Clear All
  • Mindreader1
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2016

Hornady SST: factory vs handbooks

• grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

In hand loading the rule I follow is, first find the powder charge that gives the best/smallest SD.
    Then play with the coal to find what your rifle likes the best. I'd recommend trying a coal delta of ~0.010 up and down since the sst itself can vary up to 4-5 thou's in coal length.
    Right now my handload sst's are being set at 2.260 b/c that's what my gun seems to prefer.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• ErikS
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

I have found that SSTs shoot better for me when I seat them long. In my bolt guns I get them just off the lands. With my magazine fed rifles, I normally end up being limited by the mag space.
      #shareyourspare

Comment

• fdbyrne78
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2017

Remember that it depends on the gun somewhat. Even the factory loads are way into the lands on my gun. I have to seat the SSTs down to around 2.200" before I'm not into the lands.

That's unusual, but you should probably get some sort of measurement of how long you can load them in your rifle before you touch the lands.

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by fdbyrne78 View Post
          Remember that it depends on the gun somewhat. Even the factory loads are way into the lands on my gun. I have to seat the SSTs down to around 2.200" before I'm not into the lands.

That's unusual, but you should probably get some sort of measurement of how long you can load them in your rifle before you touch the lands.
          +1!!
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
          X