• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gmaxx
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2017

Issue with Wolf ammo

This morning I was sighting in my grendel pistol and rifle. The pistol I have shot a fair amount and after some initial feeding issues have had no problems, I made some adjusts that made me move the scope forward, which is why I was re-zeroing it.
    This was the first time I had shot the rifle as I just got the scope for it. The first 3 shots were fine except that they were way low, off the whole target at fifty meters, so I had to move closer. After these shots, the rifle started to malfunction, either partially chambering a round and locking halfway open, or not picking up the next round at all. The magazines I used worked fine in the pistol. I noticed that the bolt was barely locking back on the last round, I could pull out the magazine, but any other slight movement would cause the bolt to close. I switched out the buffer and buffer spring with one I have used in a .233 AR for years and now it is functioning fine. I initially used Wolf ammo to get as close as possible and then finished up with PF loaded 129 gr ABLR which will be my hunting round. The reason I am posting this came up as I was cleaning up the steel cases from the wolf ammo. I noticed that some had split just below the neck. I've never noticed this before when shooting the pistol with wolf ammo. Has anyone else noticed this with the wolf ammo? Would it be caused by some rounds being loaded too hot? I've seen split cases before with worn out brass I had reloaded several times before (in other calibers, not grendel) but never in once fired cases, steel or brass. Could there be something wrong with the rifle causing this? It is an 18in CORE15 upper. IMG_6076_1500x1500.jpgIMG_6073_1500x1500.jpgIMG_6077_1500x1500.jpg
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

I'd be taking a good hard look inside your chamber now. First report I have heard of factory ammo splitting. Blown and pierced primers, but not split cases.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I have had a few split Wolf steel cases out of all three of my 6.5 Grendels. I think the cases are just weak. I bought 500 rounds of Wolf steel ammo out of the first batch Alexander Arms put on the market. I also have a batch from a couple years ago. I’ve gotten a couple split cases out of the second batch but not as many as the first batch. Other forum members also reported split cases. I’ve inspected the chambers on my rifles and haven’t observed any abnormalities after shooting Wolf steel cased ammo other than being dirty.

Just a wild guess but since steel is not as flexible as brass the cases crack after the pressures drop but might still stick to the walls of the chamber. The extractions process and heat may crack the thin metal case from the jolt of the bolt pulling the case rearward. The cases are probably low quality steel since it’s cheap and there might be a weak spot at the molecular level.

Comment

Working...
      X