• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1075 tech
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

Grendel and Federal Fusion Get It Done

After last year's take using Hornady SST in which I lost nearly a quarter of a small doe due to meat damage, I switched up to the Federal Fusion 120 gr. Unfortunately, I was never able to get out to see how they shot compared to the SST.

At the last minute, I decided to use them. I figured that at the distances I typically shoot a deer, the POI couldn't be too far off.

I took this 3 pt buck at about 20 yards. Bullet entered just above right shoulder and exited just above left shoulder.

Shot was a little high and may have missed the lungs but it did take off the top third of the heart. Broke one rid on entrance.

He ran about 30 yards and fell over.

Minimal meat damage. Exit hole not huge but enough to have produced a good blood trail had I needed it.

In the picture, he looks kind of small. But, he is solid. All meat. Butcher's hanging scale is broke but he estimates a field dressed weight of 150 - 160. I know I couldn't pick him up and get him on my tailgate by myself but I was figuring it was my old age coming through.

PART_1511034039560_KIMG0041.jpg
  • just_john
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2012

I can smell it cooking, now! Good lookin' deer. Excellent bullet results! Well done!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

Good kill!

Please tell me more about the Fed Fusion performance. Did it appear to just bore a nice hole through the deer? Damage around the wound channel?

While I am a fan of SST for hogs because of all of the damage it does, I don't suggest it for meat hunters, but I frequently get folks asking me about other ammo and I haven't tried Fusion yet. So any insights or thoughts you have on it would be helpful.
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Congrats! Are you the first to post results with the 120gr Federal Fusion here?
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 1075 tech
          Warrior
          • Apr 2015

Last year I shot a small doe at about the same distance using the SST. This was my first experience using the SST. In previous years I used my 308 bolt gun, usually with Remington Core-Lokt.

The SST was explosive. Like a grenade went off inside the deer. The processor I use tossed the shoulder as it was completely destroyed. The lungs were liquified and the heart was in pieces.

My butcher said the hide was the only thing holding the shoulder on.

This buck was probably twice the weight of last year's doe.

I talked to my butcher last night and actually went and watched him cut up a deer. The amount of bloodshot meat from a shoulder shot is impressive. Turns it to jelly. He took a picture of the inside of one of the shoulder's from my deer.

Resized952017111995180923.jpg

As you can see, still a decent amount of bloodshot meat, but still somewhat salvageable.

He said the bullet passed through one shoulder blade but didn't break the shoulder. The exit hole was larger, but not a gaping hole. This tells me the bullet mushroomed upon impact, maybe doubling in caliber.

When I field dressed the deer, I didn't find much, if any, lung damage, unlike the SST. The top third of the heart was gone, but the remainder was intact. Again, unlike the SST.

No fragments were found in the meat which indicates that the bonded core design worked well.

In all the years I've hunted, this is actually the first time I watched someone process a deer. After seeing the amount of meat damage from any type of bullet, I think I'm going to change my shot placement from boiler room heart/lung to high neck/base of skull whenever possible.

Overall, I'm happy with the Fusion performance. Hopefully I'll get a few more chances this season to do some more "testing".

Comment

• Wafavre2
            Warrior
            • Feb 2017

Thanks for the post good info for the meat hunters. Loaded up some Nosler Partition with 23.8 gr IMR 8208 BRX 2550 fps and they grouped well@ 100yards. I am going to give them a try on a 5 day hunt starting tomorrow. Has anyone taken game with the Partition?

Comment

• howl
              Warrior
              • Nov 2015

Racks shrink on the ground, but body weight somehow seems to grow as you drag them out. I once shot two 70# does that were over 100# each by the time we put them on the scale.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Wafavre2 View Post
                Thanks for the post good info for the meat hunters. Loaded up some Nosler Partition with 23.8 gr IMR 8208 BRX 2550 fps and they grouped well@ 100yards. I am going to give them a try on a 5 day hunt starting tomorrow. Has anyone taken game with the Partition?
                Forum members have used the 100gr and 125gr Partition with hand loads with success:

125gr Partition, 20" Saber Defense Grendel

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                X