• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thedudeabides
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2016

Whitetail doe w/ the 105 MKZ Cavity Back Bullet

Got this 80# young doe w/ the 105 MKZ and 27.0 gr of VVn135 , CCI450.
    It was a 40 yd shot and she only went 20yds down the ravine. Broke the scapula at the shoulder joint and rib on entry; another rib on exit. There wasn't much of a blood trail, even though the top of heart was gone and 1" holes on both sides of the rib cage; the holes in the hide were practically undetectable without close scrutiny from the inside out. I think the initial impact with the heavy bone exploded off the petals and left the core to pencil on through without the normal expanded diameter. 2 bullet petals were recovered under near side hide weighing 15gr. I was having trouble getting sub-moa groups with the 105s using 8208 XBR, but with the VihtaVouri, they shrunk right down. I'm grateful for yet another capable, lead-free hunting bullet.

IMG_2454.jpgIMG_2447.jpgIMG_2445.jpgIMG_2442.jpgIMG_2441.jpgIMG_2439.jpg
    18" .264 LBC BHW fluted barrel
  • usmcm16a2
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

thedude,

Great going, I use the 118gr MKZ. Using 30.5 of CFE 223 at about 2455fps, I had groups down to .56 inches at 100yds. Taking a trip to the desert out near Lone Pine California to introduce the MKZ to the locals, coyotes. It just got approved in the state. A2

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

I also had better luck with the 118 gr. for grouping and they cloverleafed at 100 yards, but the 105s were still accurate, around 1 MOA, IIRC, for me.

That the petals broke off after hitting the head of the scapula doesn't surprise me. That is going to be fairly dense bone.

Thanks for the necropsy work!!!
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Keef
        Warrior
        • Jun 2017

looks yummy.

Comment

Working...
        X