch overhead and shoot when the animal came in for the prey.
                      That plan didn't work so well in Jurassic Park.
                      "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by PVBoom View Post
                        In reading Corbett's books, he used cows a lot, lashed to a tree.

He would perch himself in a nearby tree and rack out there for the night. When I read his description of setting up his RON positions, I figured he had to be a small man.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 1075 tech
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          One of the most renowned lion hunters ever, Jim Corbett, used mostly a 7mm Mauser. Due to British pride, they called it the .275 Rigby.

He specifically was called in to villages to hunt man-eating tigers that were responsible for hundreds of deaths.

He was a small man, very cunning, very attenuated to his surroundings and the signs he would hear from the local animal populations that alerted him to the presence of the lions.

Absolutely beautiful cat though.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Mad Charlie View Post
                            Well, I'm in central FL. too, I do have three .45-70's and two Grendels...

I found some mighty big cat tracks up in Appalachicola last year during late muzzleloader, about the only time I felt that .54 might be a little small...
                            Reminds me of the time I was out for squirrels. Had a single shot 12 gauge with shot shells. Came across some bear tracks. I went home.

Comment

• kmon
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2015

Land owner was hunting squirrels on the lease and a Mt Lion crossed a field about 100 yards from him, he headed to the house looking over his shoulder often

Comment

• bj139
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2017

I was fishing in Quebec at a farther lake than the other men I was with. I had about a dozen trout on a stringer and it was creepy still.
                                I thought it was best to head back to the cabin. I was envisioning throwing the fish if a bear showed up.

Comment

Working...
                                X