Howa Mini Action 6.5 Grendel Youth (HMY30603+)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dinny
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

Holy sheet! One might think those sight contraptions would change the barrel harmonics. Have you thought about adding a bayonet for those close and comfy deer encounters? Gotta be ready for DH CQB.

If I were hunting to feed my starving family I might consider a redundant sighting system or a different gun entirely. Sport hunting is really not the serious.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

Come on, Dinny.
      Read the rest of the thread before posting.
      I explained several times just a few posts back why I wanted them.

I have thought about a bayonet the time I ran out of arrows and watched a deer that couldn't run, lay down bleeding to death.
      I was not about to go hand to hoof with the deer.
      My buddy took the last shot in the lungs.

Sport hunting is extremely serious to the deer.

Comment

• Dinny
        Warrior
        • Jun 2016

I'm all about using the right tool for the job. See thru scope rings remind me of enduro motorcycles. Neither of them do both jobs very well. You either have limited target visibility (small window under the scope) or you break cheek weld to use the scope. Most stock heights are not conducive to shooting low iron sights and extra high scopes. If I'm concerned about needing both iron sights and a scope then I will mount my scope in quick release rings like Leupold's QRW rings or, even better, a Larue mount.

Having iron sights added to a rifle barrel is relatively inexpensive and they can be attached in a manner that would prevent rebluing the barrel or drilling into a thin barrel contour. For your purpose, I would think sights spaced 18" apart would give a long enough sight radius. If focusing is an issue, you could install a rear sight then attach the front sight with double-sided tape and move it towards the muzzle until both sights are in focus. Another option would be to install a longer length scope rail and install the scope in quick-detach rings in front of the rear sight.

Years ago I epoxied a front sight onto a H&R 45-70. Two scopes, four months of developing and shooting numerous different loads, and 4 hogs later the sight was still there. Prep the steel well, use good epoxy, and you should have similar results. Take-off rifle sights are plentiful and cheap online. Many different brands would work well.

You had to know someone would comment. Why else would you say, "I know...what the holy hell is that?"

Thanks, Dinny
        Last edited by Dinny; 11-16-2017, 12:49 AM.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Dinny View Post

You had to know someone would comment. Why else would you say, "I know...what the holy hell is that?"

Thanks, Dinny
          That was one of the first comments I received when I first joined 65Grendel.

I have pretty thick skin and am not offended.

You comment that you don't want to break cheek weld but then say you mount a scope on QD rings.
          I imagine you have to break cheek weld to use one sight or the other and you have to say, "Wait deer. I have to remove my scope."

It is funny you mention on/off road motorcycles. I have ridden one for years.
          I could ride to the trails then ride on the trails. Others were fooling with trailers and such while I was riding.
          That is exactly the point in having a general purpose device. It just does many things well enough.

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

One thing I forgot to mention.
            I bought Weaver medium rings and the 45 degree rear sight would not fit between the scope and the base.
            The bolt handle also just barely cleared the scope. I was knocking off the scope cap when cycling the action.
            I bought the high rings from WalMart on my way home from the range and reinstalled everything.
            Bolt handle clearance is now much better but I do have to break my cheek weld more than before.
            I suppose a chassis with adjustable everything is the best solution.
            Actually an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel is the best solution but Pennsylvania will not allow me to hunt deer with one.
            You gotta love it. At least my Howa is not in jail.

Comment

• Dinny
              Warrior
              • Jun 2016

QD rings come in all standard heights. I mount mine low enough to clear the front scope bell and bolt handle. Sight systems mounted the closest to the center of a rifle's bore tend to be the most accurate. Currently I only have one such set-up and that's on my 445 SuperMag levergun. I can use it over open fields with the scope and take it inside the woods with the scope removed for fast, short range shots.

I laughed silently when I read the Howa was in jail.

Thanks, Dinny
              Last edited by Dinny; 11-16-2017, 01:30 AM.

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

Dinny,
                Did you ever have a fast short range shot with your scope mounted?

Did you ever see the side mounted scopes for the Win94 to deal with the top ejection?

Somewhat the same principle as I am trying. Can't hurt.

If I can use the scope, I'll use the scope. If I can't, well I guess you know where I'm going.

Comment

• Dinny
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2016

I have had fast, short range shot opportunities in the past. Most of those shots I passed on and the others were made in poor judgement (young and dumb days). I personally don't like the side mounted scope mounts. I had one strip threads from a receiver, never tried any others after that. Have you considered mounting a small dot sight on the side of your scope? I really think your front sight looks like a brush magnet. I like my hunting rifle barrels to be snag free.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

My scope and bolt handle always catch on brush. I guess I have one more thing to worry about with the front sight.
                    I don't want to rely on a battery for backup with the red dot sight. It is a backup, after all.
                    The red dot would only be an additional brush magnet.

Comment

• rickt300
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

I have had exactly one scope break on me when I needed it. I had a spare scope in camp ready to be mounted and the Weaver tip offs would always bring POI back to within an inch of where it was sighted in.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

Another thought occurred to me with dual sights.
                        Looking at a target through both sights should be the same target.
                        Scopes sometimes go off and point in a different direction than intended and you only find out when you miss.
                        Obviously, this is no help at 1000 yards but is useful at 50 yards.
                        Even the best scopes have manufacturing defects that can cause this.

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

I went to the range today with the Howa 6.5 Grendel.I didn't expect it to shoot so well.
                          1. I shot 1 Wolf steel and missed the target so I boresighted.
                          2. Another Wolf steel - result low and right #1.
                          3. Adjusted scope and shot another Wolf - near center.
                          4. Shot 1 reverse seated Wolf and low impact.
                          5. Adjusted scope up and shot another reverse seated Wolf - impact very high on target edge.
                          6. Adjusted scope back to where it was and shot another Wolf steel - impact at center.
                          7. Shot a factory 123gr AMAX - center impact.
                          8. Shot a factory 123gr SST - center impact.

This convoluted group of 2 Wolf, 1 AMAX and 1 SST has a spread of 0.420" for a 0.840 MOA (Not exact but close).

Lucky, I guess.

Now I am pissed I did not break in any of my AR barrels, just shot em'. Maybe it does make a difference.

IMG_20171116_145352 (Medium).jpg

Comment

• Dinny
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2016

That's not a bad group with iron sights.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
                              That's not a bad group with iron sights.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• bj139
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by rickt300 View Post
                                I have had exactly one scope break on me when I needed it. I had a spare scope in camp ready to be mounted and the Weaver tip offs would always bring POI back to within an inch of where it was sighted in.
                                Is that tip off mounts or clamp on mounts?
                                I guess you zeroed each scope independently.

Comment

Working...
                                X