Clear All
  • Keef
    Warrior
    • Jun 2017

Bear fur rug=expensive

So I got this this bear last week.
    20171123_111403-1280x768.jpg
    More pics here.
    Because it ended up being a bear. Work was slow yesterday so i left a little early got into the stand .5hr before sunset. No deer but a big bear ended up on the dinner plate. 400+lbs. Check station said biggest head of the year by far. 60yrds, bullet perfect behind shoulder blade. Came out chest and through opposite arm

So far Ive gotten a couple quotes and its looking like 1300-1600.00 for a head on rug. Ive egg tanned a couple deer skins but Im not going to try this bear.

Right now its in the deep freeze so there is no rush while I save/decide what I want to do......
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

its been a while, something like 10-15 years, but i think i paid @ 800
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Lone Hunter
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

I would like to have a bear rug and skull. I don't think I would try tanning one myself. I bet there is a lot of work involved in it also. I've done deer but it was just the hide not the hide and head. Wish I knew how. That would look cool in the sunroom. Good luck on your decision .

Comment

• Sputnik
        Warrior
        • May 2013

My mother had a road kill bear made into a rug and I believe she paid 900-1000 to get it done. Now that she recently passed, it is my brother's duty to sell it. I am surprised at ~1600.00 to get it done as to buy one complete, depending on size, runs between 2k-3k.

Comment

• Keef
          Warrior
          • Jun 2017

After calling a few other places I found someone helpful. I really don't want a rug, I just want it soft tanned. The difference is a rug would have a formed head, foam support, with a felt backing and trim.(I didn't know this) Soft tanned is just a tanned fur with empty face/head, just planning to hang on wall or drape somewhere, not planning to walk on it anyway.

Looks like I can get it done for 500ish, which is a GO!

Comment

• kpswihart
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

You would probably prefer the formed head and felt if you are going to hang it on the wall, they look awesome.
            Last edited by kpswihart; 11-30-2017, 06:00 AM.

Comment

• tommag
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2015

Way off topic, but a funny story. My in-laws had a black bear rug. Our cocker spaniel saw it and started growling,then cautiously approached it. He sniffed it and then raised a leg and marked it. Not a little spritz, but a big drenching.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

LIKE LIKE LIKE~ This is cool Keef. Congratulations. Tease your kids on who gets it when you're gone, and make sure you lay out the expectations. HA.
                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• tracker12
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

Send it off to Moyle and Mink tannery. Can get it done for a few hundred dollars. I have a rug and a plain tanned one which I like better.
                  AR's make shooting fun again!

Comment

Working...
                  X