Howa Mini Action 6.5 Grendel Youth (HMY30603+)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

I modified a Pmag to hold 3 rounds and it feeds fine in the Howa.

It fed fine 5 times in a row (3 rounds each time).

Worked better than some crappy AR mags I have used in an AR.

Comment

• Taxed in Maine
      Unwashed
      • Jun 2017

I'm ex military and I don't have redundancy on my hunting rifles. I have a scope on that's appropriate for where I'm hunting. If I'm hunting close its my 308 with a 2-7, made a perfect shot on a running deer at @ 50 ft last year.
      Most hunters are WAY over scoped.
      There is a huge difference in the fov from a pistol scope to a rifle scope!

Those pos see thru mounts will fail you, they are cheap and weak.

Comment

• HowaGrendel
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
        You should use the AR Grendel for deer. I would not have bought the Howa but Pennsylvania still will not allow semiautos for deer hunting.

My wife recently bought the farm inTennessee. I better explain this.
        She actually bought a farm in Tennessee or should I say raw land.
        I guess we will be moving and I can step out the back door and fire off a few rounds whenever the urge strikes.
        I wish we had a place to stay. I have a tent.
        I bought 4 acres outside Savannah, TN.....some good videos on youtube of people living full time in tents, large tents.....

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

I took my Howa Youth Grendel to the range today after taking a break loading for two 6.8 SPC based wildcats, 6x6.8 and American 30.
          I shot some Wolf steel and Factory 123gr Amax at 100 yards.
          After some scope adjustment, I got about a 1 MOA five shot group from the Amax and about a 3 MOA five shot group from the Wolf steel.
          This is the lightweight 20" barrel ($349) from Whittakers with a UTG 4X scope ($42) from Amazon mounted in standard Weaver rings ($12) from Walmart and the Outerimpact scope base from Amazon ($43).
          I got Flickr working for posting photos. They are big now.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Lone Hunter View Post
            Look at the Boyds AT-1 stock. You can adjust for LOP and the comb height. If you have a bolt action, most don't have iron sights. Scopes only. I would say to use quality mounts and optics and you shouldn't have any problems. I have hunted deer since 1970 and only 1 rifle had iron sights along with the scope. Knock on wood , Never had any problems and have rolled the 4 wheeler over on me and the rifle and still killed a deer that morning. I put the Outerimpact 20 moa rail on my Howa Mini and Saturday morning I will be in a tree with it. Put a Leupold 3x9 on top of it also. My closes shot has been 12 yds and I saw the impact with scope set on 3X. JMO but I don't think you need BUIS. Again JMO and it ain't worth much.
            Agree and also agree many are over scoped for hunting. Some googling will show quality glass (ie; quality image) can trump magnification to a degree on lesser quality scopes. Also for hunting having something like 1x for every 100 yards you intend to hunt for coyote size on up should do the trick. Researching target crowd minimums i was seeing a similar 1x for every 100 yards with many saying they had no problem aiming at single digit inches targets at 1000 yards with quality 10x on top end of magnification range. So a quality variable that gets you close to 10x on top and low single digits down low will cover you, there's a reason those are most popular. Skip the iron sights. If a fast option like that was concerned i've seen those little pistol red dots mounted on a 45 degree angle right on your scope tube...that seems like the solution if needed but i've called and killed lots of coyotes moving fast at even 30 yards with fixed 4x and it's not an issue for me.

I've got experience so my personal hunting grendel is going to wear a fixed 6x with target knob. The one i'm setting up for the kids is a howa on mdt lss chassis (i'd choose this over boyds at one stock, i have both now, that's my choice fyi to have a gun that can grow with the kids). i've waffled on fixed for the kids but instead i'm going to run a 2-7x33 with a target elevation knob, we won't care about shooting past 6-700 on top end anyway for what we do. I think with a speed dial knob i'll get up to about 600 yards in one revolution with a 200 yard zero and it's about ideal for the grendel cartridge in hunting application anyway. I'm all about efficiency in all ways. Why be over scoped, carry the weight etc.? If i wanted to go 1000 yards i'd be looking at the vx5/6 2-10/12 x 42's with dual rotation knobs and lots of moa adjustment but add another 6-8 ounces to my rifle to do it. I'll do that on a creedmoor build.

Comment

• rickt300
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

Is that tip off mounts or clamp on mounts?
              I guess you zeroed each scope independently.
              Must have missed this post a while back. Yes both scopes had been zeroed on the rifle and the rings were the old style Weavers with the screws on one side but the new ones would work just the same. You mount the rings on the bases, pushing them up forward against the shoulder of the notch snugly, mount your scope in the rings at the right eye relief and your set after you sight in. Often you can remove one scope and put the other on and not be able to see any POI change. I used 4x Leupold's and the rifle was a custom Springfield O3A3 but I have done this on a couple of other rifles. I was hunting Wyoming and iron sights seemed too much of a handicap out there though the rifle had good open sights.

Comment

• Melglass
                Bloodstained
                • May 2016

Wish they made a threaded youth model. Would be perfect for my kids.

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

Why would you need threads for your kids?

Comment

• Melglass
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2016

Run suppressed. May get the HB and cut the stock.

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

The HB on the Grendel is listed as muzzle size .720" not the .825" of the larger cartridges so it is probably very convenient at 20" long.

Comment

• Melglass
                        Bloodstained
                        • May 2016

The HB on the Grendel is listed as muzzle size .720" not the .825" of the larger cartridges so it is probably very convenient at 20" long.
                        That’s what I was thinking. And I think they come threaded now if I am reading correctly. If not that is just enough shoulder for 5/8-24. Just have to fire the lathe up.

Comment

Working...
                        X