• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Fog,
    My point is that it's rare to ever need them so if you're going to consider cheap counterfeit clones because the genuine article is too expensive then don't bother. As for the Mythbusters real event, people get hit by lightning but we don't go round wearing lightning rods.

'Hopefully no more firefights'. I hope so too for your sake. Hopefully you'll be withdrawn from the FEBA and back in the States soon. But, if you are already back in the States then thank you for making my point about the distinction between reality and fiction, and civilian and military. We're talking about your gun, not a work gun. Work guns are for overseas combat where a BUIS makes sense, sometimes. Civilian guns are for recreation, competition, hunting and heaven forbid the very rare and unlikely scenario you might need it to defend your family. In any of those civilian scenarios what is the likelihood you will need a BUIS?

If you compete in Three-gun then knock yourself out with the offsets because you need them. If you want to build a gun that pays homage to the military then a set of BUIS will 'complete' the rifle and look good. Otherwise, you've got to pay for it, and carry it.

Frontier,
    You may not have wanted an alternate opinion but it doesn't hurt to consider it. Also, plenty of stories about the cheap knock-off's not holding zero. All that said, my only experience with BUIS is Troy and their genuine sights are all solid metal and hold zero. They are a bit high when folded which might be an issue with scope clearance. I prefer the HK rounded fronts because they are easier to line-up with the rear sights in low light when you can't see the post. I've used their Dioptic (diamond shape) rear sight and did not like it. The front sight post is a bit hard to adjust for elevation as it's longer than MILSPEC so the standard sight adjustment tool doesn't work. Easy to zero with a red dot sight if the red dot is on the same plane. I also use the BUIS as a field zero check if taking on and off the red dot.

Last edited by Klem; 11-26-2017, 03:06 AM.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
      Warrior
      • Nov 2016

this thread is kinda getting off topic with the saving private ryan reference thrown in the mix. it would be nice to get back on topic.

i bought six of the cheapo AIM chinese carry handle rear sights from classic for about $20 on sale. those can be handy and fairly comfortable to carry sometimes. they seem like they are worth the $20. but a disclaimer i havent used any of them yet.

within the last couple weeks i received some diamond head metal flip up set for $80 @ primary. idk if I'd recommend them. they are very big IMO not really sleek at all. but do seem durable and a good price for what you get. i dont think i like the reticles but they COULD be replaced with std. front and rears. or better yet upgraded KNS post and rear.

personally i REALLY like my YHM solid steel front flip up combo gas block. seems battle ready and very durable. has a HK style type globe. and i take my front post and screw it in a 8-32 cleaning rod adapter chuck it in the drill press and file the post to about .062"

as far as im concerned though there is no sight im really happy with. I'm currently trying to buy a nice PC so i can do some design work and try and develope my own. i think we'll all agree the trigger and sights have the biggest impact on accuracy. and there's always room in the market for great sights.

i started on williams peep sights on my Benjamin pellet gun when i was a kid and have always been fond of good quality iron sights.

p.s. thanks FG i didnt know Rainier had those Griffin's and ive been dying to check them out. ill have to stop by there sometime soon. (their bargain table gets me almost every time though)
      Last edited by The Profit Joseph Sith; 11-26-2017, 02:44 AM.

Comment

• FOGII
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2016

Klem,

Permanently 1st CivDiv now. Health issue preclude 3 gun competition. High end metal back-ups with a better sight picture than the MagPuls if I was carrying a weapon but the MagPuls are sturdy enough, weigh little, and allow hits out to at least 300 yards COM or chest area of deer/hog.

I choose my retirement place reduce the chances of needing a weapon but similar to your lightning analogy I reduce, but don’t eliminate, the possibility. The chances are less than 0.1% but I still practice.

As for hunting I shoot my deer and some hogs with friends but cost of failure is at most embarrassment and a round or two.

TPJS,

For a front sight I agree that a HK style post in a circle is both faster and more accurate than the U.S. style wings. My point is that on a cost to utility for those outside of three gun the Magpul came out on top.

S/F, FOG

Comment

• Frontier Gear
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by FOGII View Post
          My point is that on a cost to utility for those outside of three gun the Magpul came out on top.
          Can I ask which Magpuls you are using?

p.s. thanks FG i didnt know Rainier had those Griffin's and ive been dying to check them out. ill have to stop by there sometime soon. (their bargain table gets me almost every time though)
          Your welcome.

I guess that the three sets that I was looking at were the Griffins, Strike Ind Sidwinders and the Magpul Mbus Pro. All three are about the same price and I had never used any of them when I bought the Griffins. The Griffins were made out of steel and looked like they would be slim. Other than that, I basically just flipped a coin between those three. I'd really like to hear from anyone who tried the Sidewinder or Magpul Pro sights. Or better yet, if anyone likes them and has found them at a better price.

