X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

I’m glad this thread is still getting some traction. This is a somewhat worthy endeavor as it could mean rather simple .70cent accurate plinking ammunition. Sticks, have you had a chance to stretch these out at all?
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

I paid $.23 for the Wolf ammo, and .27 for the 123 ELDs. $.60 for sub MOA AR ammo, and .3 out of my Howa - I'm happy. I'll be using that up between practice and the SRM that I go to.

By stretching out, I have taken it out to 725 on paper for calibrating my Kestral if that is what you mean. I don't see a difference here between the Factory Black, Reloaded brass, and Moscow Match. If done right, you get quality ammo for long range consistency and the price is right.

7 and 8 SDs on two different powder charges and same velocity as Factory Black.

I run into a smoking deal on bullets then I may go through this again - insofar as pulling and recycling the components with a high BC bullet, especially if using a mandrel or expander can get a better neck tension, though I am not complaining with getting a 5 shot SD of 7 in a gas gun. If someone can get the Nosler 130s to run, I may try those too. Still hoping someone will come out with a bullet in the 115s and a G7in the .3s that BFT was pushing for, though the jump to the lands seems to be the killer here.

Those 107 SMKs look good for pull, size and push, velocity seems a little low. Hence my wanting to know what the factory Wolf speed is in bidsl's rifle.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Melglass
        Bloodstained
        • May 2016

Anyone try 90gr TNT?

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Melglass View Post
          Anyone try 90gr TNT?
          No, but I did some 95 Vmax. See attached. The accuracy didn't see to be there at the stock load of powder (it averaged around 27.88 in my lot). The groups got better as I increased the load. So in my case with this Black Hole Weaponry barrel, it wasn't a simple pull-push operation.

95VmaxMM_BHW.jpg

Edit: I should add those are five shot groups.
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Melglass
            Bloodstained
            • May 2016

Good info. Thanks

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
              I paid $.23 for the Wolf ammo, and .27 for the 123 ELDs. $.60 for sub MOA AR ammo, and .3 out of my Howa - I'm happy. I'll be using that up between practice and the SRM that I go to.
              Now, with the American Gunner ammo at $0.70 per round including a plastic ammo can and empty brass to reload, this is not worth it.

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Melglass View Post
                Anyone try 90gr TNT?
                I have now. NOTE: this is with a new lot of Wolf steel case. The powder has changed as the average case now has about 30.4 grains of powder instead of 27.8. As with all loads it's up to you to start low and work your way up to find out what's safe in your weapon. With that said...

Speer_MM_.jpg

Speer 90 grain TNT
                32.3 grains of stock powder @2.212" OAL
                2779 fps from a 22" BHW barrel at 45 degrees
                shot off a bench, bipod and rear bag at 100 yards.

Edit: I haven't done a true pull/push with the TNT yet. The stock 100 grain bullet is traveling 2645 out of this barrel.
                Last edited by biodsl; 11-26-2018, 01:26 AM.
                Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                  I have now. NOTE: this is with a new lot of Wolf steel case. The power has changed as the average case now has about 30.4 grains of powder instead of 27.8. As with all loads it's up to you to start low and work your way up to find out what's safe in your weapon. With that said...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13181[/ATTACH]

Speer 90 grain TNT
                  32.3 grains of stock powder @2.212" OAL
                  2779 fps from a 22" BHW barrel at 45 degrees
                  shot off a bench, bipod and rear bag at 100 yards.

Edit: I haven't done a true pull/push with the TNT yet. The stock 100 grain bullet is traveling 2645 out of this barrel.
                  BD:

Amazing what a decent bullet and barrel can do.

Now you see why I needle guys who seem intent on destroying their brass thinking they are making it shoot better.

You did this with basic Eastern Bloc steel cases and loads.

LR55

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

Nothing at all wrong with the Comm Bloc ammo except the bullet. If they actually put a proper sized pill in that case, it might give Hornady a run for their money.
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• rickt300
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

I'm still doing this. When I pull the bullets I cull any case that is especially hard to get the bullet out of, pour the powder out, chamfer the case heavily, charge with whatever I want and seat a bullet. I have gotten some good shooting loads doing this.

Comment

• Sticks
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2016

I would probably kept up on this if I could find a carbide expander at .265 and .288 bushing for my sizing die. I really like the accuracy I got with mine stuffing a 123 ELD and matched charge weight. Sandy (Howa) really likes them.

I never did delve deeply into a simple pull/push with a 100 - 108. I was graciously given a selection of bullets to try, and I had a bad day at the range that probably skewed the results and never went back.
                        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• m796rider
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                          I never did delve deeply into a simple pull/push with a 100 - 108. I was graciously given a selection of bullets to try, and I had a bad day at the range that probably skewed the results and never went back.
                          I've been swapping the Wolf factory bullets for Hornady 100gr ELD-Match. I just pull the factory bullets using a Hornady collet bullet puller, then seat my ELDs to 2.23 (or thereabouts).

Updated rounds look like this:

And shoot like this (50yds, rapid fire from a bench; 1 round to adjust zero then a 7 round group):

I'm using a Faxon 12" barrel, really love this rifle:

Comment

• Sticks
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2016

Awesome. Glad someone has found this successful.

Excellent shooting BTW with a SBR and RDS.
                            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by m796rider View Post
                              I've been swapping the Wolf factory bullets for Hornady 100gr ELD-Match. I just pull the factory bullets using a Hornady collet bullet puller, then seat my ELDs to 2.23 (or thereabouts).

Updated rounds look like this:

And shoot like this (50yds, rapid fire from a bench; 1 round to adjust zero then a 7 round group):

I'm using a Faxon 12" barrel, really love this rifle:

What size is your target? It looks like 6"x6".

Comment

• m796rider
                                Warrior
                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                                What size is your target? It looks like 6"x6".
                                3x3 actually, each grid is 1/2 inch.

Comment

Working...
                                X