What are you planning for your threaded Howa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

What are you planning for your threaded Howa?

Bought this for my TC COMPASS 6.5 Creedmoor for $75...

KY Gun Co is your one-stop online shop with the lowest prices for firearms, ammunition, accessories, parts, and outdoor essentials. We ship fast and easy around the country from our home locations in Kentucky, and are always ready to help.

Might try it on my Howa if I ever get it threaded.

I suspect more suppressors than brakes?
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Since I just paid to have mine done....I went with the VG6 6.5 brake. Was planning on the Atlas from Odin Works, but I have deadlines and a budget that has already been blown out of the water.

Ultimately they will be fitted for suppressors. Time and money.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Voodoo Innovations jet comp.
      Several MB's will reduce recoil and muzzle jump 30-35%, some up to I think 60 (APA Lil B** but its $$$).
      Lots of guys are using the VG6.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Nodak
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

Crux 6.5mm Saxon suppressor. Another couple months and she'll be all mine.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

ThunderBeast sent me 4 muzzle devices.

One will go on my 12" AR15 pistol.

I need a 9/16x24 from them if I'm going to thread my Howa Mini because the muzzle is much smaller, won't work with 5/8x24.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lrgrendel
            Warrior
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            ThunderBeast sent me 4 muzzle devices.

One will go on my 12" AR15 pistol.

I need a 9/16x24 from them if I'm going to thread my Howa Mini because the muzzle is much smaller, won't work with 5/8x24.
            Why won't it work?

The TC Compass came theaded 5/8 x 24, it measures 0.65" at the muzzle and that Mammoth brake I bought was designed for and obviously fits my rifle.

My Howa mini measures 0.73" at the muzzle.20171124_214642-1238x696.jpg

Comment

• Nodak
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

Mabe it's the skinny barrel?

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

I was able to get my heavy barrels done at 5/8, but it's close. I think the size steps are 1 level off what one would normally think. Heavy profile is 3/4" diameter. That is about a standard profile for most barrels isn't it? I don't doubt that the standard, especially the pencil profiles would need the 9/16 or even 1/2 threads, even if there were enough meat on them to thread.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Some standard profile 22" barrels are 0.620 at the muzzle, maybe his is that way.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2013

Maybe I did not make it clear.
                    The photo is of a barrel that is 0.65” and it is threaded 5/8 x 24

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
                      Why won't it work?

The TC Compass came theaded 5/8 x 24, it measures 0.65" at the muzzle and that Mammoth brake I bought was designed for and obviously fits my rifle.

My Howa mini measures 0.73" at the muzzle.[ATTACH=CONFIG]10253[/ATTACH]
                      That picture is a great illustration of why. There's no shoulder for the muzzle device or a direct-thread suppressor.

With a smaller thread diameter like 9/16x24 (.5625"), you can get a shoulder on something closer to a .700" muzzle. That won't even be small enough for my Howa 22" lightweight profile, which is .575" at the muzzle.

This is why a larger profile at the muzzle supports threading better. I personally like as much meat on the muzzle as possible, not thin walls on the threads.

What I've seen in Europe with these types of barrels is a reflex suppressor that attaches several inches back on the barrel, as well as at the muzzle. That's a 2-point attachment method.

You can also make a step-up bushing for a really thin profile muzzle.

The factory threaded Howa's have a heavy barrel, so no worries.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

I missed that 0.65" ref, sorry. I had a couple of 0.620" barrels at the muzzles, obviously they were too small for 0.625 thread (5/8-anything) I wanted, couple of places I looked when trying to find out what to do with them recommended 0.650 minimum diameters for the 5/8 threads, which your TC meets. I ran into shoulder considerations on my barrels, one of them my GS cut it back and then there was enough for a shoulder/threading, so we were fine.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2013

At the end of the day. My Mammoth muzzle brake with a 5/8 x 24 thread will absolutely thread on to my HOWA HB should I chose to do it.

This is the muzzle brake on the TC COMPASS rifle which is thinner than my Howa.Screenshot_2017-11-25-13-36-16-576x324.png
                          Last edited by lrgrendel; 11-25-2017, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• explorecaves
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

lrgrendel - you are talking about muzzle brakes and flash hiders which due to their short oal, are less likely to cause a bullet strike (just a shift in POI which is nominally corrected with a basic sight adjustment). LRRPF52 is talking about for use with a suppressor. Without a shoulder to provide a datum for the suppressor to align to, the chances of you having baffle strikes increases exponentially. Now there is the possibility of going with a muzzle device similar to the SCAR that indexes off the muzzle rather than the shoulder....

Comment

Working...
                            X