Clear All
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Hunting hogs using artificial light and or flashlight

• Randy99CL
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

I saw a video a few months ago that had a green light that you'd attach to a pole or tree over the feeder. It automatically came on at dusk and got progressively brighter as night went on. Supposedly animals don't notice it.
    I thought it was cool as hell. I'll try to find the video.

I don't recognize the actual video I watched before but there are a ton of them! https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...light+hog+hunt
    Last edited by Randy99CL; 11-27-2017, 01:43 AM.
    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Redomen
      Warrior
      • Jun 2016

I use a 60 LED flood light that is solar powered and motion activated. Harbor Freight sells them for $30. The hogs get used to them and they work great. I also use a green kill light that is attached to my rifle. I turn it on while pointing at the sky and slowly bring it down on the hog. Some will spook and some will not. Takes a bit of practice but it works well also.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

If I was still in your position, I would go with a double system. I would hang a feeder light and have a light on my rifle. The feeder light will allow you to shoot hogs under the feeder and the light on your rifle will ideally allow you to pick up runners or fire followup shots on a hog that moves outside of the feeder light perimeter. Basically, you activate the rifle light as soon as you fire.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
          Tree stand is about 30 to 40 yds from feeder.
          Hogs are not showing up very often during day light and I don’t get permission from the land owner that often. Trying to be successful with my limited opportunity’s.

Are hogs sensitive to some sort of battery operated lantern or spot light?
          Is there a way of attaching a flash light to the swivel stud of my MBT LSS chassis?

Thanks

Here's an alternate suggestion...

30-40 yards is extremely close. At that range you could use an ambush light from the hide. Something that is all spill (as opposed to throw) so you would not need anything on the gun.

I'm thinking a 4wd/SUV light bar to light up the area. At 40yards you will have an inkling an animal is there but won't be able to ID it and use your reticle. With sudden white light you will have a moment to take the shot, if ready, before they run. Something portable that you can backpack in along with a light-weight Li-ion power source. Or if you had vehicle access during the day you can drop off an old car battery at the hide and come back later.

Something like this;

A 12volt 20" 125W dual light bar for $42 on Fleabay. 36 laptop batteries in a waterproof Otterbox. The battery size is overkill as it will keep that light bar on for two hours straight. You only need it on for a few minutes. A few seconds to ID and shoot, and a few more minutes to do your post-shoot admin.

If the target is further away you could put the light out during the day at the feeder and use a weatherproof on/off remote. Long range battery operated remotes come in different ranges up to (manufacturer stated) 2km. I know this one works out to 400 meters which is the furthest I have used it. You would need to have an idea the hogs are at the feeder in the dark to turn it on. The downside is the whole area will be spooked for probably the whole evening regardless if you get a good shot or not.

Comment

• rabiddawg
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2013

The burris pepr mount came with two sets of scope ring caps. I installed the set that has the picatinny rail on top. I had an old set of 30mm rings that just fit the tube on my streamlight stinger. Just before dark I attach the light to the ring cap and I light up their world.
            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• lrgrendel
              Warrior
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Klem View Post
              Here's an alternate suggestion...

30-40 yards is extremely close. At that range you could use an ambush light from the hide. Something that is all spill (as opposed to throw) so you would not need anything on the gun.

I'm thinking a 4wd/SUV light bar to light up the area. At 40yards you will have an inkling an animal is there but won't be able to ID it and use your reticle. With sudden white light you will have a moment to take the shot, if ready, before they run. Something portable that you can backpack in along with a light-weight Li-ion power source. Or if you had vehicle access during the day you can drop off an old car battery at the hide and come back later.

Something like this;
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]10276[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]10277[/ATTACH]

A 12volt 20" 125W dual light bar for $42 on Fleabay. 36 laptop batteries in a waterproof Otterbox. The battery size is overkill as it will keep that light bar on for two hours straight. You only need it on for a few minutes. A few seconds to ID and shoot, and a few more minutes to do your post-shoot admin.

If the target is further away you could put the light out during the day at the feeder and use a weatherproof on/off remote. Long range battery operated remotes come in different ranges up to (manufacturer stated) 2km. I know this one works out to 400 meters which is the furthest I have used it. You would need to have an idea the hogs are at the feeder in the dark to turn it on. The downside is the whole area will be spooked for probably the whole evening regardless if you get a good shot or not.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10278[/ATTACH]
              I think I like this idea the most. Thanks for the detailed description.
              I think I have seen lights similar in my local Harborfreight!

This is a very wooded location with lots of trees so this might work best.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                Warrior
                • Jul 2013

So going out tomorrow afternoon/night. Cold for Central Florida right now so we will see if anything shows up.
                Put this together with spare parts. Made my own green filter from my kids school folder!!

Bit crude I know.....but it should work.20180101_183725-696x1237.jpg

Comment

• Bill257
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2015

Depending on cloud cover and area you are hunting (wooded or field) the amount of light you need could be surprisingly low with the full moon. Having a another layer of green lens cover in your pack will add or remove layers of lens filters to adjust the amount of light to suit the conditions. Back in the day we used red cellophane from the flower shop to tame the light!
                  Good luck

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
                    I saw a video a few months ago that had a green light that you'd attach to a pole or tree over the feeder. It automatically came on at dusk and got progressively brighter as night went on. Supposedly animals don't notice it.
                    Folks selling you on the point that the animals don't notice the light are selling you a lie. They assume that if an animal doesn't react in a certain way to a stimulus, that the animal must be incapable of sensing the stimulus. When it comes to things like lights, that is just plain wrong. These claims get made and it drives me nuts. The animals are not blind. They may not have the ability to differentiate red from green, but they can most definitely tell that there is light and that the illumination is getting brighter. The only question is whether or not it will bother them.

Case and point, I used to use a white led motion detector-activated light. A lot of animals didn't react to it. Would you think they could not see the light?

The lights being sold will work well enough. There can be some cheaper alternatives. You will be able to hunt from your stand and make your kills, but don't believe the hype that the light is invisible or can't be seen by the deer/hogs/coyotes/etc.
                    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

Working...
                    X