• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jason miller
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

For sale: Howa 20" Heavy Barrel, dies, brass

I have a Howa 20" HB mini that I bought brand new last year. I bought 100 rounds of factory Hornady 123 a-max ammo for it, which has all been fired. I made sure to clean the bore regularly with a quality 1-piece rod and appropriate sized jag for break in. Since that time, 50 pieces of the brass have been loaded and fired again, with half of that 50(so 25 pieces) being fired again for their 3rd time. That brings the total round count up to 175. The hottest load I ran through the rifle was a 123 a-max at 2600 fps with AR Comp. I've also done some modifications to the rifle. These include:

First, I sanded the factory green stock and cut flutes in the comb. I would have to take it apart and weigh the stock to get you a more accurate number, but I believe I took off somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 ounces. This made the entire rifle much handier and slimmer, while not reducing the stiffness of the stock at all. I then painted the stock with textured green paint that matches the original green fairly close, followed by a layer of clear-coat and another layer of paint. I also bedded the action with Devcon before painting. This transformed the rifle, and I would never own one of these rifles again without repeating this modification.

Next, I did the trigger modification that someone linked here. Basically, it involved taking the trigger apart, cutting and filing the spring, and putting it back together. It now breaks better than the Timney on my Remington. Again, I wouldn't own one of these rifles without performing this modification.

Last, I shortened the magazine release lever to keep it from accidentally depressing, and shortened the magazine to be flush while still holding 4 rounds, as per the thread posted in this forum. And again, I wouldn't own one of these rifles again without performing these modifications.

Finally, I'll include the Hornady Custom Grade dies that I purchased new with the rifle. The brass and plastic ammo boxes it's in would be included as well.

I really, really, really like this rifle. But I also have a 5-month-old(our first) and it's the Christmas season. I could use $650 a lot more than this rifle right now.
    Last edited by jason miller; 12-05-2017, 09:13 PM.
  • jason miller
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

And if anyone wants, I'll throw in a set of Talley lightweights and a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 that I bought new at the same time as the rifle last year for another $300.

Comment

• jason miller
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

Or, for that same $300, I can include the SWFA Super Sniper 10x Mil-Quad that's currently mounted on two-piece Weavers.

Comment

• jason miller
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

I'd be happy to send pics to anyone interested.

Comment

• AppalachianGunSlinger
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2017

Id like to see pics. But cannot put out the funds right now. I am really interested in what mods you did. You make them sound like they really improved the rifle. After I do my try grendel out build and if I decide to keep I will do a dedicated LW build and would like a bolt to go with it as a companion hunter for myself and spouse. Even when traveling sometimes ARs are more difficult if I get oppertunities overseas. I hope that this is not out of line. I am sure some pictures might help you too with your sale. Sounds like you invested a lot of time and ingenuity in the rifle, seeing what you did, how you talk about it and why you have to sell it. Great thing about kids besides them being expensive, and can be pains sometimes. They eventually grow up and go out on their own hopefully.. lol but you all of the sudden have this disposable income like where did that come from!

Comment

• jason miller
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

I would have already added photos a long time ago, but I haven't had an actual computer for years and I can't upload them from my phone.

If anyone is interested in purchasing the rifle, PM me an email address or a phone number and I'll email or text some to you. Sending a text would be easiest.

Comment

• jason miller
              Warrior
              • Dec 2016

This rifle is no longer for sale.

Comment

Working...
              X