The SI-Sidewinder is a backup iron sight that offers unprecedented flexibility. In one low profile package, the Sidewinder offers the on the go option for Left or Right 45 degree offset or traditional in line capabilities. Whether you are in need of a low profile, low snag inline backup for your red dot, or a short range, offset CQB sight backup for magnified optics, the Sidewinder can fill your needs. The low profile SI-Ambush mounting system can clear even the largest of optics and the offset sight means instant access to your back up iron sights without removing your optic. The SI-Sidewinder is a jack of all trades iron sight without compromise.Product Spec: Weight: 3.4 oz Package includes:- 1x Sidewinder Front Sight Assembly- 1x Sidewinder Rear Sight Assembly   Features- SI-Ambush low profile mounting system.- Left or Right 45 degree offset and traditional inline capabilities in one unit.- Tool-less dial adjustments for windage and elevation.- Steel and Aircraft Aluminum construction.- Reversible for left or right hand use- Lower 1/3 cowitness with A2 height sights

Building on the proven MBUS Pro platform, the MBUS Pro Offset Sights are part of an an effective aiming system to supplement magnified optics on M1913 Picatinny mounting surfaces. In the event of a damaged or nonfunctional primary optic, or a close target, rotating the rifle 45 degrees provides the shooter with a fully-featured iron sighting solution.The MBUS Pro Offset Front Sight features durable Melonited steel construction, positive detented lockup when deployed, tool-less adjustment of the front post for easy zeroing, and a low profile footprint to ensure compatibility and reduce interference with most rifle setups.Made in U.S.A.Features:     All steel construction     Case hardened and finished with Melonite QPQ™ for extreme resistance to wear and corrosion     Mounts on any MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny/STANAG 4694 rail including receiver-height gas blocks     Elevation adjustment knob – no tools required     Positive detents in both the up and down positions as well as on the elevation knob     Standard AR height over bore when deployed, 45 deg. offset right-hand side Specifications:         Weight, w/ hardware: 1.8 oz.         Height above rail at clamp: ~0.18"         Length, stowed: 1.9"

Building on the proven MBUS Pro platform, the MBUS Pro Offset Sights are part of an an effective aiming system to supplement magnified optics on M1913 Picatinny mounting surfaces. In the event of a damaged or nonfunctional primary optic, or a close target, rotating the rifle 45 degrees provides the shooter with a fully-featured iron sighting solution.The MBUS Pro Offset Rear Sight features durable Melonited steel construction, positive detented lockup when deployed, tool-less windage adjustment for easy zeroing, dual rear apertures, and a low profile footprint to ensure compatibility and reduce interference with most rifle setups.Made in U.S.A.Features:     All steel construction     Case hardened and finished with Melonite QPQ™ for extreme resistance to wear and corrosion     Mounts on any MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny/STANAG 4694 rail     Windage adjustable with low-profile knob – no tools required     Positive detents in both the up and down positions     Standard AR height over bore when deployed, 45 deg. offset right-hand side Specifications:         Weight, w/ hardware: 2.0 oz.         Height above rail at clamp: ~0.18"         Length, stowed: 2.0"         Small aperture dia.: 0.07"         Large aperture dia.: 0.19"
          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

I have these:

They are solid and point to the same spot as the scope.

I posted about the BUIS I added to my Howa mini Grendel here:

After trying to get a manually operated side charging AR working acceptably for deer hunting in Pennsyslvania, I broke down and bought the Howa Mini Grendel Youth model from Whittakers for $350. The side charging AR could really only be a single shot and mortar the empty out, unless I loaded extremely light to enable manual

I was flamed with lots of comments about how I didn't need them but if i need them, I have them.
            Last edited by bj139; 11-26-2017, 01:17 PM. Reason: Forgot to add link

Comment

• Frontier Gear
              Warrior
              • Nov 2017

bj139,
              What brand are they? Do you have a link for them?
              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• FOGII
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2016

[QUOTE=Frontier Gear;173764]Can I ask which Magpuls you are using?

FG,

Gen2 in Black for the fight picture, not any of the "Tacticool" CDI colors.

S/F,FOG

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                  I have these:

They are solid and point to the same spot as the scope.

