• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by SPQR 70AD View Post
    UTG sights are all metal cheap and as good as the overpriced ones
    Those look almost identical to the BCA sights.
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• SPQR 70AD
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2017

I have UTG flip up sites and standard rifle sites and they are great

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

One technique I've learned in the Arctic that works temporarily for fogged scopes is to spit water on the ocular lens when it fogs from your breath and face heat.

Another is to wear a face mask and be in shape enough to have a low working heart rate so you don't exhale so many BTUs through your mouth and nostrils, but that would involve taking it easy on the pralined candied yams, fried turkey, homemade stuffing, fresh rolls, gravy, my cranberry sauce recipe with cloves and cinnamon, coconut creme pie, caramelized pecan pie, blueberry pie...what were we talking about again?

Another option besides battery-powered micro RDS is the Trijicon RMR, with multiple dot sizes you can choose from.

Offset or piggyback the RMR for your close range movers and back-up aiming system to a quality variable power scope for hunting.

Not a low price option though.

Examples of Aimpoint vs Trijicon RMR (with fiber-optic illumination)

Last edited by LRRPF52; 12-01-2017, 11:32 PM.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SPQR 70AD
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          One technique I've learned in the Arctic that works temporarily for fogged scopes is to spit water on the ocular lens when it fogs from your breath and face heat.

Another is to wear a face mask and be in shape enough to have a low working heart rate so you don't exhale so many BTUs through your mouth and nostrils, but that would involve taking it easy on the pralined candied yams, fried turkey, homemade stuffing, fresh rolls, gravy, my cranberry sauce recipe with cloves and cinnamon, coconut creme pie, caramelized pecan pie, blueberry pie...what were we talking about again?

Another option besides battery-powered micro RDS is the Trijicon RMR, with multiple dot sizes you can choose from.

Offset or piggyback the RMR for your close range movers and back-up aiming system to a quality variable power scope for hunting.

Not a low price option though.

Examples of Aimpoint vs Trijicon RMR (with fiber-optic illumination)

looking thru those red dots and the way the severely limit the field of view I still say for most work the issue ghost ring irons are the best and with a little practice can be used with both eyes open

Comment

• pinzgauer
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Klem View Post
            Why do you need them?

I know it's all about if your primary optic crashes but let's be realistic, how often does that happen?
            Can't answer when you would or would not need them.

But there is a reason they have private Snuffy tie his optic on. And they still lose them.

I've seen a locktited aimpoint come loose in it's mount and spin.

They are crazy expensive relative to size. But pretty complex.

I still like shooting iron sight carbines for fun, so lean toward the LMT cut down carry handle, the DD A1.5, and the new scalar works. But those are fixed, not folding.

Comment

• pinzgauer
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

looking thru those red dots and the way the severely limit the field of view I still say for most work the issue ghost ring irons are the best and with a little practice can be used with both eyes open
              I think the pics are a bit misleading. FOV on my aimpoint and the Eotechs I've used was better.

Lately I've been shooting both eyes open, mainly due to an dominant eye problem hopefully soon to be fixed.

On hunting bolt actions, never worried about irons, though my main go to still has them. But I'd have to remove the scope.

On ARs except bench guns I want them.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Red dots with 0 magnification are parallax free. You don't 'look through' them with one eye closed, you use them with both eyes open. They are faster than iron sights because you only line up two things; the dot with the target. With iron sights you have to line up three things; your eye, rearsight/foresight, and the target.

Comment

• SPQR 70AD
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2017

Red dots with 0 magnification are parallax free. You don't 'look through' them with one eye closed, you use them with both eyes open. They are faster than iron sights because you only line up two things; the dot with the target. With iron sights you have to line up three things; your eye, rearsight/foresight, and the target.
                  I understand that. what I mean if you look at his pics of the aim point a man could fit on either side of the sight and you would not see him. they had a speed test in the web site rifle shooter with shotguns. one had ghost ring sights the other a red dot. the ghost ring edged out the red dot by very little
                  Last edited by SPQR 70AD; 12-02-2017, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

I understand that. what I mean if you look at his pics of the aim point a man could fit on either side of the sight and you would not see him. they had a speed test in the web site rifle shooter with shotguns. one had ghost ring sights the other a red dot. the ghost ring edged out the red dot by very little
                    Looking at a picture is like having one eye closed. Think of the pic as only having your dominant eye open. When you open your other eye, it sees around the housing.
                    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Shoot both eyes open. Pistol, rifle, Shotgun...keep them both open. One less brain function to free up trying to keep one eye closed.
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

