• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • donbcivil
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2017

New member from Snohomish County in Washington state

I've been an avid shooter for quite a while now and have shot .223/556 ARs in competitions (service rifle/DCM), off and on.

I've been thinking of trying 6.5 for a while now. The thought of doing more LONG distance shooting is appealing, plus a 6.5 seems like a great hunting round. So I am thinking about getting an Alexander Arms upper with 20" barrel.

Finding the different chambers a little confusing. AA doesn't specify the exact chamber of their upper's barrel but I'm assuming I could use any commercially available "6.5 Grendel" cartridge?

Thank you, Don
  • paulw
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2017

Welcome to the forum neighbor! (I'm in Marysville)
    I don't think you can go wrong with AA, but there are more knowledgeable members here that will weigh in.

Comment

• danm
      Warrior
      • Aug 2014

Greetings from the SE corner! Yes any factory 'Grendel' ammo is good to go...

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan, from the Great Nation of Texas.
        If you get both barrel and bolt from AA, you will never be disappointed.

Comment

• donbcivil
          Unwashed
          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by paulw View Post
          Welcome to the forum neighbor! (I'm in Marysville)
          I don't think you can go wrong with AA, but there are more knowledgeable members here that will weigh in.
          Paul, where do you like to shoot around here? I'm a member at Seattle and Pistol in Macchias. Still haven't tried their 500 yard range, though.

Comment

• paulw
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2017

I'm a member at Marysville Rifle Club - it has pits at 200 yards & steel at 200 meters.
            Shoot me a PM if you want to hit the range sometime.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum donbcivil! Alexander Arms worked with Hornady to get the 6.5 Grendel chamber and ammunition SAAMI approved. Techically the 6.5 Grendel will have a compound throat with .300 neck. There are several variant chambers that will shoot 6.5 Grendel ammunition but there is no set standard to any variant chamber that shoot 6.5 Grendel ammunition. The variant chambers have different throats, free bore and neck dimensions. Basically if the barrel is not stamped/engraved 6.5 Grendel more than likely it is a variant chamber and not SAAMI spec.

Common variant chambers.

Les Baer 264 LBC AR

Black Whole Weaponry/Columbia River Arms 264 LBC

Satern/Liberty 6.5 Grendel II

Lothar Walther 6.5 CSS

Model 1 Sales 6.5 Sporter

Anderson Grendel 1.

Comment

• donbcivil
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2017

Originally posted by paulw View Post
                I'm a member at Marysville Rifle Club - it has pits at 200 yards & steel at 200 meters.
                Shoot me a PM if you want to hit the range sometime.
                I would enjoy that, Paul!

BTW, I was wondering where in our area 6.5 Grendel ammunition could be found for sale. I stopped at Cabelas near Quil Ceda yesterday and there was one box. Plenty of 6.8 Rem SPC, though, ironically...

Comment

• paulw
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jun 2017

Originally posted by donbcivil View Post
                  I would enjoy that, Paul!

BTW, I was wondering where in our area 6.5 Grendel ammunition could be found for sale. I stopped at Cabelas near Quil Ceda yesterday and there was one box. Plenty of 6.8 Rem SPC, though, ironically...
                  Ya - last time I checked Cabela's, they had exactly 1 box of Wolf (20 rounds) on, what? 4 rows of rifle ammo - and no shelf tags indicating they stock it and were just out. Sportsman's Warehouse in Everett had empty shelf space for it, but nothing to sell.
                  So far, I've mail ordered ~500 rounds of Hornady Black and picked up a 200 bulk pack of Hornady American Gunner from Sportsman's Warehouse online.
                  Getting ready to start processing the once fired brass & figuring out my re-loading procedure - this will be my first foray into loading anything other than straight walled handgun cartridges.....

Comment

Working...
                  X