Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Grendel may not be enough gun.

One of the most renowned lion hunters ever, Jim Corbett, used mostly a 7mm Mauser. Due to British pride, they called it the .275 Rigby.

He specifically was called in to villages to hunt man-eating tigers that were responsible for hundreds of deaths.

He was a small man, very cunning, very attenuated to his surroundings and the signs he would hear from the local animal populations that alerted him to the presence of the lions.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Bloodstained
    As I recall, the standard method for British Lion/Tiger hunters, was to bait the felines with a goat tied to a tree, perch overhead and shoot when the animal came in for the prey.

Warrior
    The locals prefered that he use goats instead of tying up villagers. These were "man-eaters" that he was hunting.

Bloodstained
    I guess those villagers didn't entirely get into the spirit of the thing...

Bloodstained
    Quote Originally Posted by PVBoom View Post
    As I recall, the standard method for British Lion/Tiger hunters, was to bait the felines with a goat tied to a tree, perch overhead and shoot when the animal came in for the prey.
    That plan didn't work so well in Jurassic Park.

Quote Originally Posted by PVBoom View Post
    In reading Corbett's books, he used cows a lot, lashed to a tree.

He would perch himself in a nearby tree and rack out there for the night. When I read his description of setting up his RON positions, I figured he had to be a small man.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    One of the most renowned lion hunters ever, Jim Corbett, used mostly a 7mm Mauser. Due to British pride, they called it the .275 Rigby.

He specifically was called in to villages to hunt man-eating tigers that were responsible for hundreds of deaths.

He was a small man, very cunning, very attenuated to his surroundings and the signs he would hear from the local animal populations that alerted him to the presence of the lions.

Absolutely beautiful cat though.

Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Charlie View Post
    Well, I'm in central FL. too, I do have three .45-70's and two Grendels...

I found some mighty big cat tracks up in Appalachicola last year during late muzzleloader, about the only time I felt that .54 might be a little small...
    Reminds me of the time I was out for squirrels. Had a single shot 12 gauge with shot shells. Came across some bear tracks. I went home.

Warrior
    Land owner was hunting squirrels on the lease and a Mt Lion crossed a field about 100 yards from him, he headed to the house looking over his shoulder often

Warrior
    I was fishing in Quebec at a farther lake than the other men I was with. I had about a dozen trout on a stringer and it was creepy still.
    I thought it was best to head back to the cabin. I was envisioning throwing the fish if a bear showed up.