• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tango4N
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2017

Checking in from Canada

Calgary, Alberta, Canada here.

Looking with great interest at the 6.5G.

Here the AR-15 is restricted meaning range toys only. Can't hunt with it, or shoot it on your private property at the farm or in the woods. 5 years in jail if caught. Barrel length doesn't matter either, though other semi-autos become restricted at less than 18.5 inches.

In Canada we have a bunch of others that are non-restricted which are similar, AR-180B, Tavor, SU-16 and a couple of in country manufacturers producing A Modern Hunter and Modern Varminter which combine attributes of the FAL (prohibited here, if you didn't have one when they banned it you ain't getting one now and if you do have one it's not even going to the range to shoot it....safe queen....and when you die it gets confiscated by the state and destroyed) and the AR-15 with a hefty price tag minimum of $3K and many go up to $5K depending on options.

This brings me to this. This past week a new manufacturer has introduced an upper and lower receiver set which is not an AR-15 but will take any and all AR-15 parts and accessories!! It went to the RCMP test lab to get approval and they duct tape it to an AR-15 receiver and try and make it go bang and as well full auto. If if does not then you are granted permission to manufacture.

This is all hot off the press and we in Canada are very excited about this. Of course just an upper and lower stripped reciver set is $ 1,000 but as we can't hunt with an AR this opens up a host of possibilities.

The beauty of the AR-15 system is of course it's modularity as we all know. .223 for varmints, 6.5 G for deer and say 458 SOCOM for bear and moose. Using a firearm for HD is verboten here. You can, but you will be charged and spend all your money in court to maybe get it dropped but by then you are financially ruined, and still get sued by the "victim's" family.

So I have been researching various calibers in the AR-15 family as i can install any such barrel on this upper and shoot and hunt with it with no restrictions. This is a game changer here. I first looked at 300 BLK but then stumbled upon the 6.5G and find it superior in every way for my needs.

Here to learn what I can about it. I handload as well so will be doing so for this caliber.

Probably at least a year away from this but still.

That is all!
  • just_john
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2012

T4N, welcome to the Clan, from the Great Nation of Texas. Some years ago, had on opportunity to go to work in BC. Couldn't go 'cause they didn't like my Texas toys. Have a lot of close friends in Toronto who moan and wail 'cause they can't do what we do. Really sad.
    Am very interested in the referenced manufacturer and what that part set is. Please tell us more.

Comment

• Tango4N
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2017

Here is a copy of a quote from a friend's FB page. Explains it a little bit. I was at Calgary Shooting Centre yesterday and they had one on display. $100 to hold a pre-order slot. $1000 for a stripped upper and lower.

BC is full of lefties, probably good you didn't go! They wouldn't like your toys either.

The Maccabee Defense SLR, Canada's NON-RESTRICTED answer to the AR15!
      As most of us black rifle owners know, the lower receiver of the AR15 is the only part that qualifies as a firearm and is arbatrarily classified as restricted in Canada. We can't hunt with it and can ONLY use it at a range to shoot paper, steel and plastic. We are not using this sporting rifle for what it is, the most versatile sporting/hunting rifle in North America.
      The people over at Maccabee Defense brought the 60 year old AR design into the 21st century while going above and beyond to meet requirements mindlessly thought of by our anti-gun Liberal government and the rifle platform has now achieved the Non-Restricted classification! (FRT 181822)
      The lower and upper receivers, although NOT AR15, DO utilize the SAME parts as the AR15. Yes, you heard me correctly! The lower and upper receiver parts that fit on the stripped AR15 upper and lower receivers ALSO fit on the MacDef SLR lower and upper receivers!
      What does this mean for Canadian gun owners? Well, strip all the parts of your AR15 receivers, install them on the MacDef SLR receivers and now you can finally go hunting! You also don't need to register it or worry about ATT paperwork!! Remember, all you need is your PAL!
      The MacDef SLR will be compatible with 12 calibers so rest assured you will find the right platform for you! If installing a barrel shorter than 18.5 inches, remember, you have 30 days to register as a restricted.
      Calgary Shooting Centre has a pre-order open RIGHT NOW!
      The stripped lower and upper receiver combo retails at $999 with $100 pre-order deposit.
      The stripped upper receiver retails at $399 with $50 deposit for those who want additional upper receivers to have multiple calibers on demand.
      Hurry up and place your deposit by clicking this link below!
      CSC - Canada's Gun Shop is dedicated to bringing you the firearms, optics, ammunition and accessories that you're looking for at the best prices around.

Please share this post, doing so will show your support for not only a Canadian company but the Canadian firearms community!

Comment

• Tango4N
        Unwashed
        • Nov 2017

Here is another page and some photos. Still not sure how it goes together. No push-pins that can be seen.

Am I allowed to post links? I will put a space at the h ttps.

h ttps://gunworx.ca/products/maccabee-defense-receiver-set-pre-order

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Very interesting Tango4N, welcome to the forum!

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

T4N - how do you put a trigger in it? Don't see the holes for either the trigger or the hammer? Is that how they qualify it - looks pretty but won't shoot?
            I was in Toronto when the gov't killed the log gun registry. A lot of interesting articles in the Toronto paper ("the end of the world"? ).

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Is this a manually operated AR only?

Comment

Working...
              X