• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mindreader1
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2016

Ftf

Have a lightweight build and loaded some 123 sst this morning but have it seated at around 2.251 while the factory loads were around 2.240. Every two rounds or so I would have a FTF where the cartridge would be stuck in the chamber and I have to use strong force to pop out the round. Could the OAL be the issue? I am loading xbr 8208 and small Winchester primer
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

More likely headspacing, or you are loading too hot.

If the bullet is too long it jams in the lands and pushes back into the case as it goes into battery. If you don't fire it when you pull back on the bolt it often separates the bullet and powder spills everywhere. If you fire it then there will be a pressure spike from it being jammed in the lands but the case should eject properly and not need any force.

If the case is not properly headspaced, i.e. too long, then either the bolt won't go into battery, or if does it's a tight fit. Firing the round makes it even tighter and sticky to unlock.

Another possibility is that you are dangerously overloading your cases and it's a tight extract because the brass has swelled tight in the chamber.

Comment

• Mindreader1
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2016

Comment

• Drillboss
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

Failure to feed or failure to fire?

You can hold the barrel with the muzzle down and drop a loaded round into the chamber. Then turn it muzzle up and see if it falls out. If it doesn't, your COAL is too long and you're into the lands.

A simple headspace check would be to put a sized case into the chamber and see if the bolt will close and if it will eject easily. If not, you need to bump the shoulder back some more.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

I would not use 8208 for 120gn bullets and above. Your 123SST load is hot.

I load 28.5/8208 for the lighter 107SMK and no higher or heavier than that.

Comment

• Mindreader1
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2016

It does seem like a fair number of folks do load that tho. It does fire every 3 rounds or so just not more than that before the bolt gets stuck in the ramp while the round is chambered

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Sure, if it was a overly hot load then every cartridge would be sticky, not just a few.

I take it the factory rounds feed fine and this is just your handloads?

Comment

• Mindreader1
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2016

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

If you have access to a 5.56/223 Pmag they’ll usually feed 4 or 5 rounds of 6.5 Grendel. If the rifle cycles\feeds fine with Pmags and factory ammunition then try your reloads in the Pmag. You could be dealing with a mag issue plus an issue with your hand loads.

Usually you can get a few 6.5 Grendel rounds to feed out of a 5.56/223 magazine before the case taper inhibits proper stacking. To many 6.5 Grendel cartridges swell a 5.56/223 mag but it’s worth trying just a few rounds if you don’t have a proven 6.5 Grendel mag.

Comment

• Mindreader1
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2016

Comment

• davidj
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                      I would not use 8208 for 120gn bullets and above. Your 123SST load is hot.

I load 28.5/8208 for the lighter 107SMK and no higher or heavier than that.
                      KLEM,
                      Have you had a problem with 123gr. A-MAX and 8208? I have been loading 28.4 gr with 123 A-MAX for several years now and I have never had any pressure problems. It is the only load I use other than factory.
                      Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal

Comment

• rabiddawg
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2013

davidj, it has been said that 8208 will spike quickly when loaded under 120+ grain pills. Where as with 100 gr class pills it is much more forgiving.
                        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Mindreader1 View Post
                          Have a lightweight build and loaded some 123 sst this morning but have it seated at around 2.251 while the factory loads were around 2.240. Every two rounds or so I would have a FTF where the cartridge would be stuck in the chamber and I have to use strong force to pop out the round. Could the OAL be the issue? I am loading xbr 8208 and small Winchester primer
                          M1:

Are you bumping the shoulder back sufficiently so the brass will easily chamber and extract? Drop a piece of your sized brass into the chamber. Ride the bolt half way and let it go. If it extracts the brass easily, the shoulder is bumped enough. If you have to use force to extract the brass, bump the shoulder a bit more and try it again.

LR55

Comment

Working...
                          X