You are looking at the field of view of a photograph. The photograph represents only a fraction of what you would see if aiming a firearm with a red dot at a target. The human eye sees up and down left and right limited by the brow, the lower cheek and the shape of the eyeball for left and right. Like this;

If you are nervous then you go into what's called ocular occlusion where you only process, or perceive the reflected light that falls on the fovea in the middle. It's popularly called 'tunnel vision'. The threat is identified and the body 'attends' (moves so the senses are in the best position to process the threat). In a shooting scenario we turn to face the threat so we look directly at it. If we are of the mind to ignore everything else it is called, 'target fixation'. Humans are predators so the ability to judge distance to target is important and this happens using stereoscopic vision. Unlike typical prey animals who have evolved to have eyes on the sides of their heads to detect threats almost 360 degrees we have evolved to have less field of view but with 114degrees of stereoscopic overlap to the front. That 114degrees is then narrowed even further by the brain as it processes the immediate threat only. This is why combatants are taught the dogma of looking left and right after discharging their firearm so as to force them to take in their surroundings, this given we are tempted to target fixate when stressed. If a person is battle-experienced and sharp this tunnel vision will not be as severe as ultra-nervous types.

My point is, forget the photo as it's not what your eyes see. And what your eyes see in a gunfight depends on how acculturated to stress and violence you are, and how you react when stressed. Regardless, if there was a man standing either side of that Aimpoint you would see them. If they were standing further apart, say 90 degrees left and right it would depend on a few things, including how close they were to you, what they were wearing, whether they were moving and how comfortable you are in chaos.
                        Last edited by Klem; 12-03-2017, 02:23 AM.

Comment

• Sticks
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2016

FWIW - When you are hunting, and that tag you want filled finally comes popping into view, you go into the same mode described above.
                          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• SPQR 70AD
                            Unwashed
                            • Dec 2017

You are looking at the field of view of a photograph. The photograph represents only a fraction of what you would see if aiming a firearm with a red dot at a target. The human eye sees up and down left and right limited by the brow, the lower cheek and the shape of the eyeball for left and right. Like this;
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]10320[/ATTACH]

If you are nervous then you go into what's called ocular occlusion where you only process, or perceive the reflected light that falls on the fovea in the middle. It's popularly called 'tunnel vision'. The threat is identified and the body 'attends' (moves so the senses are in the best position to process the threat). In a shooting scenario we turn to face the threat so we look directly at it. If we are of the mind to ignore everything else it is called, 'target fixation'. Humans are predators so the ability to judge distance to target is important and this happens using stereoscopic vision. Unlike typical prey animals who have evolved to have eyes on the sides of their heads to detect threats almost 360 degrees we have evolved to have less field of view but with 114degrees of stereoscopic overlap to the front. That 114degrees is then narrowed even further by the brain as it processes the immediate threat only. This is why combatants are taught the dogma of looking left and right after discharging their firearm so as to force them to take in their surroundings, this given we are tempted to target fixate when stressed. If a person is battle-experienced and sharp this tunnel vision will not be as severe as ultra-nervous types.

My point is, forget the photo as it's not what your eyes see. And what your eyes see in a gunfight depends on how acculturated to stress and violence you are, and how you react when stressed. Regardless, if there was a man standing either side of that Aimpoint you would see them. If they were standing further apart, say 90 degrees left and right it would depend on a few things, including how close they were to you, what they were wearing, whether they were moving and how comfortable you are in chaos.
                            I have shot hundreds of round with different holo sites and many types of red dots so I am not going by the pics I just used them to make a point. other guys can do as they please but for me with a ghost ring I can see everything and on a man size torso up to maybe 40 yds when I shoulder the rifle I do not need to line up 3 things. I just put the front site on the torso while rifle is in my shoulder

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

It is not quite so simple with everyone.

A common problem in shotgun shooting with both eyes open is putting the front sight on the target, as seen with your left eye, and missing badly.

This is for a right handed shooter. Missing could be done quite nicely by a left handed shooter in the opposite way.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                                Warrior
                                • Nov 2017

I saw these on the shelf at my buddies shop in Spokane yesterday. I asked him how they were holding up. He said that they have installed them on a number of guns so far including a full auto 45ACP. I guess that the 45ACP is a real shaker and mover when in full auto. He says that it hurts his hand to shoot it. But the sights are still holding up. They stay put (either up or down) and they are still sighted in. Mind you, he doesn't really use the sights when doing a full auto mag dump... These are made out of steel instead of aluminum so that could be helping them. I may try a set out, just to see for myself.

Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

Working...
                                X