Anyone have experience with a linear compensator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zcostilla
    Warrior
    • Aug 2017

Anyone have experience with a linear compensator?

So having found a Cyber Monday offer I couldn’t refuse (BCA 18” for $59.50, technically a Black Friday deal that wouldn’t go through, and they honored the price), I’m now looking for something to put on the business end. Had I ordered custom, or found a 24”, I’d had it set at 20” with a non-threaded target crown. As it is, I’m looking at a linear compensator. Not sold on it yet, but really liking the idea. And if I do go that route, I’ve not settled on a brand. But the one linked below is very intriguing.

Glock Slides, Glock triggers, Shrouds for AR 15, Saiga 12, Smith & Wesson 15 /22 and many others. All Kineti-tech barrel shrouds are mil spec anodized. Our Saiga and AR 15 shrouds are the most sought after barrels shrouds on the market.

I’d love to hear your thoughts.
    -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.
  • joedirt199
    Warrior
    • Jul 2015

Those are more or less a blast shield for the comp. I have a kaw valley .308 linear comp on my hunting rig as I don't wear electronic hearing protection while hunting. Haven't shot it yet without protection but the idea is to direct more sound away from the shooter to reduce the concussion of a side venting brake.

Comment

• Six5x39
      Warrior
      • Sep 2017

I cant say the difference between no muzzle = linear comp . currently run kaw valley as well on my 300blk , 6.5G and it works out in field without hearing protection . but it did add bit of muzzle rise .

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

I run a Kaw valley linear comp on my 300 BLK. Definitely sends quite a bit of noise down range. That carbine has a 1x vortex venom on it so muzzle rise isn't an issue, but I was paying attention to how much it moved last time I shot it and it seemed as if the red dot jumped about a foot or 2 at 200 yards.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I'm a tite wad and on a budget barrel I'd use a thread protector or A-2 Flash Hider. I just ordered a 30 caliber (5/8X24) A-2 flash hider from Brownell's for $7.62 and $2.10 for a crush washer with my LE/Mil discount. The free shipping sure helps on smaller orders where I was ordering the last few parts I need for a build.

I have only shot a couple of rifles with Linear Compensator and I didn't think any of them were hearing safe. I always use electronic ear muffs, foam ear plugs or both. One 5.56/223 AR-15 I shot had a PVS 14 and a Linear comp, the flash wiped out the view of the night vision with generic 55 grain FMJ. Linear comp had a pretty good flash signature in low light. I realize these are not designed to be flah hiders. I was just surprised by the amount of flash between the Linear Comp on a 16" AR and my 16" AR with A-2 FH.
          Last edited by VASCAR2; 11-28-2017, 04:21 AM.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

That combination side/linear arrangement is more about trying to have your cake and eat it too. But the cost is the bulk on the end of your rifle.

I have used the Troy Claymore on a 5.56 and there's definitely a difference in sound and blast, especially for anyone standing next to you. I becomes noticeable to the firer when shooting under a roof. Doesn't do much for the recoil however so it's all about directing the blast forward. Wouldn't think you'd get much benefit from using it on a barrel as long as your - I'm thinking SBR's only. No linear will ever be ear-safe.

Comment

• pinetreebbs
              Warrior
              • Nov 2013

I have the Kaw Valley Precision installed on my Grendel AR. I cannot tell you it does much of anything very different from the Birdcage for the shooter. For anyone near the shooter it is much better. I had my shooting buddy fire the rifle and the blast does go forward. There is less blast and noise for those on either side of the shooter.

Rant Warning On
              I must say after shooting many rounds through my litttle Howa bolt action 6.5 Grendel with a plain barrel I think the advantages of a muzzle brake are minimal at best and mainly useful for run and gun competition. Most them are far more effective at annoying fellow shooters than doing anything useful for the shooter.
              Rant Warning Off

Comment

• zcostilla
                Warrior
                • Aug 2017

Originally posted by pinetreebbs View Post
                I have the Kaw Valley Precision installed on my Grendel AR. I cannot tell you it does much of anything very different from the Birdcage for the shooter. For anyone near the shooter it is much better. I had my shooting buddy fire the rifle and the blast does go forward. There is less blast and noise for those on either side of the shooter.

Rant Warning On
                I must say after shooting many rounds through my litttle Howa bolt action 6.5 Grendel with a plain barrel I think the advantages of a muzzle brake are minimal at best and mainly useful for run and gun competition. Most them are far more effective at annoying fellow shooters than doing anything useful for the shooter.
                Rant Warning Off
                I agree with you about compensators in general. In the end I think I'll just use a thread protrector full-time.
                -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

Working...
                X