• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

LAPUA NATURALIS 6.5mm 140 gr LEAD FREE COPPER

So I was just thinking...

If it was possible to cut the above bullet down to say 120 gr or 130 gr, would there be anything negative come of the bullet?

I have a lot of these and they work very nice in my 6.5 Creedmoor (the photo are fired bullets from it)

We all know 140 gr bullets are at the very maximum weight for the 6.5 Grendel and this bullet may not expand at the required velocities anything over 100 yds.

I am not a ballistician or engineer and don’t want to become a test dummy!

They are a flat based bullet and would be easy to cut down, but wonder would they still mushroom or would the integrity of the bullet have been changed?20170630_165618-1238x696.jpg
    Last edited by lrgrendel; 11-16-2017, 02:47 PM.
  • Lone Hunter
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

I think I would just sell them and go 123 gr and down. That is too much work for the gain and I don't think the results would be worth the effort. You say they work good out of the creed, shoot them in the creed and get some bullets for the Grendel. JMO

Comment

• Randy99CL
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

Yeah, I would just sell them and buy others. It would be tough to cut them down, would you use a band saw or hand saw or what?

If you didn't get them all exactly the same weight they wouldn't shoot to the same spot. And if they weren't cut exactly straight they'd be out of balance.
      "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Lot of work to cut down an expensive bullet. Several other MFGs out there making lead free pills for the 6.5. Couple threads on the subject.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Too easy to load 129gr ABLR with 1300fps expansion.

Even in a 7.5" barrel, you have twice the expansion range you would ever need.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• explorecaves
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

But how else are you going to go through a deer after going through 12 walls and 4 doors?

Comment

Working...
            X