• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 41bear
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

The rush to short barrel Grendels

A salute to our own BluntForceTrauma for leading the way to getting barrel makers realize that short barrel Grendels are a viable product for them.

I just received an email from Odin Works that they too now offer a 12" 6.5 Grendel barrel, along with Faxon's new offering (in 5R) adding to BA's 12 1/2" gives us 3 barrel makers stepping up to our plate with quality low priced product. Of course we lucky few get to tap into the group buy thanks to BFT.

My hat is off to you Sir, you have my utmost respect and thanks.
    "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town
  • zcostilla
    Warrior
    • Aug 2017

Not trying to be controversial or start a flame war or cartridge contest, especially as a new guy to the forum. So with all due respect I ask what value is there in a short-barreled Grendel? The wasted powder and lost velocity would seem to me to negate the benefits of the cartridge design. Don’t get me wrong, to each his own, and I’m not calling your wrong for buying one, but I’ve been of the mindset of use the best tool for the purpose, so if I needed an SBR then I’d consider a 300 Blackout or something in a pistol cartridge, or move to a 16” gun and train to make it work. I just don’t see the Grendel as the best tool for the job in an SBR build. That said, I do hope you enjoy any rifle you build/buy. I am a firm believer in the right to pursue happiness.
    -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Zac,
      Most of the users I read about here (I do not have one) use them suppressed.
      A 12-12.5" grendel suppressed has effective hunting ranges out to ~300 yd and still have knock-down/penetration/expansion, according to the data in the Grendel Handbooks. A 10.5" barrel can reach to about 260 yds and still have 1800 ft/sec velocity.
      The guys more experienced with these might weigh in, but seems to me that would be a nice quiet woods-huntin' package... reach out 'n' touch some deers, so to speak.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• burnsy13
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2017

There's more energy in the 6.5G out of a short barrel than any other viable cartridge in the AR15 platform out there. There's no real reason not to get one short barrel upper. Small package with a nasty punch. I have a 5.56 12.5" SBR, I'll do the same for the Grendel. Smaller rifles are handy.

Plus, as grayfox said, it isn't overly cumbersome when you suppress it. Every firearm I own is suppressed, the pistols are the only ones that have to share, all long guns have their own dedicated suppressor.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by zcostilla View Post
          Not trying to be controversial or start a flame war or cartridge contest, especially as a new guy to the forum. So with all due respect I ask what value is there in a short-barreled Grendel? The wasted powder and lost velocity would seem to me to negate the benefits of the cartridge design. Don’t get me wrong, to each his own, and I’m not calling your wrong for buying one, but I’ve been of the mindset of use the best tool for the purpose, so if I needed an SBR then I’d consider a 300 Blackout or something in a pistol cartridge, or move to a 16” gun and train to make it work. I just don’t see the Grendel as the best tool for the job in an SBR build. That said, I do hope you enjoy any rifle you build/buy. I am a firm believer in the right to pursue happiness.
          Powder is burned within the first inch or two of the barrel near the chamber, unless you're using a really poor choice for subsonic without full conversion.

6.5 Grendel is the cartridge to beat for SBRs and pistols.

With 123gr, you're anywhere around 2280-2350fps with factory ammo from an 11.5", 12", or 12.5" Grendel.

Guess what an AK's 16.3" muzzle velocity is with a 123gr? 2290-2360fps

Even the 10.5" Grendel smokes the AK, both shooting the exact same bullet weight, same basic case size/length.

The AK goes subsonic around 500yds. The 10.5" Grendel is still supersonic at least to 800yds.

For common hunting ranges, you have more impact speed, more retained energy, less drift.

Reason is one shoots 123gr with anywhere from .462 to .527 G1 BCs, the other is in the .240-.266 region.

A 10.5" Grendel has more energy at the muzzle than a 20" .223 Rem.

The big benefits to going 6.5 Grendel in an SBR or pistol are compactness with more energy, and room to suppress without exceeding the length of a typical carbine.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• howl
            Warrior
            • Nov 2015

That's a good question. I assumed it was for use with suppressors or some tactical ideal. If you're coming from 30/06 deer hunting land, the Grendel seems like bowhunting. If you're from 5.56 land, the Grendel seems like a lot more.

Comment

• zcostilla
              Warrior
              • Aug 2017

I’m willing to say I stand corrected. I knew one of the reasons the Grendel was so great is its powder efficiency, it I didn’t realize it is THAT efficient. I’m building my Grendel as my one size fits all for small/medium game up to 400 yards (600 for varmint shots). But I wouldn’t have thought to give it the nod over the 6.8SPC or the 300 BLK for a dedicated short range system. And while I personally wouldn’t give up the velocity of the 8.5” of barrel lost because of what the velocity means for terminal ballistics, I can easily see why someone else would prefer to do just that.

Zac
              Last edited by zcostilla; 11-25-2017, 04:08 PM.
              -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                Warrior
                • Nov 2017

I use the Grendel for hunting and just shot my first deer with it. My intention was a 0-250 yard rifle for bear and deer in WA state. Not so much energy that I blew up the meat at close range, but still enough to get the job done at 250 yards. I went with the Grendel because it is so efficient. It doesn't have to be a "magnum" to still have good ballistics down range. The 18" Grendel that I built turned out to more than fit the bill. I took the deer at 230 yards at dusk while he was bedded down. It's actually about a 500 yard deer and bear gun. I really like it and plan on keeping it, but am still looking for something smaller.

So in my effort to make my 250 yard deer gun more compact, my AR pistol is getting an upgrade to 12.5" Grendel. This should be much more useful than the 7.5 inch 300blk that is currently on it and have no issues reaching out to 250 yards.

300blk.jpg

65 grendel buck.jpg
                Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Texas
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2016

I am in Texas and the 12 inch Grendel is very handy while in the pickup for pigs. trying to handle a full size inside a standard cab is a bit cumbersome, The 12 inch pistol sits muzzle down on the console and is very quick to get out the window and is very effective on pigs out to 300 yards. If I am hunting pigs, I generally take the 20 inch for distance.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2013

Don’t forget precision firearms offers short barrel Grendel’s too.

You are welcome Mark
                    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Bigs28
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2016

Mark is going to make my next one for sure. Hope you order early next year

Comment

• FOGII
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2016

Comment

• kansas
                          Bloodstained
                          • Nov 2017

... There's more energy in the 6.5G out of a short barrel than any other viable cartridge in the AR15 platform out there ...
                          Very interesting ... I would not have guessed that ... I could've written most of Zac words ... I guess I'd better run some numbers!! I think of grendel as the "distance" option ... and thought the .300BO was the "entry gun" and 6.8 was the short distance hunting gun ... so much for stereo types ... will run some numbers !!!

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by kansas View Post
                            Very interesting ... I would not have guessed that ... I could've written most of Zac words ... I guess I'd better run some numbers!! I think of grendel as the "distance" option ... and thought the .300BO was the "entry gun" and 6.8 was the short distance hunting gun ... so much for stereo types ... will run some numbers !!!
                            No 5.56 as an entry AR15?
                            300BLK as a dual suppressed and medium hunting.
                            With the 6.5 Grendel I don't really see a place for the 6.8 unless you already have one.

Comment

• kansas
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2017

... No 5.56 as an entry AR15? ...
                              Oh yeah, I actually hunt mostly with a stoner 5.56(10.3) ...

use 77gr for most critters, but 62gr TSX for hogs ... but never thought to try sbr upper with grendel cartridge ... so want to run numbers and see what it looks like.

Comment

Working...
                              X