• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Traxx
    Unwashed
    • May 2015

Hornady SST 123 Grouping

Any issues with grouping at 150yds?
    Been able to stack at 50 to get on paper along with Priv Partison and Horny SST. At 150 I am getting about 4".
    My platform is a AA overwatch with Sig Ti QD 7.62 hearing protection. Optics are a Bushy 6245 mil dot on LaRue mounts. Seekins lower and a heavy trigger. I am thinking of swapping out the lower to one with a lighter trigger but I don't think that is the issue. Already in motion to swap the optics to another Bushy.
    AA Overwatch upper, Seekins Precision lower, Optics are a bushy 6500 mil dot sitting in LaRue tac mounts, Sig SRD 7.62 TI.
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

SST is not known to be a super accurate pill in every barrel. My Barlitien hates it. Groups up there with Wolf at 1.3 MOA average, whereas 123gr ELD averages .4 for me. For an AA upper, 4 inches would be horrible even with Wolf MPA at 150.

I'd take a real close look at your upper to make sure all is good. Mounting for everything is tight (scope rings, mounts, barrel nut, gas tube is centered and the carrier is not hitting it going into battery...) Try some Hornady Black and see how it shoots. If you are still getting accuracy issues, then , and maybe have someone else shoot your rifle to see if they have the same accuracy problem.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Traxx
      Unwashed
      • May 2015

I would settle for MOA at this point. Well, I will be able to try again tomorrow with a different optic and shoot off of the bags to see if that helps.
      AA Overwatch upper, Seekins Precision lower, Optics are a bushy 6500 mil dot sitting in LaRue tac mounts, Sig SRD 7.62 TI.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Comment

• Zilla
          Unwashed
          • Nov 2015

After 2 years, I finally finished my grendel last fall. I broke the rifle in with factory amax and from what I remember, they seemed to shoot well.

In the spring I switched to factory sst and was not impressed. 2" groups at 100 yards. I thought it might be the operator, or something wrong with my rifle.

This September, I extended out to 200 yards and had many 5 round sst groups at about 4". I then shot 5 rounds of amax at 200 yards and they grouped under an inch.

My assumption is that my rifle just doesn't like the factory sst. I have a 20" Shilen barrel with the 1 in 9 twist. When I get to handloading I might the sst again.

Traxx, I would follow sticks and vascars advise and see how other ammo performs.

Comment

Working...
          X