• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grendelhunter16
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

Pistol Build Thread

Well the build of my 18" rifle went so well, with the help of you forum members, and I enjoy the Grendel cartridge so much that I have decided I need a pistol and once again seek your advice. What barrel do you recommend between the 12" Faxon and the 12.5" Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel? My concern with the Faxon is finding a handguard to use. I used an M4E1 upper and handguard for my last build and was going to utilize that again, but the only handguard lengths they have are 9" and 12", if recommending the Faxon barrel please recommend an alternative handguard. What recommendations for flash hiders/flash can would you recommend. I looked at the KAC flash can, but it is kind of long and I was hoping to keep the overall length down. I appreciate any and all advice you can give.
  • jurassic
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

They are both nicely made barrels, although I have not built the Faxon into a pistol yet. I shot the BA and it functioned perfectly, but ended up selling it when the Faxon came in. The BA has a much lighter profile, I'm not a fan of pinned gas blocks however. Hornady SST factory ammo dropped from both (no short chambers,) and the gas ports are correct.

I put a Smith Vortex on the end of mine, but would probably hunt with a thread protector, I need to get a can.

I want a pistol to be as light as possible, so far my favorite hanguard is the BCM KMR Alpha. They're available in M LOK now.

Comment

• kpswihart
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

I'm in the last Faxon GB and am trying to make a decision on a handguard as well, and overall length is a concern too. I am leaning towards trying a Kaw Valley Precision Comp for a muzzle device. Still researching options.

Comment

• jonny rotton
        Warrior
        • Dec 2015

i have built several now using the fAXON 12". i have used the alg rails on all of them. i have even bought one of their blems. not sure how it was blemed.
        i hate to say what groups i have shot. in the past when i talk about them i do not get any comments which makes me think that people thought i was not being truthful.
        these barrels shoot very very well.

Comment

• grendelhunter16
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2017

Comment

• worthen86ford
            Warrior
            • May 2016

Comment

• grendelhunter16
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2017

Update: So I think im between the Gibbz 11.3” handguard and the slr 11”. For the muzzle device I like the look and length of the slr synergy hybrid linear comp but it’s fairly new and I haven’t been able to find much about it. Does anyone have an opinions or advice on these parts?

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

gh16, the Kaw Valley linear comp sure looks a lot like the slr but is half the weight, half the cost and only about a 1/2" longer and they do work well at projecting the concussion wave down range. Just something to think about.

Comment

• grendelhunter16
                  Unwashed
                  • Feb 2017

Now that I look at it again you’re right I’d only be saving about 1/8” with the slr but at double the cost.

Comment

Working...
                  X