Howa Mini Action 6.5 Grendel Youth (HMY30603+)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Howa Mini Action 6.5 Grendel Youth (HMY30603+)

After trying to get a manually operated side charging AR working acceptably for deer hunting in Pennsyslvania, I broke down and bought the Howa Mini Grendel
    Youth model from Whittakers for $350.
    The side charging AR could really only be a single shot and mortar the empty out, unless I loaded extremely light to enable manual ejection.

Youth model issues.
    Length of pull (LOP) is 12.5 inches, idea for a cold weather hunting rifle while wearing a heavy coat. Someone posted that the A2 stock on an AR was
    too long for them at LOP 13.5 inches so this would be ideal for them.
    I thought the youth model may be a tiny version of the Howa 1500 but it just seems to have a shorter LOP.

Here is a photo of my A2 stocked AR with 24" Overwatch upper next to the Youth Howa Mini Grendel.
    The size of this does not suggest a youth model.
    IMG_20171113_114608 (Medium).jpg

The action is incredibly smooth. The Grendel rounds feed from the magazine like it was designed that way, not like any AR magazine fed Grendel
    where it relies on a heavy bolt slamming the case off of tapered surfaces hoping it will end up in the chamber. I did try my reverse seated Wolf
    steel loads to see if they chamber and they feed fine. Pmags will not fit in the magazine recess... but maybe...

The trigger on the Howa mini is wonderful. I don't have a trigger gauge but I would not want a hunting rifle to have a lighter trigger than this.
    I can't believe people are complaining about the trigger pull. I wonder if the youth model has a lighter pull to make up for smaller fingers.
    I cannot detect any creep with my finger. I can feel noticable creep on the 2 LaRue MBTs I have. If the LaRues are a very good trigger then this Howa is excellent.

I waited to buy a scope base since I kept thinking, "0 MOA or 20 MOA? " I finally ordered the Outerimpact 0 MOA scope base from Amazon. In
    Pennsylvania deer hunting, shots beyond 100 yards are rare. If I ever have a chance to shoot 1000 yds I will use my Overwatch upper with SWFA
    scope whch has ~120 MOA of adjustment. I don't have 20 MOA anything on the AR anyway. I could move an SWFA scope to the Howa if I needed to.

What do other Howa owners use for backup sights? Not for CQB but for DH (deer hunting).
    Last edited by bj139; 03-12-2018, 02:38 PM.
  • s3silver
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

I have the same rifle on the way from Whittaker's also. For that price I couldn't hold back. I'm glad to hear the action is smooth and the trigger is great. I will be looking for base and rings soon also. I already have a Vortex Viper 4-12x40 waiting to be mounted.

Comment

• howl
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

For backup on a deer rifle I just use another rifle.

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by howl View Post
        For backup on a deer rifle I just use another rifle.
        You carry 2 rifles in the woods with you?

I meant in case of scope fogging or damage or a deer comes running by at 10 yards.

Since the Howa doesn't come with open sights, see through mounts are out unless you install a set on the barrel.

Comment

• jackwagon
          Warrior
          • Jul 2017

I have been eyeballing that rifle for a few days now, hard to beat $350

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by jackwagon View Post
            I have been eyeballing that rifle for a few days now, hard to beat $350
            I bought when the count remaining went to 9 about a week ago. The count is currently at 2.

Comment

• Randy99CL
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

$350 is a great price for any Howa. Last I checked the barreled actions were around $400 at Brownell's.

Sportsman's Warehouse has a nice one for $400. Comes with a Hogue stock in their Kuiu Verde (?) camo pattern. I like the gray cerakote finish on the metal too. http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...3485/cat133402
              "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• howl
                Warrior
                • Nov 2015

First two don't happen with adequate equipment. Scopes and mounts have become very good in the past twenty years. The only trouble I have had is with mechanical issues with actions; firing pins, jams, etc.

I could point shoot a deer at ten yards, but I use low power variables to account for just that situation. Most people use way too much glass for deer hunting.

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by howl View Post
                  First two don't happen with adequate equipment. Scopes and mounts have become very good in the past twenty years. The only trouble I have had is with mechanical issues with actions; firing pins, jams, etc.

I could point shoot a deer at ten yards, but I use low power variables to account for just that situation. Most people use way too much glass for deer hunting.
                  I believe in redundancy where possible, so I would like to have (BUIS) back up iron sights.

I was hunting deer once in cold weather and got a shot at a deer and CLICK.
                  The bolt must have had lubricant that had thickened from the cold and was now slowing the firing pin down.
                  I removed the bolt and stuck it up my sleeve to warm it up.
                  After about an hour, I had another chance and I quietly put the bolt back in the rifle and BANG. Venison.

