• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FloridaGuy
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2017

In the market for my first Grendel.

sigpicUSCCA Certified Firearms Instructor.
  • Sputnik
    Warrior
    • May 2013

I would consider Bear Creek Arsenal 24 inch SS fluted barrel for ~350.00. I am very pleased with mine. They may be out of stock, I think I got mine at Primary Arms. Both places offer LEO/Military discount.

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

You might want to think about upping your budget a little.

You looking for precision target shooting, or just hobby?
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• FloridaGuy
        Unwashed
        • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
        You might want to think about upping your budget a little.

You looking for precision target shooting, or just hobby?
        It’s mostly for hobby I don’t compete or anything with any of my guns. Most of the time I will be shooting at most 100 yards. Here in Florida there are no long range shooting facilities. Budget can be adjusted if need be.

Comment

• Sticks
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2016

IMO for what you are doing, 18" to 20" would be more than enough for your use, and opens up a wider market for quality barrels. 24" for punching paper recreationally is overkill.

What ever you choose, make sure to get a SAAMI Grendel barrel, not Type I or II (Type II is typically the correct one needing the .136 recessed bolt - prefer something that states SAAMI)
          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Bigs28
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2016

If you live in Clearwater their is a range not to far from you in manatee county that goes out to 1k.

Comment

• Sputnik
              Warrior
              • May 2013

Originally posted by Sputnik View Post
              I would consider Bear Creek Arsenal 24 inch SS fluted barrel for ~350.00. I am very pleased with mine. They may be out of stock, I think I got mine at Primary Arms. Both places offer LEO/Military discount.
              I looked at Primary Arms and they only list Radical Arms uppers, still within your price range. Concur with Sticks as to barrel length. A barrel of 24 inches is not needed to reach out to 1k.

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

I looked at Primary Arms and they only list Radical Arms uppers, still within your price range. Concur with Sticks as to barrel length. A barrel of 24 inches is not needed to reach out to 1k.
                For 1k, no, not needed. The extra est. 100FPS you would get over an 18" would be nice though.

If you were set on the 24", up your budget and go to the parent MFG - Alexander Arms - http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Upp..._Receiver.html or
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• FloridaGuy
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
                  If you live in Clearwater their is a range not to far from you in manatee county that goes out to 1k.
                  The longest range they have now is 600 yards. The land behind the 1k Range is now protected land by the state. So because of the lead going into the protected land they had to close it down.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

I'm another that wouldn't get a 24" barrel. My research showed that a 20" only gives up around 90fps velocity to a 24".

I bought a Bear Creek upper with 20" heavy barrel and mounted it on a standard lower. The barrel is 1" diameter until the gas block and .750" for the 7" after. Without a scope, mount or magazine the gun weighs 7lbs 12oz and balances about an inch in front of the receiver.
                    I like the weight and balance, it is muzzle-heavy as a target gun but not impossible to carry for a couple of hours.
                    I plan to use it for hunting hogs in Texas, varmint hunting and casual longer-range target shooting.
                    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• crusader18
                      Unwashed
                      • Jul 2015

I bought on of the RA Complete Uppers(20in.) from PA, I thought I'd start cheap to try it out. The upper was nothing but problems FTFs, FTEs, FTFs...tried it with different mags, different ammo. After 20 rds. I wound up sending it back to PA, because nothing would make it work(YMMV). On the bright side, they took it back and gave me an instant refund. I wound up buying a NeptuneEL 20in. Upper from Mark over at Precision Firearms and it was definitely worth the money and wait. I would recommend PF highly to someone looking for an upper.

Comment

• Sputnik
                        Warrior
                        • May 2013

Originally posted by crusader18 View Post
                        I bought on of the RA Complete Uppers(20in.) from PA, I thought I'd start cheap to try it out. The upper was nothing but problems FTFs, FTEs, FTFs...tried it with different mags, different ammo. After 20 rds. I wound up sending it back to PA, because nothing would make it work(YMMV). On the bright side, they took it back and gave me an instant refund. I wound up buying a NeptuneEL 20in. Upper from Mark over at Precision Firearms and it was definitely worth the money and wait. I would recommend PF highly to someone looking for an upper.
                        I can't dispute that. My PF Neptune V is a treasure, but the OP mentioned ~600.00 for an upper, not ~1700.00

Comment

• Sticks
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2016

I can't dispute that. My PF Neptune V is a treasure, but the OP mentioned ~600.00 for an upper, not ~1700.00
                          Mine is the Neptune VIII. I am impressed...however -

The OP would probably want it before June 2018 as well.
                          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• worthen86ford
                            Warrior
                            • May 2016

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2017

Bear Creek has some pretty good deals on barrels. Mine is a stainless steel, fluted 18" with 5R rifling. It has performed very well. I am quite pleased with it and I picked it up on sale for like $80 shipped. Besides the bolt and mags, everything else is standard AR15. BCA uses the same thread pitch on their Grendel barrels as their .308/300blk barrels. You should be able to easily build a $600 Grendel not counting optics.
                              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

Working...
                              X