• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by bfk4lyfe View Post
    Yeah, terrible results. I took the scope/mount off and put it on another rifle and shot half inch groups, so I know its not me or the scope, just a bad load.
    I would still check for something loose... could be the mount was loose when on the rifle, or idk something... stock wiggle, bipod leg-loose fastener (been there done that one)... maybe ask a buddy to shoot a few...
    when you say 3” groups what’s their shape? Round, horizontal but mostly flat, verticals, ? No offense but any shooter factors you can evaluate?
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• bfk4lyfe
      Bloodstained
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
      I would still check for something loose... could be the mount was loose when on the rifle, or idk something... stock wiggle, bipod leg-loose fastener (been there done that one)... maybe ask a buddy to shoot a few...
      when you say 3” groups what’s their shape? Round, horizontal but mostly flat, verticals, ? No offense but any shooter factors you can evaluate?
      A fair assumption but I also shot some factory Hornady Black as a control and it shot normal. I'm giving up on these and moving onto something else for now.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Right, could be... some rifles just "don't like" some bullets.
        I have some regular 107 smk's but haven't tried the tmk's... don't see a need to when I have several others that shoot well and keep me occupied...
        I do like it when a barrel shoots at least one factory load well, so if I don't have my hand loads for whatever reason I can still feel like I can hit something out there...!! My 16"-er faxon shoots the Hdy black well enough, and is even better on handloads... so it's fast becoming my Grrr of choice! Even does the MSR fusion ~1" give or take...
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
          Warrior
          • Jan 2014

I finally made it to the range today, I'll take what I got and shoot up these 400 remaining bullets over the next few years.

All loads were TAC powder, increments of .3 grains 29.3 thru 30.5 with CCI 450 magnum primers in brand new brass. I treated the necks with a Sinclair neck turning mandrel and sat the bullets with the Wilson chamber bullet seater. These were seated to magazine length. I will play with seating depth but I don't expect a wide variance because the only direction I can go is shorter (more jump).

No velocity readings, the chronograph didn't work out for me this year.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
            Warrior
            • Jan 2014

The brass looks good no swipes or signs of pressure, all shots were with a suppressor on my 20" Grendel barrel

At the end of the range session, I shot a 5 shot group with factory 123 grain Hornady Black ELD-Match - it put the Sierra TMKs to shame

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

Frustrating.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Insofar as accuracy is a matter of individual barrel harmonics, I wouldn't take any handloading results as definitive.

What I gain from others' handload data is not accuracy data (not even considering shooter skill and build quality), but safe loads for similar chambers and a general idea of velocity expectations.

Beyond that, my barrel may not — for its own particular reasons — like certain bullet and powder combinations. Yours just might like them. This is where handloading really does tailor the load to the barrel.

Bottom line: I'm not ready to say that because one guy's barrel didn't like a particular load with a particular bullet, that the bullet in question is inherently inaccurate.

I could be wrong, but I'm willing to give a company with Sierra's reputation the benefit of the doubt.
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2014

Ordinarily your approach/thoughts will serve you well in fact I agree in total.

But

This bullet sits way too far off the lands in my opinion so Sierra in my opinion is making it more complex than it needs to be.

Read some of the reviews on the non-tipped 107grain bullet and Grendel, our small testing results seem to mirror other folks results for this particular bullet.

Comment

• CVCOBRA1
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by bfk4lyfe View Post
                    Little mora data:

Once fired Hornady, Remington 7.5 primers, 8208XBR, 2.258", 65 degrees

29.2: 2638, sd 15.8
                    29.4: 2655, sd 9.8
                    29.6: 2673, sd 9.3

All 3" "groups"...will play with seat depth now at 29.4 I guess?

Brass:
                    By the looks of that pic, some of those primers look cratered. Not so much from hot loads but might be a funky bolt face. Firing pin hole could be too large so you might want to check some of your other brass or even switch bolts if you have an extra. Not saying you have one but some of these cheaper bolts might not hold the tolerances that they should.
                    This is all a renewed agenda for me. I haven't pulled the handle on a press since the early nineties but had twenty years of experience before that.

Comment

• ricsmall
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

If someone wants to sell a box or even a half box I’ll get some data in a bolt gun. I can load them out long in it and it’s a proven shooter with light pills.
                      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• bfk4lyfe
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by CVCOBRA1 View Post
                        By the looks of that pic, some of those primers look cratered. Not so much from hot loads but might be a funky bolt face. Firing pin hole could be too large so you might want to check some of your other brass or even switch bolts if you have an extra. Not saying you have one but some of these cheaper bolts might not hold the tolerances that they should.
                        This is all a renewed agenda for me. I haven't pulled the handle on a press since the early nineties but had twenty years of experience before that.
                        Hmm it's a Larue bolt Ill have to take it apart and take a look. I don't have any other non prepped brass left so nothing to compare right now.

I also don't think this bullet is garbage, just wasn't working for me with the one powder I tried. I have no doubt there's a combo that would work well.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

There might be an issue with firing pin with your .136 bolt. Alexander Arms lengthened the bolt tail .010 to account for the difference between the bolt face depth of the .125 223/5.56 bolt and the .136 bolt face on the 6.5 Grendel. Some bolt manufactures did not lengthen the tail of the bolt and with a mil spec firing pin you can have excessive firing pin protrusion.

Brownell’s sell BCG for the 6.5 Grendel with the bolt oal of 2.80 with a shorter firing pin. If the bolt is 2.81 the bolt can use a standard firing pin.

One forum member meaured his Larue bolt at 2.80 but was supplied with a milspec length firing pin. It is possible your getting excessive firing pin protrusion which is cratering the primers.

Here is a link to the thread discussing the difference between 2.80 and 2.81 bolts. There are pictures and shows how to measure your bolt and firing pin.

The spec for firing pin protrusion on an AR-15 is .028 minimum and .036 maximum protrusion. Brownell’s sells a gauge to measure the firing pin to determine quickly if the firing pin protrusion is within spec.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 02-09-2018, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• bfk4lyfe
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jul 2017

Wow I had no idea that was a potential issue, will measure tonight.

Comment

• jason miller
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2016

I traded bfk4lyfe for the rest of his 107's to try in my Howa. I've got 2.335" of magazine length to work with, and I intend to run them faster than I would through an AR. I loaded up a couple string of velocity testers with AR Comp and 8208.

My first impression is that these things have a much bigger plastic tip than a Hornady amax or ELD, which effectively means a much bigger hollow point opening behind the tip. They'll probably be more explosive than a Hornady would be on any game animals- especially with the presumably higher impact velocity. Also, these don't touch the lands in my rifle until 2.38" or so, compared to 2.36" or so for a 123 amax. And with their loooooong boat tail, they would have hardly any shank in the case neck if they were seated anywhere near the lands. I loaded up those first ten rounds at 2.325", which is still nowhere near having a full neck's worth of shank in the case.

I was thinking maybe these could be a decent 400 yard deer bullet, but the large opening will probably make them pretty explosive on impact, and I'm not very hopeful about accuracy with not being able to get anywhere near the lands. We shall see, though. I haven't fired any of them yet. If I can get decent accuracy, I'll shoot one into milk jugs filled with water and see if they hold up at all.

Comment

• Jmccracken
                                Warrior
                                • Dec 2017

I'm going to try these bullets this Saturday. Using 8208, going to start at 28 and work my way up. Using Ruger American 22" barrel

Comment

Working...
                                X