• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Faxon - qpq nitrided barrel question

Just received my 16" faxon gunner barrel for a new upper, looks real nice but I have one question:
    For a qpq finish, which is harder than normal steel, has anybody had trouble with setscrew gas blocks? This barrel does not have the dimple underneath that I'm used to seeing on other barrels... so will the setscrews still hold tightly OK?
    That dimple also helped me align my GB during install... o well...

I'm going to use this one for my "shorter" barrel woods huntin' rig...
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I didn’t use any dimples on barrel for my gas block but I did bed my gas block and set screws with blue Permatex thread locker. This was on a 16” Faxon group buy barrel. So far mine has been gtg.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

I've used blue locktite on the screws for a couple builds... hmm, may have to follow your lead on this one.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

still waiting on my GB 18-er... BTF says 2-3 weeks now...
        tick tock, tick tock!!

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Just use the surface intolerante thread locker . Let it dry a few days , then install the screws to proper torque settings.

Comment

• Lastrites
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

An old man once told me that when using setscrews without dedicated dimples to tighten/loosen/tighten them a number of times to let the setscrew really bite into the barrel. Have done it and seems his advise may have been true.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
              An old man once told me that when using setscrews without dedicated dimples to tighten/loosen/tighten them a number of times to let the setscrew really bite into the barrel. Have done it and seems his advise may have been true.
              +1... Never heard from the old man, but that's exactly the way I've done it on 15+ builds along with loktiting the set screws. 0 zilch nada issues...
              DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by AZHTfreak View Post
                +1... Never heard from the old man, but that's exactly the way I've done it on 15+ builds along with loktiting the set screws. 0 zilch nada issues...
                Lastrites/AZHTfreak,
                10-4, now for this being a qpq/nitrided barrel it's much harder than a normal steel surface so I was not sure how that would work. I've tightened them into the surface however and do get some marking. Took some careful measuring first but I now have some good marks to reference off of. They're not super-pronounced bitemarks but they are there so that helps. Will finish it off with some - either purple loctite (since the setscrews are << 1/4") or the surface-insensitive blue.

Had to put the truck into the shop this morning so a bit behind schedule.

R/
                GF

Comment

• just_john
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2012

foxman - most set screws are machined with a slight recess on the face of them. THis creates kind of a biting edge that will cut into the metal surface that it is tightening against. As stated above, crank 'em down a little extra and that edge will make its own dimple. Just be sure that it is in the right place, first!

Comment

• bfk4lyfe
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jul 2017

grayfox, any updates on this? Was looking at this barrel for the same reasons you bought it but can't seem to find much info on it.

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

I'm actually testing out the upper as we speak. As described above, the screws do have a slight recess and corresponding edge which does give a small surface cut into the qpq. I've tightened the up and also added a U-shape of loktite purple that circles to the rear of the GB/gas port hole on the journal, leaving the forward part open (I did this so that sliding on the GB, I would know where the LT went and it would not interfere with the port).
                      I have an adjustable GB but have left it open for now during the breakin and testing. I don't shoot barrels red-hot.

Best hand-load so far over my magnetospeed is 100 gr Amax with 33.1 of CFE223, avg 2668 and SD=3.
                      The Fed AE 90 TNT's (factory) also shoot very well, going 2839, sd=6... and Factory Hornady 123sst's are 2405 (which seems a tad slow but it is what it is).

So overall I'm pretty happy with the barrel. Its profile and 2" shorter length makes it lighter to carry around and I've found at least 2 loads that I can use with it. I have longer ones/heavier ones plus the howa for bench or stand-shooting. I wanted a carry-about style one as well.

Comment

• bfk4lyfe
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jul 2017

Thanks for the info.

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

Look at the 16" open group buy offers too...

Comment

• bfk4lyfe
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jul 2017

I've seen those, but I think I'm going to go for the gunner profile, trying to make the lightest rifle I can. I'm sure the weight difference is minimal but it's more for something to do.

Comment

• grayfox
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2017

No problem, I mention it to let you know of options.....
                              I'm in on the 18" barrels so will build that one in a week or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X