Looking to pick up new die set for 6.5 Grendel for an AR.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Songdog
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2017

Looking to pick up new die set for 6.5 Grendel for an AR.

• lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Stick with Forster, best customer service!
    Everybody makes some form of die or another....

Comment

• Willfg
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2017

I've been looking at this: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ter-seater-die

And this: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ngth-sizer-die

Not sure what else is needed for Grendel...crimp die?

Comment

• lrgrendel
        Warrior
        • Jul 2013

That seater Die is awesome, great price.
        The FL sizer die depends on what type of rifle you are loading for, AR or bolt?
        Last edited by lrgrendel; 11-21-2017, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

I have a Forster bench rest die set and I like it quite a bit. I load for the AR and Howa Mini Action in the .264/6.5 Grendel. I use Redding and RCBS primarily for the other calibers I load for.
          Last edited by Lone Hunter; 12-22-2017, 02:13 AM. Reason: Add Info

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

SD:

You are better off running a search on the subject because it is asked once every five or six weeks and guys have stopped responding.

Run a search, see the complete picture, and if you want advice on your decision, ask.

LR55

Comment

• Willfg
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
              That seater Die is awesome, great price.
              The FL sizer die depends on what type of rifle you are loading for, AR or bolt?
              For AR

Comment

• cb4017
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

I've been using the Hornady New Dimension dies to load for 3 different 6.5 Grendel AR pattern rifles. I've had no problems.
                Cliff
                USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Nobody is coming. It's up to you.

Comment

• rphicks46
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2017

FWIW, I load 12 different calibers from .38/.357 to 35 Whelen and all my dies are Lee - for 35 years, never problem.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

The Forster and Redding dies are the best but way too expensive for me.
                    RCBS are top-notch but I don't want a small-base set. Works the brass too much and shortens it's life.

Hornady gets great reviews everywhere I've looked. Until the end of the year they have a rebate that gets you some free bullets.

So I'm getting the $31 die set with about $20 worth of free bullets. Hard to beat that deal.
                    And I like that Hornady sells a micrometer seating stem that can be added later.
                    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
                      The Forster and Redding dies are the best but way too expensive for me.
                      RCBS are top-notch but I don't want a small-base set. Works the brass too much and shortens it's life.

Hornady gets great reviews everywhere I've looked. Until the end of the year they have a rebate that gets you some free bullets.

So I'm getting the $31 die set with about $20 worth of free bullets. Hard to beat that deal.
                      And I like that Hornady sells a micrometer seating stem that can be added later.
                      R99:

Yes, a SB die will work the base more than a standard die. No, it won't wear the brass out unless the brass was shot from a MG, your chamber is grossly out of spec or something else is stretching or blowing out the brass way past normal.

If your blaster has a decent chamber and is functioning properly, you will open the primer pockets or crack the necks from overuse before you have a headspace separation due to a SB die.

With the Grendel, I have not experienced a need for a SB die. Some on the forum have so will wait and see if any of them have destroyed their brass from using a SB die.

LR55

Comment

• Randy99CL
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                        R99:

Yes, a SB die will work the base more than a standard die. No, it won't wear the brass out unless the brass was shot from a MG, your chamber is grossly out of spec or something else is stretching or blowing out the brass way past normal.

If your blaster has a decent chamber and is functioning properly, you will open the primer pockets or crack the necks from overuse before you have a headspace separation due to a SB die.

With the Grendel, I have not experienced a need for a SB die. Some on the forum have so will wait and see if any of them have destroyed their brass from using a SB die.

LR55
                        Thanks LR.
                        Since the Hornady set is so cheap (and reportedly good) I'm getting one and only resizing as much as needed. It is good to know that the RCBS dies are available if my chamber is tight.
                        "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• ErikS
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2017

I have always used RCBS dies in my Rock Chucker, will any brand dies work?
                          #shareyourspare

Comment

• cb4017
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by ErikS View Post
                            I have always used RCBS dies in my Rock Chucker, will any brand dies work?
                            Yes. I mix & match different manufacturer dies in my RCBS and Lee press with no problems. That is assuming they are standard 7/8-14 thread size.
                            Cliff
                            USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Nobody is coming. It's up to you.

Comment

Working...
                            X