• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cleric
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

123 sst- first deer

So I bought one of the larue 18in a few months back. Was using 123 factory ammo and shot my first deer with it, maybe a 110 yard shot. The bullet entered the left side of the lungs and stopped on the right side near shoulder joint. It did a fair amount of damage but did not exit. The buck walked maybe 20 yards and died but there was no blood due to bullet not exiting.

Not sure what I think of the performance. Did the bullet not exit just because of the joint or do The sst not usually exit?
  • 1075 tech
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

I shot two doe last year using factory SST from a 16" Alexander Arms barrel. Maybe 20 yard shots. One was a head on shot entering the chest. The other was broadside on a small doe. Neither bullet exited. Both fragmented and caused extensive damage.

This year, I used the Federal Fusion 120 load in nearly the same scenario. I got complete pass through, blood trail, and a lot less damage.

Comment

• Redomen
      Warrior
      • Jun 2016

If it didn’t exit that means all of the energy was transferred. That is a good thing in my book. I have shot several hogs and deer with the factory 123 SST. Most have dropped in their tracks. I have noticed on ones that run 10 yards or so that there is not a lot of blood depending on shot placement. I shoot for the lungs so I don’t ruin the meat.

Comment

• fdbyrne78
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2017

I shot a decent sized buck this year from 165 yards. My SST not only exited but broke the far-side leg on the way out and left a very good blood trail for the 20 yards or so that he traveled after the shot.

Comment

• howl
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

Sounds about normal considering what others have reported. I don't really understand why Hornady made them so fragile. Usually the SSTs are a little sturdier than Ballistic Tips. The Grendel version seems less so.

It seems like short range integrity was sacrificed for long range reliability. Thing is, most deer hunters kill deer at shorter ranges. And most want an exit for the blood trail. I'm guessing they got most of their input from people not representing average deer hunters.

Comment

• Troutguide
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

Not sure what it does at longer range but I shot two deer with factory 123sst at 45 and 15 yds and both were complete pass throughs. One only hit ribs in and out but the other hit onside shoulder/leg joint, ribs in and out, and exited through off side leg muscle. No tracking needed but there was plenty of blood on the ground.
            "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• jpdaniel
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2017

I also shot a buck with the factory SST out of my 18” Grendel at about 65 yds. It hit a rib going in & “Grenaded” no exit, no blood. He piled up 40 yds away. My fear is if that was a shoulder bone what would have happened?? I’ll be switching to the Barnes 100 gr TTSX for next year. I prefer 2 holes & the ability to punch through bone.

Comment

• Jakal
                Warrior
                • May 2014

My buddy and I both hit does about 150 yards away. He was using factory 123 SST loads and I was using 123 SST handloads. We both got pencil-sized holes both in and out. Very little blood and hard to track. We may be switching out to a different load. We both hit rib going in. The Nosler 129 ABLR seems to be the bullet I will stick with. I have a load with the Barnes 100 TTSX for coyotes, may have to develop a deer load with the Barnes also.
                ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• Ed Baker
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2016

Shot a small Georgia buck (130 lbs) with a factory 123 SST from 171 yards. The bullet entered the right front shoulder, clipped the top of the heart and exited on the off side at the base of the ribs. Deer ran about 20 yards and flopped. Shot a doe at 50-60 yards in heart/lung area left side and she ran about 50 yards in to the woods. When I entered the woods, blood trail was easy to locate with a flashlight. Recovered the deer within 5 minutes. Next shot will be a broadside shoulder shot to study the effect of the 123 SST.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Jakal View Post
                    My buddy and I both hit does about 150 yards away. He was using factory 123 SST loads and I was using 123 SST handloads. We both got pencil-sized holes both in and out. Very little blood and hard to track. We may be switching out to a different load. We both hit rib going in. The Nosler 129 ABLR seems to be the bullet I will stick with. I have a load with the Barnes 100 TTSX for coyotes, may have to develop a deer load with the Barnes also.
                    100gr TTSX is plenty for deer and hogs. You will get pass throughs with every shot other than frontal or TX heart shots. You get anywhere from 25-36" of penetration with that bullet, 99% weight retention most of the time.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• xlcc
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      100gr TTSX is plenty for deer and hogs. You will get pass throughs with every shot other than frontal or TX heart shots. You get anywhere from 25-36" of penetration with that bullet, 99% weight retention most of the time.
                      That sounds like a good hunting bullet for the larger deer or elk,caribou or even a carefully placed shot on moose with that kind of penetration and weight retention.

Comment

• Lightning8
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2015

I shot an Antelope two years ago with my Grendel and the 123SST at 200+ yards - no exit. Antelope just stood there - basically dead on its feet. No blood outside but whole chest cavity was full of blood. I will try something else if I hunt with the Grendel again.

Comment

• Jakal
                          Warrior
                          • May 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          I use the 300 grain Barnes TTSX and H110 out of my 458 Socom. They petal out eveytime and I've only seen a couple of petals broken off when hitting something really hard like rock or concrete. They put a nice wound channel in things.

Sounds like different experiences by shooters with the SST.
                          ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• rickt300
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

Seems to kill things pretty well though.

Comment

Working...
                            X