• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tim300wsm
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2017

sabre defence

I found a good deal on a complete sabre defence upper and I just wanted to check if there was any reason to stay away. It's a 16" barrel and im hoping to get 1moa with hand loads out to about 400 yards. I have read a lot of great things about their barrels but that the chrome lined one's had chamber and accuracy issues.
  • Lastrites
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

Originally posted by tim300wsm View Post
    I found a good deal on a complete sabre defence upper and I just wanted to check if there was any reason to stay away. It's a 16" barrel and im hoping to get 1moa with hand loads out to about 400 yards. I have read a lot of great things about their barrels but that the chrome lined one's had chamber and accuracy issues.
    In bold is telling enough to think about it twice.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by tim300wsm View Post
      tim:

The earlier Saber stuff was dependable. Before they went out of business (indicator) their quality became worse. So, I advise against you making a decision based on the brand name.

Chrome lined service grade barrels will give you service grade performance. Risky to think any service grade barrel will give you the performance level you want at 400 yards.

I would go with a barrel made by a reputable company.

LR55

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Saber was shut down by the ATF for legal issues with some of the employees and sear pin hole lowers based on what I remember.

Stuff was being transported to the UK and overseas for contract work without proper State Dept approval if my memory serves me right.

They made good carbines and rifles though.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Lightning8
          Warrior
          • Jun 2015

I have a 20 inch 6.5 Grendel upper by Sabre. It has fluted barrel and - interestingly - mid length gas system. It shoots very well and is my favorite AR upper. I would love to find a deal on a 16 inch Sabre upper. Mine is stainless.

Comment

• 762n40
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2015

Those chrome molly barrels by Sabre defense with the A-post front sight and chrome lined chamber and bore Stamped Sabre Defense 1:7.5 twist, and were made by Alaxander Arms for Sabre defense. The last remaining barrels that were released from the ATF that were seized, were released a couple-few years ago and someone like Red-x Arms bought the whole lot of parts and uppers. They had all these complete uppers, Barrels, and parts for sale on there website, even had the story about the lot posted on there website.............
            From what I remember of it................

Comment

• derek45
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2017

I have an old 5.56 16" 1:7 sabre middy that's very nice.

had a sabre lower, but sold it during one of the obama era panics.

it was nice too.

NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

• Texas
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2016

Originally posted by 762n40 View Post
                Those chrome molly barrels by Sabre defense with the A-post front sight and chrome lined chamber and bore Stamped Sabre Defense 1:7.5 twist, and were made by Alaxander Arms for Sabre defense. The last remaining barrels that were released from the ATF that were seized, were released a couple-few years ago and someone like Red-x Arms bought the whole lot of parts and uppers. They had all these complete uppers, Barrels, and parts for sale on there website, even had the story about the lot posted on there website.............
                From what I remember of it................
                Sabre Defence made AA barrels for a while. There were at least three different Grendel reamer designs used in the early years. The hard chroming of a barrel can be problematic in the shoulder area and can be corrected with a die grinder and scotch brite.

Comment

Working...
                X