• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
    How much is shipping for the Boyds stock?
    Depending on where you live. I think I paid around $30 for two of them UPS ground to Colorado.

***I received a second call yesterday from another person there inquiring about my email that I sent. A day late, but they were definitely wanting to know what was going on, and if everything had been taken care of once I told them I was contacted the day before. Must have just been a minor hiccup and I was the recipient.
    Last edited by Sticks; 11-18-2017, 10:24 AM.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Dinny
      Warrior
      • Jun 2016

I ordered my AT-One shortly after they were made public. They didn't even have some of the accessories for the stock yet. I believe the popularity of the AT-One is more than they expected. Nonetheless, I am very satisfied with the stock.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Lone Hunter
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
        How much is shipping for the Boyds stock?
        I think I paid $12 for the shipping.

Comment

• Sticks
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2016

Well...

One stock needed inletting on the barrel channel - left side.

Both need inletting for the bolt handle (.010).

One for sure needs either the action base, or the bottom metal (plastic) shaved down .010". Bolt override and when it does catch, the nose either misses the feed ramp (low), or gets shot up at such an angle that you have to pull back on the bolt then try again. The other I will probably do anyways since I am going to bed the receivers and even a skim coat will push it past that point. It was already a touch and go deal with the bolt picking up the last round instead of an override.
          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

Sticks, That sounds exactly like what I had to do to mine. Left side of barrel channel, bolt handle in front needed sanding, the plastic (ugh) bottom metal area I had to dremel . It would not pick up rounds sometimes only if you pushed up on magazine. Mind you, this was only very minor sanding or dremel work. After I dremeled the bottom metal area the magazine fit tight where it was loose.. I will be doing the magazine mods soon also to make it fit flush. Overall I am very satisfied with the stock. I would rather have to take out material than have to add material. I will pillar bed and bed the action after deer season. It is shooting pretty good right now but I think bedding and pillars will help with rigidity .

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

Receiver bedding absolutely will help, plus having the barrel freefloated. Pillar with the plastic bottom plate - I don't know what one would gain.

Someone here modified their bottom plate with a metal bushing, so I suppose that would help transfer the load better than the plastic. I am looking at inserts that may do the same.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                Warrior
                • Jul 2013

This question was asked recently
                Folks, Simple question, MDT chassis in FDE, or Boyd target type stock? $400 or $189? And why would you choose one over the other. A2

How are Boyd’s still in business if their customer service is non existent? And their stock MIGHT fit when you eventually receive it?

It’s just not good enough.....

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Wood is a tricky b**** to work with from a machining standpoint. It would seem to me that their jig is a little off for the AT-one series since most everyone here has to open up the barrel channel (on the left?) and bolt for a proper fitment.

Irgrendel - not sure if that was a rhetorical question or not.

Their stocks fit, and if I was Joe dirt clod shooter, or hunter, I would probably be happy with how it went together. I however am trying to be a precision shooter, and the better the rifle can operate for it's best potential, the better my chances are of consistently shooting to the peak of my abilities - Ergo, barrel has to be free floated, and the action has to be bedded.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                    Wood is a tricky b**** to work with from a machining standpoint. It would seem to me that their jig is a little off for the AT-one series since most everyone here has to open up the barrel channel (on the left?) and bolt for a proper fitment.

Irgrendel - not sure if that was a rhetorical question or not.

Their stocks fit, and if I was Joe dirt clod shooter, or hunter, I would probably be happy with how it went together. I however am trying to be a precision shooter, and the better the rifle can operate for it's best potential, the better my chances are of consistently shooting to the peak of my abilities - Ergo, barrel has to be free floated, and the action has to be bedded.
                    Maybe just a little sarcasm!

I am with you regarding trying to be the most accurate shooter.
                    I would not have the knowledge or patience to have to adjust a stock to fit to my action.

Can you imagine my comments if my MBT LSS $400 chassis did not fit!!!

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

The HCR chassis that got definitely needs bedded. Lots of slop in that one, and the action has to be almost centered, or I am going to have mag issues. Too far forward, or rearward, and the mag won't lock in.

Between that and the two Boyds, I have a lot of work to do before xmas.
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• PGW Steve
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2017

I've got quite a few Boyd's stocks on rimfires and now a couple 527's. On one of the Pro Varmint 527's, the screws are torqued and the bottom metal is bottomed into the receiver and no wood is being compressed. I can moved the barreled action around and obviously there is zero potential for accuracy. It's getting pillar bedded this weekend as I start working through all my collection. I put a Heritage stock on my 6.5, but it doesn't have this wiggle issue, bedding to follow.

I've had deplorable service in the past with them, but the last pair I ordered made it to Canada very fast. I don't know if things have improved or I got lucky. Of note though, when I filled out the online order, there was something weird about what I selected and what was confirmed. I was contacted by a CSR and they made sure I got what I wanted, and not what the system thought it wanted to make. Basically I wanted a Pro Varmint, which is an ambi stock. I selected a LH action and it tried to force me into a RH action/RH stock.

Comment

• AWS
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2017

I bought on e for a HB Grendel and the fit was pretty good, I did have to deepen the front of the bottom metal reasess, pointed bullets would beed fine but large HP's would catch the bottom of the feed ramp, it took very little to make it work fine, accuracy is great.

Comment

• Cornbread
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2015

Nice looking stock. Debating on one of those for a savage 12 in 6.5 creedmoor.

Comment

• ricsmall
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

I’ve had really good luck with Boyd’s. Double check your order form with the new format and you should be fine. All companies,big and small make mistakes. It’s what they do to correct the mistakes that makes a difference. And learning to minimize said screw ups!!
                              Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

Working...
                              X