I posted about the BUIS I added to my Howa mini Grendel here:

After trying to get a manually operated side charging AR working acceptably for deer hunting in Pennsyslvania, I broke down and bought the Howa Mini Grendel Youth model from Whittakers for $350. The side charging AR could really only be a single shot and mortar the empty out, unless I loaded extremely light to enable manual

I was flamed with lots of comments about how I didn't need them but if i need them, I have them.
                  I only read one comment on your particular BUIS - to whit I agree that it is a legitimate concern, and not even a heat gun on the want or need for BUIS through the rest of the thread.

On my AR, I can rotate slightly and sight along the top rail and be MOM out to 100.

I could probably figure out what I need to hold on a Howa doing the same with a little practice. Even a shotgun bead on the end of the barrel I think would be sufficient for contact to 100y in hunting.

Batteries. They are small, and easily stashed on a weapon for spares. Battery dieing on a hunt debunked (or even TEOWAWKI - Aimpoint is 5 years constant on. Second battery kept in storage now you got ten years post apocalyptic red dot, and congratulations to you for staying alive and still have ammo). If both batteries fail, that is considered an omen and you should go home. Scope breakage on a hunt - I can see that, especially in damp wooded areas or rocky terrain and you take a header. You a physically OK but your shooting system is FUBAR.

Question. If you have a scope for hunting out to 300, do you really want to try to do that with irons?

If you are now restricted because of irons to 100 or less, is it worth it to continue the hunt, or turn around and head back for another option? This is where I can see carrying a spare scope that has already been zeroed for your rifle and keep it at base camp/truck/or small and light enough to keep in your pack and do a quick swap rather than fight with irons at an offset angle. A 1-4x I would think is more than enough for 300.

Too much optic (should have got the variable that you keep at the low end until you are ready to take the shot) for the up close encounters that honestly you could probably point shoot pretty accurately out to 50. This is a practice thing, that anyone that puts a set of BUIS on a firing system should be putting as much practice time on as their primary. BUIS is worthless if you only used them once to sight in - especially if they are offset.

Not flaming you, It's your rifle, do your thing brother. I am just presenting other potential options that could streamline things for others that are pondering this BUIS issue on a hunting rig.

YMMV. I only hunt paper and steel, and they have a tendency to stay put while I get a good final firing position and dial my dope and hold for windage, plus they don't jump out at me when I am moving to the next stage.
                  Last edited by Sticks; 11-26-2017, 11:09 AM.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

Sticks, I agree. I don't have any BUIS on my target only AR15s.
                    Deer have a tendency to run while you are attaching your backup scope. You have to use your backup now while you have a chance.
                    I sure hope I stay alive on my deer hunt. That should not be a consideration. I will be wearing plenty of blaze orange as required by law.
                    If a bullet hits my scope it will be a very bad hunt. I would probably be unable to continue.
                    People talk about hitting a deer at 400 yards with iron sights. My question is "what deer"? It will be hidden behind the front sight post.
                    My BUIS are for 25 to 50 yards and only for backup so completely manually operated. Why would I want to rely on a battery for 25 yards?

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
                      bj139,
                      What brand are they? Do you have a link for them?
                      Sorry, I didn't notice the link did not post.

Comment

• funnelcake
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2017

Some Holiday sales on Magpul MBUS 2.0 sets for $49.95 w/ free S&H... I think a couple places also had Diamondhead polymer sight sets for $40 bucks, but I’ve never used those. In the price range, the MBUS 2.0’s are the best engineered & built IMO.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2017

These by GG&G - I use them on my CQB. Simple, light and indestructable... Buy once, cry once.

The GG&G 45 Degree Iron Sights set up provides a quick way to engage close targets when your scope is in the way. Click or call GG&G 800-380-2540

They also have their regular BUIS on sale

Review The Package Description Below Package GGG-1725 Includes the GG&G A2 AR-15 Back Up Rear Iron Sight-GGG-1005 and the GG&G Front Flip Up Sight For Forearms-GGG-1033 Save Approximately 20%-Package Price $186 00 With Free Shipping Normal Retail $213 95 + $18 00 Shipping = $231 95
                          DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• henschman
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jun 2016

henschman said:Today 12:03 AM

Magpul MBUS polymer sights did the best out of any in a torture test several years ago, and they aren't too pricey. I use MBUS front sights on all mine... I use others for the rear sight due to my desire for adjustable elevation and/or needing to be low profile enough to clear the ocular housing of low mounted optics, but if you just need good basic irons, the MBUS are a quality, durable choice.

Comment

• JJA Guns
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2017

I have had good luck with Aero Precision sights on customers rifles. Not the most expensive not cheap either. Never had a set come back with any issues, and I know quite a few are primary sights on truck guns.

Comment

• SPQR 70AD
                                Unwashed
                                • Dec 2017

UTG sights are all metal cheap and as good as the overpriced ones

Comment

Working...
                                X