Howa Mini Action 6.5 Grendel Youth (HMY30603+)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

LH,
    I am 60 so I know what you mean about the eyes.
    My eyes are fixed focus at about 3 feet, so perfect for open sights. I won't be able to see antlers without glasses so... glasses on, glasses off.

It's funny how the military guys understand BUIS (back up iron sights). I guess when your life is on the line, redundancy is not a bad idea.

I have 45 degree picatinny rail sights for my AR so a slight turn of the rifle and I have sights again.
    I will try to rig something for the Howa bolt action.

Here is a photo of the user end of my Remington 7600. Open sights and 4X scope but I wanted to try a Grendel instead.
    IMG_20171114_083055 (Medium).jpg

Comment

• howl
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

If your experiences with scopes and mounts are largely made up of using those see through mounts, I can see why you feel the need for a back up. If you were to put something rock solid with a wide field of view on the low end, just as an experiment say, then your opinion might change. I suggest a DNZ mount and a Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x (from NatchezSS.) Just give it a whirl one time as a low cost experiment. I bet your experience will be pleasant and carefree.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

LOL, That looks just like the Remington 742 I had. Had it set up just like that. After I rolled the 4 wheeler over I have thought many times about back up sights. I have never hunted with an AR ( for deer)but as good as it shoots and the Mini Grendel I will be doing so this year. I really like the Mini Grendel. Where I hunt is pine trees and thickets. The only time you can shoot long distance is when they clear cut the pines. Hell, for that matter, irons would be just fine where I hunt I just prefer scopes. Good Luck Hunting This Year.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by howl View Post
          If your experiences with scopes and mounts are largely made up of using those see through mounts, I can see why you feel the need for a back up. If you were to put something rock solid with a wide field of view on the low end, just as an experiment say, then your opinion might change. I suggest a DNZ mount and a Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x (from NatchezSS.) Just give it a whirl one time as a low cost experiment. I bet your experience will be pleasant and carefree.
          I have not had a scope fail but I did have a running buck pass by me at about 20 yards and I had a Contender pistol with a 4X scope.
          Point and shoot did not work.

I took this inferior mounted 7600 to the range a week ago after being in storage for 20 years and the first shot at 50 yards was 1" high and 1" right.
          Fine for woodland deer hunting and I still have the iron sights.
          Last edited by bj139; 11-14-2017, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Lone Hunter View Post
            LOL, That looks just like the Remington 742 I had. Had it set up just like that. After I rolled the 4 wheeler over I have thought many times about back up sights. I have never hunted with an AR ( for deer)but as good as it shoots and the Mini Grendel I will be doing so this year. I really like the Mini Grendel. Where I hunt is pine trees and thickets. The only time you can shoot long distance is when they clear cut the pines. Hell, for that matter, irons would be just fine where I hunt I just prefer scopes. Good Luck Hunting This Year.
            You should use the AR Grendel for deer. I would not have bought the Howa but Pennsylvania still will not allow semiautos for deer hunting.

My wife recently bought the farm inTennessee. I better explain this.
            She actually bought a farm in Tennessee or should I say raw land.
            I guess we will be moving and I can step out the back door and fire off a few rounds whenever the urge strikes.
            I wish we had a place to stay. I have a tent.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

What part of Tennessee ? I will use the AR for deer and coyotes and the Howa. They both shoot very good. I've always hunted with a bolt gun except that 742 Remington in 30/06. Nothing against semi autos but I just like a bolt gun. My wife is from Potter County in N West Pennsylvania. Used to go up there every year until her grandparents passed. Another reason I like the Grendel is my .300 WM is using 71.4 grs powder my .308 is using 42.6. The Grendel will kill them just as dead for a lot less powder and recoil. Plus I like new cartridges and guns. Win,Win all the way round.

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

The land is near Allardt.

I know what you mean about bolt actions.
                The Howa is much nicer than I anticipated.
                At least I can hunt with it and not just make holes in paper.

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

The UPS and Amazon men just showed up today.
                  Here is my Howa Grendel build.
                  I know...what the holy hell is that?

The scope and open sights both have the same point of aim.
                  IMG_20171114_132723 (Medium).jpgIMG_20171114_122201 (Medium).jpg

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

While installing scope bases and mounts and BUIS I had the empty magazine in the rifle.

It dropped out about 7 times while I was fiddling. I've got to cut that release lever.

At $50 a mag, I'll bet Howa makes more money from replacing lost mags than selling rifles.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

That mag release,plastic magazine,and price of said magazine is about the only things I don't like about the Howa Mini Action. It is very accurate. Looked on the map at Allardt,TN. It is about 2 hr 15 min from me. In January, they will have a 1000 yd range about 1hr15 min from you. You will be able to shoot from 100-1000yds. My range right now is only out to 300 and 500 on match days. Can't wait for the range to open. Otherwise I have to travel 1 1/2 hr to shoot 1000 at one place and 2 hrs to shoot 1000 at another range. We can hunt with about anything in TN. Near where your land is there is a WMA that has deer,bear,hogs, and some good hunting. Catoosa WMA is the name of it. On the Howa I get how the front sight goes on but is the rear sight drilled or what?

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

I am thinking a piece of duct tape will take care of the magazine falling out while hunting. For redundancy.
                        I am trying to fit a Magpul Pmag in the magazine recess.
                        I will post when I show some progress.
                        These are the sights.

It would be fun to shoot at 1000 yards but it isn't on my bucket list.
                        Can anyone shoot at the ranges you mention, for a fee?
                        Thanks for the nearby hunting information.

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

Count of the Howa Youth model Grendel on Whittakers is now zero.

I guess the members here cleaned them out.

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

I forgot to mention I weighed my Howa Grendel.
                            With scope, mounts, BUIS, sling and magazine without rounds it was 7 lbs 12oz.

I plan to shoot it tomorrow with the barrel break in procedure indicated by Howa.

Comment

• Earl Keese
                              Bloodstained
                              • Apr 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                              You should use the AR Grendel for deer. I would not have bought the Howa but Pennsylvania still will not allow semiautos for deer hunting.

My wife recently bought the farm inTennessee. I better explain this.
                              She actually bought a farm in Tennessee or should I say raw land.
                              I guess we will be moving and I can step out the back door and fire off a few rounds whenever the urge strikes.
                              I wish we had a place to stay. I have a tent.
                              East Tennessee? Beautiful place, lots of coyote.

Comment

• bj139
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2017

I did the barrel break-in procedure recommended by Howa for my new Youth model Grendel.
                                I used Wolf steel jacket ammo and shot at 50 yards with a 4x scope. I had to bore sight to get on target.
                                I cleaned the barrel and shot one round followed by cleaning and repeated one then clean for ten rounds.
                                Then I shot two rounds and cleaned, repeat for 5 two round strings for a total of 20 rounds for break-in.
                                Last, I shot six Wolf steel I had remaining from a box at the bottom middle of the target for 2.0 MOA.
                                Generally better results for Wolf steel ammo than any of my AR barrels.
                                IMG_20171115_134340 (Medium).jpgIMG_20171115_141618 (Medium).jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X