So, what ammo box do you like for your Grendel reloads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RiverRider
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

So, what ammo box do you like for your Grendel reloads?

I like the MTM or Berry's 50-round plastic boxes for my rifle loads. I have a few made by Plano, too. I load around 20 different cartridges and have shopped for ammo boxes for some oddballs, but none as odd as the 6.5 Grendel. The best I was able to find before I ran out of patience was a Berry's unit meant for .223/.243 WSSM. With a 1/4" thick piece of foam in the roof of the box, it seems to work okay, but I do wonder if there's something better out there I never found.

What ya got?
  • Randy99CL
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

I'm on a really tight budget and want to try some of these at 5/$12: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/83...d-smoke-5-pack
    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• paulw
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2017

MTM 50 Round Flip-Top Rifle Ammo Box .22-250 to 7.62 X 39.... piece of thin foam in the lid.

Comment

• RockWarrior
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2015

I use the Cadwell ones and no complaints from me.

Comment

• Sticks
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2016

I reuse the Horandy and Wolf boxes. I've bought the MTN 20 and 50 counts and still find myself reusing the old factory boxes until the flaps tear off (Wolf). Takes up less space.
          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• PVBoom
            Warrior
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
            I reuse the Horandy and Wolf boxes. I've bought the MTN 20 and 50 counts and still find myself reusing the old factory boxes until the flaps tear off (Wolf). Takes up less space.
            That is a really good idea, I should remember it.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Standard MTM RS-50 for .223. Load them in upside down. The case shoulders rest on the internal frame so the bullet and tip are suspended and don't touch anything. As compact as you're going to get in MTM.

Comment

• RiverRider
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
                I'm on a really tight budget and want to try some of these at 5/$12: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/83...d-smoke-5-pack
                Perfect. Midway's out of them, but found them in a five-pack for $18 shipped on Amazon. I just don't need five, though----only have 100 pieces of Hornady brass and don't intend to use the Grendel for much more than nighttime hog slaughters. I hate to have empty ammo boxes laying around though, so I guess this gives me a perfect excuse to buy some Starline 6.5G brass when it becomes available. How is that not a win-win?

Comment

• lrgrendel
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2013

Does not anybody use the LAPUA boxes your brass comes in? It’s free!!

Comment

• RiverRider
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                    Standard MTM RS-50 for .223. Load them in upside down. The case shoulders rest on the internal frame so the bullet and tip are suspended and don't touch anything. As compact as you're going to get in MTM.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10203[/ATTACH]

I have 18 or 20 of those full of .222 and .223 ammo. The ones I have are Cabela's branded and I don't know who makes them but I suspect it is Berry's Mfg. They're not quite tall enough to use in this way so you can't snap the lid shut.

Comment

• rwh
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2014

I like these. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...-round-plastic

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by RiverRider View Post
                        I have 18 or 20 of those full of .222 and .223 ammo. The ones I have are Cabela's branded and I don't know who makes them but I suspect it is Berry's Mfg. They're not quite tall enough to use in this way so you can't snap the lid shut.
                        That's a pity, because like you I have heaps of 223 cases so I use the spares for Grendel.

MTM's original design has a plastic hinge which no doubt will eventually break if you open and close them 1,000 times. In this model you don't need any foam to close the lid on an upside-down Grendel. It's just a nice fit. Don't know if they still make this.

The newer MTM axle-hinge design is a bit more bulky and there's more height inside so I use a piece of foam.

Comment

• Drillboss
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2015

One more option. Haven't done any comparative evaluation, but these work for me.

Comment

• Sticks
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2016

You could always take a round into your LGS and test fit some boxes.

It would seem that the .223 cases are the better option for compact and lack of need for Foam.

Dillon, Caldwell, MTN, and a plethora of others.
                            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

I think I have one or more of everything mentioned in this thread so far.

If you want a specific fit, get the 6mm PPC slot cartridge containers.

For shooting distance all day, I like the 100rd boxes.

For load work-up, I usually use the little 50rd boxes.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X