• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDguy
    Warrior
    • Oct 2015

1st Coyote W the 6.5 Grendel

Had my 7 year old son out deer hunting this weekend. Been stressing the 1st two of the three R's at home more than hunting and deer hunting has not done so well this year. Waterfowl migration has been running later than average this year making wildlife observation out deer hunting better than usual despite a relatively poor deer season. Last day out we were walking some public ground when the geese started to leave the lake so we took some cover near a frozen water channel in an marsh, to just watch the geese.

We had not much more than taken cover when a coyote pops out on the frozen channel 250 yards away or so. Made my son aware of this & had him hold quiet & asked him to watch carefully. Started to offer a few mouth lip squeaks & low and behold the coyote came in on a string. Whispered to the little guy to cover his ears & a few seconds later took the shot at a little less than 50 yards. Coyote never twitched just went to sleep. from the 1st lip squeak to the shot couldn't have been more than 90 seconds.

Sorry to say my son was holding cover a little to well and never seen the coyote until well after the shot. Still first called Coyote I successfully called in and was able to share a fair share of the experience with my son, priceless.

Was sorry again to discover the Ice on the channel was a little less than a half inch thick & was not able to retrieve the coyote for safety reasons. Grrr

Near as I could tell the 129 grain Hornady SP may have been fairly Fur friendly.
  • 204 AR
    Warrior
    • Sep 2015

Awesome job! Amazed there is ice somewhere in North America, it's been ridiculously warm in western NE.

Comment

• SDguy
      Warrior
      • Oct 2015

I have heard stories of guys at the sporting goods store who were purchasing bait for ice fishing recently. On a normal year this would not be uncommon around here. Been uncharacteristically warm here for a couple weeks or so. My gut tells me these folks were open water fishing in a river channel as opposed to ice fishing.

Comment

• rickt300
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

A real sleeper of a coyote call is the little bulb squeakers that come out of dog toys. I try to carry one in a pocket whenever I am out with a rifle. Works great on coons too.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Good job!
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• SDguy
            Warrior
            • Oct 2015

Originally posted by rickt300 View Post
            A real sleeper of a coyote call is the little bulb squeakers that come out of dog toys. I try to carry one in a pocket whenever I am out with a rifle. Works great on coons too.
            Thank you all.

Been enticing gofers, Stripe's & Richardson ground squirrels for years with similar lip squeaks & as long as this works Ill keep at it. The ability to change things up seemed to only further peak the intrest of critters big & small. Big beliver in the KISS guideline & keeping track of calls has never worked well for me.

Comment

• just_john
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2012

sdguy - he may not have seen the coyote, but he built a lifelong memory. They is even better!

Comment

Working...
              X