• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

12 inch Group Buy Pistol Transformation

Like others, I am new to the Grendel but am very impressed. It is such a great round for what my needs are (low recoil, mid power, flat shooting, long range accuracy, AR15 based). My "truck" gun has been a 300blk pistol with a 7 inch barrel which has suited me well as a 100 yard "coyote getter". It is now getting upgraded with the 12" group buy Grendel barrel. This should push my range well past the 100 yard mark. I don't have the funds on hand to make all the upgrades that I want right away, but here is the list of future upgrades.

Barrel and bolt from this forum's group buys (Thanks again BluntForceTrauma)
    Flip up BUIS replaced with a Redfield 2-7x33mm with the Accu-Range reticile
    Griffin Armament M2 45 degree sights added
    Mil-spec Trigger Group replaced with a JMT Saber drop in trigger
    Standard A2 grip replaced with a BCM Mod 0 Grip
    7inch hand guard replaced with 10 inch

The rest of the parts that are staying the same includes:
    Kak arm brace
    Polymer80 lower
    BCA side charging upper

Here is the before picture.

300blk.jpg
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Decided to keep the 300blk upper and just make a new one for the Grendel barrel. I still like the 300blk and want to keep it around. So I ordered a standard Grendel upper and BCG from Bear Creek as well as a hand guard. Also, while the JMT trigger has great reviews, it looks to have one achilles heel... light primer strikes. Which appears to only be a problem on 22lr and steel case ammo. Since the 6.5 Grendel plinking ammo is steel cased, I'll probably be installing a Velocity 4lb steel case trigger instead. The last thing that I am contemplating is swapping out the lower receiver from the Polymer80 to an Aero Precision M4E1 lower so I can remove any potential wobble between the lower and upper.

I wonder how many more times that I will change my mind before the barrel gets here.
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
      Warrior
      • Nov 2017

The BCA upper, BCG and hand guard still haven't shipped. I ordered them Nov 29th and I've had the UPS shipping confirmation since Dec 5th. Shipping with them is always hit and miss. They have actually forgotten to ship my orders before. I called and they said that it should go out this week.

In the mean time, here is the lower waiting for the upper and trigger. I ended up using the Aero Gen 2 lower for this since I wanted the M4E1 on the other build. The Gen 2 still has the upper adjustment screw which was the reason I wanted the M4E1. To tell the truth, I really prefer the M4E1. It has got to be my current favorite lower.

Grendel Pistol.jpg
      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

Laser Test

Turns out that the owner of the one and only local restaurant has a laser as well as a sign making machine. He said that when you are self employed in this neck of the woods that you need to diversify. I asked him to do a test on my pistol upper while I'm waiting for the barrel so he put my initials on the underside. It turned out pretty well. Tonight he is going to try and get the monster on the left hand side of it. I ran it buy BFT to make sure he was ok with me "borrowing" the monster for my personal build.

Test Engraving.jpg
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

The barrel came in today and my buddy finished the laser engraving. He gave me an extra key chain and a few decals as well. The pictures are grainy due to the cheap phone camera, but the images are nice a crisp in real life.

Safe.jpg

Keychain 1.jpg

Keychain 2.jpg

Grr Receiver.jpg
          Last edited by Frontier Gear; 01-20-2018, 02:35 AM.
          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Bigs28
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2016

Very nice.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
              Warrior
              • Nov 2017

Finished

Well here it is. Besides needing optics and function testing it's done. It's a little longer than the 300 blackout, but it is a lot more useful since it can reach deer and coyotes out to 400 yards.

12 ich Grendel.jpg
              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                Warrior
                • Nov 2017

I ended up going with open sights on it (for now at least). With the carry handle and sling it is really nice to pack around. I took it on a hike today and it was a joy to carry. While I was at it, I put it through it's first function tests. It worked without any issues at all. The bolt held open correctly after all the last rounds and it didn't have any jams or mis-feeds. I tried an E-Lander and a C-Products mag. Rapid fire worked flawlessly too. I meant to order an M-Lok hand guard and accidental got a Keymod one instead. I just prefer the looks of M-Lok. So I just used it and ordered some BCM Keymod rail covers. They are actually really nice.

It does have some recoil. It's not bad but is noticeable. Although it doesn't have the "in your face" muzzle blast of some of the .223 pistols that I've shot, which is nice. All-in-all it is pleasant and easy to shoot. About like a .357 magnum lever gun. It just has a lot more energy and reach than a .357 or even a .223 or 300 blackout.

Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

Working...
                X