I have to flush my new Grendel bolt with lighter fluid. It leaves a very light oil film.
                  Last edited by bj139; 11-14-2017, 03:21 AM.

Comment

• 6mmintl
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2017

I polish off the dull bluing on the howa firing pin to speed up locktime (good already) and alleviate such a sticky possibility.
                    Last edited by 6mmintl; 11-14-2017, 05:13 AM.

Comment

• Blackblue
                      Unwashed
                      • Oct 2017

Anyone know if that sportsman's warehouse version is heavy barrel?

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                        After trying to get a manually operated side charging AR working acceptably for deer hunting in Pennsyslvania, I broke down and bought the Howa Mini Grendel
                        Youth model from Whittakers for $350.
                        The side charging AR could really only be a single shot and mortar the empty out, unless I loaded extremely light to enable manual ejection.

Youth model issues.
                        Length of pull (LOP) is 12.5 inches, idea for a cold weather hunting rifle while wearing a heavy coat. Someone posted that the A2 stock on an AR was
                        too long for them at LOP 13.5 inches so this would be ideal for them.
                        I thought the youth model may be a tiny version of the Howa 1500 but it just seems to have a shorter LOP.

Here is a photo of my A2 stocked AR with 24" Overwatch upper next to the Youth Howa Mini Grendel.
                        The size of this does not suggest a youth model.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]10129[/ATTACH]

The action is incredibly smooth. The Grendel rounds feed from the magazine like it was designed that way, not like any AR magazine fed Grendel
                        where it relies on a heavy bolt slamming the case off of tapered surfaces hoping it will end up in the chamber. I did try my reverse seated Wolf
                        steel loads to see if they chamber and they feed fine. Pmags will not fit in the magazine recess... but maybe...

The trigger on the Howa mini is wonderful. I don't have a trigger gauge but I would not want a hunting rifle to have a lighter trigger than this.
                        I can't believe people are complaining about the trigger pull. I wonder if the youth model has a lighter pull to make up for smaller fingers.
                        I cannot detect any creep with my finger. I can feel noticable creep on the 2 LaRue MBTs I have. If the LaRues are a very good trigger then this Howa is excellent.

I waited to buy a scope base since I kept thinking, "0 MOA or 20 MOA? " I finally ordered the Outerimpact 0 MOA scope base from Amazon. In
                        Pennsylvania deer hunting, shots beyond 100 yards are rare. If I ever have a chance to shoot 1000 yds I will use my Outerwatch upper with SWFA
                        scope whch has ~120 MOA of adjustment. I don't have 20 MOA anything on the AR anyway. I could move an SWFA scope to the Howa if I needed to.

What do other Howa owners use for backup sights? Not for CQB but for DH (deer hunting).
                        Look at the Boyds AT-1 stock. You can adjust for LOP and the comb height. If you have a bolt action, most don't have iron sights. Scopes only. I would say to use quality mounts and optics and you shouldn't have any problems. I have hunted deer since 1970 and only 1 rifle had iron sights along with the scope. Knock on wood , Never had any problems and have rolled the 4 wheeler over on me and the rifle and still killed a deer that morning. I put the Outerimpact 20 moa rail on my Howa Mini and Saturday morning I will be in a tree with it. Put a Leupold 3x9 on top of it also. My closes shot has been 12 yds and I saw the impact with scope set on 3X. JMO but I don't think you need BUIS. Again JMO and it ain't worth much.

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

I could have used iron sights one time and didn't have them.
                          I don't NEED them just like I don't need a scope.
                          My last deer I got with open sights.

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

I was searching for Sportsman's Warehouse Grendel and found this.
                            Check out the last entry.
                            I hope my Howa shoots as well with Wolf steel ammo.
                            I probaby won't since it has the lightweight barrel.
                            Last edited by bj139; 11-14-2017, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                              I could have used iron sights one time and didn't have them.
                              I don't NEED them just like I don't need a scope.
                              My last deer I got with open sights.
                              BJ, I didn't need them either when I was younger. Wait until you get older and the eyes don't see as good as they used too. Like you once , I had a nice 8 pt come in, it was raining hard and the scope fogged up. Actually the lenses got wet and I fogged it up trying to dry it out. Buck caught me wiping on the lenses and I didn't get him. If I had irons,would of been an easy 15 yd shot. I thought about trying to point and shoot but I don't want to risk wounding an animal. I understand where your coming from. It's better to have them and not need them than not have them and need them. I even scope my muzzle loaders now. Getting old sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X