• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brett
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2017

Sierra Load Data

I was just lurking around the Sierra sight and noticed they have just released Grendel load data. Here is a link to the page
    https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/1...del-load-data/ Check out the Power Pro Varmint, I am not familiar with that powder, but they are showing some of their top velocities with it.
    Anyone here tried it in the Grendel yet?
    Last edited by Brett; 11-17-2017, 02:36 AM.
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Great post!

Wonder why there is no AA2520 or CFE data?
    Last edited by lrgrendel; 11-17-2017, 02:51 AM.

Comment

• Brett
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2017

AR Comp data would be nice too.

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

When are these guys going to figure out that the majority of shooters have barrels that are significantly shorter than 24"?

Especially when dealing with a cartridge that was designed around a semiautomatic rifle?
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• explorecaves
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

CLICK HERE for Sierra Bullets 6.5 Grendel LOAD DATA PDF » Sierra Bullets has just released load data for the

NOTE: Hornady-brand brass (see below) was used for Sierra’s 6.5 Grendel tests, not the stronger Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass. Hand-loaders using Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass may need to adjust their loads. Also Winchester WSR primers were used. We imagine most precision hand-loaders will prefer CCI or Federal primers.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Good to see Power Pro Varmint working well across the board — that's a new one. But, yeah, I also question why they ignored the most common and obvious powders: CFE, LVR, AA2520, ARComp.
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• lrgrendel
              Warrior
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
              http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ierra-bullets/

NOTE: Hornady-brand brass (see below) was used for Sierra’s 6.5 Grendel tests, not the stronger Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass. Hand-loaders using Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass may need to adjust their loads. Also Winchester WSR primers were used. We imagine most precision hand-loaders will prefer CCI or Federal primers.
              Good point.
              Any “newer” reloading guys need to be care ful and not mixing up Magnum and non Magnum primers especially with Hornady brass...

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Their 8208 XBR/107 SMK data is way lower than Hodgdon's, and is what has been used for 123gr SMK at 28.5gr.

Odd

24" barrel testing is pretty standard for most rifle load data, unless the particular rifle is normally found in shorter barrels.
                Last edited by LRRPF52; 11-18-2017, 02:41 AM.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• derek45
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jun 2017

COOL

I asked Sierra a few months ago, and they said they were working on it, and a new Edition.

I love the way they give us a PDF, to print and put right into there 3-ring binder book.

I wish other Load data books would use the 3 ring format.

My old Sierra book has lots of extra pages and notes added.

(They used to snail mail me updated pages with new calibers, printing this now )
                  NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

• muvef
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    Their 8208 XBR/107 SMK data is way lower than Hodgdon's, and is what has been used for 123gr SMK at 28.5gr.

Odd

24" barrel testing is pretty standard for most rifle load data, unless the particular rifle is normally found in shorter barrels.

This is what jumped out at me as well. W/ that being said, I get significant pressure signs at 27.4 grns of 8208 loaded to 2.252".

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by muvef View Post
                      This is what jumped out at me as well. W/ that being said, I get significant pressure signs at 27.4 grns of 8208 loaded to 2.252".
                      With what bullet and chamber?
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• muvef
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        With what bullet and chamber?
                        The Sierra 123 and the Hornady Amax 123.

The barrel is a JSE Surplus. It's advertised as a SAMMI spec chamber that uses a .125 bolt.

It wasn't what I ordered from JSE but it's what they sent.

I did check head space and it passed.

I've been playing with COAL. It seems I'm getting fewer signs of pressure at 2.242" to 2.244". I need more range time to verify this.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2011

Just amazed to see they did not list the 3-4 top Grendel powders. Not the first time, I called one of the mfgs (Accurate) to ask why they did not last 2520 for Grendel. All they would say is they did not recommend the powder. That was pre CFE. And 8208 was less known in Grendel circles.

I wonder if the big reloading book manufacturers start with what the powder manufacturers recommend unless it's one of the very well-known Legacy / classic reloading formulas.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

I took the tour at the Sierra factory and after talking to their representative Sierra is very concerned with manufacturing capacity, demand and market share. Sierra partners with many other companies in marketing their products and share intellectual property if it is to Sierra’s benefit. Sierra is in a unique situation where they do not market ammunition.

I suspect Sierra Ballisticians chose to use Powders not tested by other sources so there might not be contradictory data and also to benefit their industry partners. It is also possible Sierra tested the powder currently available in their lab. I was surprised Sierra did not test AR Comp, Leverevolution or BLC2. Some of the powders tested I had not considered using so I’m glad to see Sierra paying attention to the 6.5 Grendel. When I took the tour a couple years ago the 6.5 Grendel was not being considered for testing or for and specific 6.5 Grendel products.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2011

That sort of makes sense... I guess.

Here's the deal: I used to think of Sierra as the Gold Standard of load data... but over decades have seen that erode from the 1st place I'd go to lately, usually don't bother.

It's not that the others are perfect, they aren't. But they seem to pick up on new cartridges and powders faster.

To a certain extent that is also true of bullets. The ones I want to buy from them they stop making. They ones I used to buy from them typically are far more expensive and now out performed by competitors. (Usually Hornady lately).

Just seems like they are missing the market. or at least my slice of it. :-) I wish them no ill will... just an observation.

I'll say that I'm glad they published info on Grendel, but it's just plain odd that some of the well known loadings/powders are not there.

Comment

Working...
                              X