• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pinzgauer
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Size new Grendel Lapua brass?

Really dumb question: do I need to resize my shiny new Lapua and Alexander Arms Lapua brass before reloading??

Most bolt guns I've never had to worry, but knowing the semis are pickier, don't know how Laupa Grendel brass starts out dimension wise.

I finally retired enough of my original IMI / Lapua 7.62 x 39 brass that I'm going to crank up on my carefully hoarded Lapua grendel brass
  • Jakal
    Warrior
    • May 2014

It would be a wise move to full size your new brass for a semiauto. I have found dented case mouths right out of the box. Full length sizing will help uniform your brass and will help with feed problems.

Chamfer inside and outside the case mouth. Some use a primer pocket uniformer. I don't turn my brass necks and the Lapua does not really need to be trimmed for length
    ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• Mad Charlie
      Warrior
      • May 2017

What he said!

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

It's a fair question with Lapua. My experience is they come out of the box as near perfect as any manufacturer.

I check two things before going to the effort of sizing them all; headspace and neck tension.

Headspace is a check with the Hornady gauge or a rifle gauge like in the photo. I only check a couple of cases for headspace with each new box of Lapua and they have always been fine.

Neck tension is also important in an auto loader. You need at least .003" difference between an empty case and a loaded one. In the photo there is exactly .003" difference between an unfired Lapua and a loaded one. You can check-measure with a couple of new cases and then bullet-pull them to prime and powder.

In the photo there is nothing to be gained by sizing that box before firing and a simple visual check will determine whether the case mouth is dented. I don't ever remember seeing a dented new Lapua but I don't doubt what Jakal is saying...I've seen it in other brands like Remington. As for chamfering inside and out, up to you but I have never done so on new Grendel Lapua and am happy with the results I get on the target.

Comment

• pinzgauer
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

I was mostly worried about shoulder setback and such.

I've not seen many dented case mouths. I have a little nylon AR disassembly tool that I'll use to gently pry any out before seating.

The boattails take care of the rest

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
            I was mostly worried about shoulder setback and such.

I've not seen many dented case mouths. I have a little nylon AR disassembly tool that I'll use to gently pry any out before seating.

The boattails take care of the rest
            'Shoulder setback' is another way of saying headspace. If too little headspace the bolt won't close. You can hand feed a couple of new empty cases into the breech to check this. If too much headspace then you risk case separation and no amount of sizing is going to make the case longer. A Hornady comparator or rifle gauge will give an indication of this.

I'm with you on the necks, if it loads into the die then the boat tail of the bullet will do the rest. You should however be concerned about neck tension in an auto loader.
            Last edited by Klem; 11-19-2017, 02:33 AM.

Comment

• RiverRider
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

I prefer to iron out wrinkled case necks by running them over the expander button...whether that's really any better than just cramming a boat-tail bullet down the neck, I couldn't say but it sure couldn't be any worse. I'd point out that this does not necessitate F/L sizing, though. Other than dealing with dented case necks, there's no real reason to push a brand new case into a sizing die.

Comment

• Cornbread
                Warrior
                • Dec 2015

New brass will already be at minimum spec and should not need the shoulder bumped. If the necks are dinged you can back the die out and just push the expander ball in to straighten the necks. Lapua is usually gtg out of the box.

Comment

• TKO
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2017

I loaded mine right out of the box and got exceptional results.

Kind of a cross post but I got my new build to the range today and worked up a load with Nosler ACBLR. Details of load development here: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?15181-Lightweight-Hunter-Build&p=170267&viewfull=1#post170267 Ladder Testing: Five Shot Group

Comment

• jurassic
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Does anyone have any in stock right now?

Comment

• pinzgauer
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

Thanks all, confirmed my thinking.

Now that I've finished microengraving individual serial numbers on each piece of expensive brass and setup my tracking log, I'm ready to load some! I'll probably give each case a name before it's over with, as carefully as I've handled them!

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

As has been mentioned already, the cases are sized to minimum spec, and it is plain to me when attempting to full length size new brass. There is very little pressure or contact along the case walls or shoulders. i.e. waste of time, imo.

Lapua has been consistently better brass than literally all the other brands I've used. At the same time, I have encountered several instances of dented case mouths. My solution has been to simply run everything through a neck sizing die, ream / chamfer and be done with it. Otherwise, I will occasionally find copper shavings on the shell holder from bullets getting trimmed on insertion. Accuracy issue? I can't say. But it can't be good, either.

ETA: Naming is a bad idea. Like allowing the kids to name the livestock. Kids: "What's for dinner?" Parent: "Bessie!" Kids: "Noooooo..."
                        Last edited by NugginFutz; 11-19-2017, 03:18 PM.
                        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• pinzgauer
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2011

"I can't find Louie!!! Take the range cold, we can't leave Louie behind!!!!"

Comment

• jurassic
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

We never size ours, although for hunting ammo we started putting a slight crimp after we saw a bullets moving from loading and unloading several times.

Comment

Working...
                            X