• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Just got mine in.

Time to do some ladders based on Texkitch's results.

97gr GS Customs HV, 95gr Pure Precision, 100gr TTSX, 110gr Controlled Chaos

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Following this to see how they do for you.
      GF
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• rickOshay
        Warrior
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Just got mine in.

Time to do some ladders based on Texkitch's results.

97gr GS Customs HV, 95gr Pure Precision, 100gr TTSX, 110gr Controlled Chaos[/IMG]
        LR - can’t wait to see your results. Excellent selection of four very different tools in the Grendel kit:

GSC HV - premium expanding Hunting LFP
        Pure Precision - target LFP designed for in-flight characteristics, not terminal performance
        TTSX - designed to expand at moderate velocity.
        Chaos - designed to fragment at lower velocity.
        Last edited by rickOshay; 11-30-2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

I loaded up some of these today but for some reason I was shaving off pieces of the bullet while seating it. I loaded some 120g GMX after and did not have any problems with them. Im positive it was something im doing wrong but not sure what since the GMX loaded fine. Im guessing this will affect the accuracy of my first set of these but oh well. Shooting is fun regardless.
          Attached Files

Comment

• xlcc
            Warrior
            • Feb 2016

That is a lot of shavings!By chance did you forget to chamfer inside the neck before loading?

Comment

• Bigs28
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2016

I chamfered/deburred. It seemed to snag right after the deep cut. The gmx had no problems.

Comment

• rickt300
                Warrior
                • Jan 2017

I found a very good deal on some of Lehigh's bullets though not in 6.5 but in .257. Mine appear similar to the first of these bullets tested in the LFP thread (95 gr.) in which there really seemed not much going on with them at impact speeds of 2700fps or less. Mine weigh 85 grains and appear to be made of brass. I loaded some of them up and got excellent accuracy from them in my 257 Roberts. My velocity is around 3100 fps and I am going to test them soon in water jugs. I could add another 200 fps but this test will be as loaded on jugs at 100 yards. If they perform well I will report back. I was hoping that this style of LFP would change my mind about Mono's but after seeing the results from the earlier test I'm not counting on it. I got these bullets from a 25/45 Sharps user, he couldn't get them to shoot and were not configured properly to fit in AR magazines. If they fragment like the 110 gr versions I will be a happy camper.
                Last edited by rickt300; 11-30-2017, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

rickt300, awesome news on these in .257!

Bigs, check the OD of all spots on the bullets--- maybe a CNC - oops, as far as programming.

Texkitch, man I hope you are an outdoor mobile kitchen--

-I re found some data from 2014, at home here on the monos- trials - With cfe on a 105 Gmx , always start about 31.0 cfe. , Hop upward by .2,,,, instead of .3 grns. Less is more with the LFPs. Always verify speeds thru a pals Chrono - if 1 is nearby.

Accuracy was always stellar with the Gmx pills. These newer LFp's need to tested more. I'm just happy to see that my work is being copied, etc. No more lead...

I ended up with a 95 Gmx - pushed out to 2.31 OAL --- As a fave back in 2010., Now,,, we'll see?

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

chamfering --> That was my first thought also but even so it seems like a lot of shavings - even for not chamfering... I'm stumped.
                    Some kind of burr or bulge on the bottoms of the bullets? I think they are cnc'ing them...
                    stumped. Waiting to hear from the pro's...
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Texkitch
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2017

I am also stumped. I didn’t notice any shaving on the 60 or so that I loaded. Also, I added a target picture to my first post so you can see the differences of the loads. CFE more promising for me with this bullet.

Comment

• rickt300
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

At least the brass versions are accurate. I did recover some fragments from a water jug test but the base easily cleared the fourth jug.

Comment

• Bigs28
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2016

I went and shot these today and I was happy with my results. I loaded with cfe starting at 29.8 and worked up to 32.5 stopping 0.5 short of lrr's max recommendation. My best group was actually my max load measuring 1.03 inches. I did not have any pressure signs so I will try 32.8 next time.

The weird to me thing was that when I went from the 110g controlled chaos to the 123g eld-m my poi went up about 4 inches at 100 yards with 3.5g less powder. I thought that was a big difference but I'm new to this.

Overall I'm happy with my limited results and can't wait to put one of these in a hog or deer.

Comment

• rickOshay
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2012

Here's another gel result at 1800 fps. Still showing extensive damage, but I still need to go slower to find out where the lower limit is.

Comment

• diddlyv
                              Warrior
                              • Aug 2016

Re the Poi going up with the 123 vs the 110. The heavier slower bullet is in the barrel longer so the rifle has a chance to move farther during recoil while the bullet is still in the barrel causing the barrel to be pointing on a higher line than the faster bullet. Same this is often noticed when shooting heavier bullets out of a pistol
                              Queen of Battle
                              Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• inthevalley
                                Unwashed
                                • Dec 2016

Pretty impressive at 1800fps, definitely interested to see how slow this bullet can go and still be useful for hunting

Comment

Working...
                                X