Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Important Mental Skill of ALL

SAFETY Consciousness:

I have no idea where you found that, but not only is it funny, but it also has an important message in it for all of us.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Ummm, Paul is that you on the piano-trumpet?

Comment

I saw this awhile back on Snipers Hide and couldn't stop laughing. I also agree that the message could not be more on point. If I was still teaching it would be on a powerpoint in the safety section.

Comment

This reminds me of a classmate of mine in Flight school. Joe did not like any kind of rules, including safety rules.
          To Joe, "off-limits" meant "lets go exploring".
          He was grounded pending a board (for going out-of-bounds) when he got jumped by three thugs at a bar downtown and put all three in the hospital. Since the bar was off-limits he was terminated from flight school and shipped overseas.
          Joe was wounded twice and went AWOL from the hospital both times to get back to his unit; then in February 1968 was the action he got the Medal of Honor for.
          Joe's record included the M-O-H, 2 Silver Stars, 6 Bronze stars, 8 purple Hearts, and countless article 15's.
          Joe was such a loose cannon, that he was forced out of the Army as soon as the war was over. It took him about 5 years to drink himself to death.

So when someone says in this context that the most important mental skill is: , I have to wonder where Joe fits.

Joe Ronnie Hooper

Born August 8, 1938
          Piedmont, South Carolina
          Died May 6, 1979 (aged 40)
          Louisville, Kentucky
          Place of burial Arlington National Cemetery
          Allegiance United States of America
          Service/branch United States Navy
          United States Army
          Years of service 1956 - 1959 (US Navy)
          1960 - 1978 (US Army)
          Rank Petty Officer 3rd Class (Navy)
          Captain (Army)
          Unit 2nd Battalion,
          501st Airborne Infantry,
          101st Airborne Division
          Battles/wars Vietnam War
          Awards Medal of Honor
          Silver Star (2)
          Bronze Star (6)
          Purple Heart (8)

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

It's been a while since I've watched this. Always makes me laugh. Thanks for posting it!
            NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

That is hilarious! Also a great story from ibgp3.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

That's an awesome vid! Glad I finally got to see it.LOL

For those on Safari browsers (or whatever other weird reason this forum doesn't display embedded vids to myself and some others):

"The Range Idiot Song (Don't Shoot)"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvAvth2sMHc
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Originally posted by ibgp3 View Post
                  This reminds me of a classmate of mine in Flight school. Joe did not like any kind of rules, including safety rules.
                  To Joe, "off-limits" meant "lets go exploring".
                  I think Joe had safety in mind through those escapades --- how else can one explain his surviving them?

The drinking may have been as much a response to boredom...

Comment

"I think Joe had safety in mind through those escapades --- how else can one explain his surviving them?"
                    Sorry, I don't think Joe ever considered safety or rules.
                    ...his survival hinged on two things:
                    1) A reasonable claim to the title of "meanest-mother-in-the-valley"
                    2) Very good luck at very special moments.

"The drinking may have been as much a response to boredom..."
                    If you are saying that after combat the rest of your life will be boring, I think Joe would have agreed.

Comment

ibgp3,

From your avatar it looks like you spent a few tours in Vietnam and some time in the Corps of Engineers. I was in a different service, but have the utmost respect for the Corps of Engineers as a whole and many of the individuals I've had the honor to work with post active duty.

With respect to Joe, we may be looking at the world through a different set of glasses. Having worked with and flown with a good double handful of folks who could almost be painted with the same picture as he was, I know that decisions are made at every point. Some of us may think the decision showed serious lack of judgement, but those who survive repeated episodes are indeed exercising a form of attention to safety that the rest of the world cannot know or understand.

The comment from the post above describes things very well:

...his survival hinged on two things:
                      1) A reasonable claim to the title of "meanest-mother-in-the-valley"
                      2) Very good luck at very special moments.

I can't claim #1, because others in my outfit have a far better claim, but we all were very good at #2.

I also learned that someone, somewhere, always had bigger challenges than I did, even though I was doing stuff that other folks thought was crazy, stupid, and fantastic. Joe was one of these from the sound of the description.

I do know from that personal experience what others may think is crazy or stupid is truly well thought-out, even if the thought process is completed in milliseconds.
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2012, 05:34 AM.

Comment

We can't really know what is inside another man's head,...but...
                        I think you are projecting your good judgement on to Joe.
                        Joe was reckless.
                        In the action for which he was awarded the medal of honor:
                        he was AWOL from the hospital with previous wounds
                        he was wounded seven times and would not leave the field until he passed out from a loss of blood.
                        I don't say this as any kind of criticism, Joe truly disregarded his own safety.
                        "They didn't finish me off so I kept fighting"

By the way, I apologize for introducing Joe to this thread.
                        I first read it as the most important mental skill for the use of firearms.

Safety first on any range.

Comment

• Harvest123

I am goiong to use it with my kids!

Comment

haha. Hilarious lyrics..

Comment

Working...
                            X