• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thedudeabides
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2016

Deer double w/ 110gr TREX Maker bullets

Shot these 2 last weekend with the 110gr TREX Maker bullets loaded w/ 28.0gr 8208 XBR. These will group sub moa for me and the terminal performance did not disappoint. I have to say, given the chance, I wouldn't opt for the neck shot like I hit the doe with. It dropped her on the spot, but the bloodshot was excessive and I lost more shoulder meat on both sides than I would have liked. She was facing me steeply downhill and the shot entered just forward of shoulder, hit the heart and took out 2 ribs on exit. I didn't take pics of her, but the holes were similar to the buck with worse bloodshot. I got a nice broadside, boiler room shot on the buck. The other three broken ribs were from the second shot I took as he was basically taking his last step and falling down, but I wasn't sure because after the first shot he stammered forward 15 steps and just stood behind a tree for 30 seconds or so relieving himself of all his blood. Upon retrieval, there was what looked like a several gallons of blood on ground along the buck's path and where he stood. Internal organ damage was extreme on both deer. These will be my hunting rounds from now on, since they perform superb and will group consistently for me. Plus, they should open down past 1700fps, much lower then the Barnes TTSX. I tried the 105 CBB MKZ and just couldn't get them to group very well. I did manage a 3 out of 5 cloverleaf, but generally I would get 1.2-2" groups with them.

Anyway, for those interested in some pics of the entry and exit wounds from the 110gr TREX Maker bullets, here they are.

IMG_2431.PNGIMG_2423.jpgIMG_2425.jpgIMG_2427.jpgIMG_2424.jpg
    18" .264 LBC BHW fluted barrel
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Thanks for report and good shootin'!
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• usmcm16a2
      Warrior
      • Aug 2015

Congrats. Try the 118MKZ, I just shot a .56 3 shot with the. A2

Comment

• CavityBackBullets
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by thedudeabides View Post
        .I tried the 105 CBB MKZ and just couldn't get them to group very well. I did manage a 3 out of 5 cloverleaf, but generally I would get 1.2-2" groups with them.
        What powder and load were you trying with the 105 MKZ?
        Knowing that some barrels just do not like some bullets I have not gotten complaints in performance nor accuracy on that bullet.
        Thanks in advance.

Comment

• thedudeabides
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2016

I was using 8208 xbr, 28.5 - 29.1 : cci 450 and Rem 7.5 primers. I haven't given up and will continue to find a load that will group well with them. I have some VVn135 I might try next.

Comment

• thedudeabides
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2016

Comment

• 85redsled
              Unwashed
              • Apr 2017

Fillin the freezer with organic vittles. Nuthin better!

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Great to see more interest in the LFP's. Nice harvests!

Comment

• Fields_mj
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2019

I know this is an old thread, but I'm loading the 105 MKZ over N530 with good results. I think I'm loading 28.5gr but I would need to check my notes to confirm. Slightly over 1/4 MOA at 400 yds if I do my part, and hard on deer...

Comment

Working...
                  X