• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill the loader
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2017

Package rifles

I load ammo for friends, family, sometimes friends of family , and others if I think they aren't totally moronic. How I got the name. Anyway, speaking of total morons. Three days before Alabama's gun deer season neighbor brings big box store savage package rifle in .243 , saying we've shot 2 boxes of ammo, can't get it to shoot. Guy at store said it was bore slighted. Won't hit squat. Almost told him to go away but neighbors help each other. Started checking out the rifle, most savages even cheap ones shot good, so, my 1st thought was scope. After short exam, both bottom action screws were over 1 and half turns loose. Rear scope base was loose. Sheeese, doesn't anyone check anything. After I tighten everything I sighted in at 25, moved to100, 95 grain. Berger classic hunters. Easy under 1 inch, even with crappy trigger. Then I told him ammo is 2 buck's each he goes nuts. I just handed neighbor the rifle and said good hunting.
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

I guess with that price you never really liked him?

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Plumber charges $75 bucks to fix a line. $2 for parts and $73 for knowing which parts/how to do it...
      Loose screws for action/ scope you can fix.... others (behind the trigger), well..........................
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
        Plumber charges $75 bucks to fix a line. $2 for parts and $73 for knowing which parts/how to do it...
        Loose screws for action/ scope you can fix.... others (behind the trigger), well..........................
        ^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Been there, done that.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Bill the loader
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2017

Don't know how old you are Grey Fox, or if you are even remotely knowledgeable or SEC football. But Auburn had a football coach in 50s or 60s. That had radio show after auburn games on Sunday afternoons. The coach was Shug Jordan. Of the Jordan Hare stadium fame. The radio show host 1st name was Carl. When Carl would retell of some great play auburn had made against most resent opponent, ol, Shug would say " You are so right Carl". So I say to you. you are so right Carl. I'm BAMA, fan. But can't let good old saying not be used.

Comment

• Bill the loader
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2017

If I'm mistaken on you intent Klem, I'll make an apology now. If it's the price of the ammo. It's loads for granddaughters savage lady Hunter. 95 grain Berger classic Hunter. Bullet is 50 cents plus, lapua brass, something around a buck, H 4350 powder. Rare commodity. Time developing load. As I said. If I'm on the wrong track. I'm very sorry.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

Bill, old enough so that I'll never see 60 again except in the rearview mirror!!! Grew up on Indiana basketball but I sure enjoy SEC football now... actually any good college teams. Old friend of mine was an Auburn grad, retired AF now... they sure beat up on GA last weekend.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Bill the loader
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2017

That they did, my best friend and hunting buddy of 35 years is auburn fan. But we have no bad feelings no matter who wins . But Roll Tide. LOL.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Bill the loader View Post
                  If I'm mistaken on you intent Klem, I'll make an apology now. If it's the price of the ammo. It's loads for granddaughters savage lady Hunter. 95 grain Berger classic Hunter. Bullet is 50 cents plus, lapua brass, something around a buck, H 4350 powder. Rare commodity. Time developing load. As I said. If I'm on the wrong track. I'm very sorry.
                  'Time developing load' is what I am talking about. Time is money, but only in business (I don't charge mates for time). Don't get me wrong, if you reload as a strictly business arrangement then knock yourself out.

"Go the tigers!"

Comment

• Bill the loader
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2017

Not a business Klem, but I'm not giving away expensive ammunition to a friend of my neighbors. If you do I my have to visit you some time.

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Well, you'll need to hop on a plane. I live in Australia and perhaps that's the issue here; we have a different definition of friendship.

Anyway, someone who starts a thread doesn't always get to direct and choreograph where it goes. That's the nature of a conversation. I look forward to chatting about technical aspects of the Grendel.
                      Last edited by Klem; 11-17-2017, 03:54 AM.

Comment

• just_john
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2012

Perhaps it was Bill's way of saying, "Look, stupid! Didn't do anything here that you shouldn't have already done! Next time, ..... ".

Comment

• Keef
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2017

In my car repairing experience, people respond much better to being charged, if they know about it before hand.....that said they are some cheap Bas tads if they don't at least bring ya some nice booze.

Comment

• Earl Keese
                            Bloodstained
                            • Apr 2017

I have a customer/buddy that missed a couple deer last year with his .280, so he asked me to take a look. Like the post above, action screws and scope mounts/rings weren't properly tightened. After fixing this one, he's brought several more to me, always with a couple boxes of ammo for sighting in. Last week I did one for a friend of his. They're always amazed at the targets I return with their guns.
                            I do it because I enjoy working on guns and shooting. If I started charging for my time it would ruin a good hobby(like my last one). I reload some for my Dad, but that's it. People rarely place the same value on my time that I do so I try to avoid the subject of price. The average Hunter has no idea what good handloads cost.

Comment

Working...
                            X