• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diaboli3
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2017

Help me pick a scope

New to Grendel and finishing up acquiring all parts for my build. I am new to scopes and would like some recommendations for picking one based on my situation.

This build will be used for hunting (mostly hogs and some deer) as well as range work. My local range only goes up to 100 yards, but I wouldn't mind being able to try to reach out to 500 yards.

The scope will be on an 18" Faxon barrel.

I've been reading a lot of posts and hear good things about Leupold and Vortex.

Also, I would like to keep the price under $400. Any input is appreciated. Thanks all.
  • jonny rotton
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

buy a primary arms 1x-8x with the acss reticle. you will love it and its under $400. i have one and two 1x-6x with the same reticle. they are awesome. you sight it in then you do everything else with the reticle. easy!!

Comment

• lrgrendel
      Warrior
      • Jul 2013

I have owned a Vortex 6 x 24 - 50 Viper PST FFP. Fantastic scope.

I recently bought a Vortex HS-T 6 x 24 - 50, This is basically the same scope as the PST but SFP and no illuminated reticle.
      If you can do without these and stretch to around $500, this would be a good buy. You can get them in MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL.

Life time warranty.

Comment

• 204 AR
        Warrior
        • Sep 2015

I've got a couple listed in the classifieds that might fit the bill. Bushnell elite Japan made.

Comment

• Six5x39
          Warrior
          • Sep 2017

for your purpose , I think somewhere around 2-10 power sounds about right fit . I went with 3-9x40mm for right under 500yards and happy so far .

Comment

• kansas
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2017

$400 is a tough one ... especially for 500yds ... inside about 400yds or for hunting a decent reflex dot sight works, use the target as your reticle.
            I use the holosun P515 and an eotech 3x magnifier ... but am looking at di optical next.

Otherwise, save up to around $1,000 and get a burris xtr2.

Comment

• SDet
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2016

2-10xtr II can be had for around $600. Save up for that.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

You don't say what type of hunting you'll be doing. Woods, open fields, mountains?

I've been looking at these Weaver Grand Slams for a while. I think the 2-8x is about perfect for hog hunting and close shots.
                They have 3 of these listed because they have different reticles. You have to go to the Weaver site for specifics because Natchez doesn't give a lot of info. Retail on these is just under $600.

"In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• howl
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2015

I think 8x is enough for 500 yards targets, but some people need to be able to pick a small point to hold on. If targets get small in the scope, I just frame them up like iron sights. Anyhow...

If this is not the made in China version, it is a solid number. A retailer ordered a bunch made to price from China after Weaver discontinued the model. SWFA should be able to tell you. https://samplelist.com/weaver-2-5-10...pe-demo-b.html

I have this scope. It gets moved around on plinking, steel shooting rifles and has been knocked around and dinged up. Solid and about VX3 glass. The reason it gets moved around is it is in a quality picatinny mount and the turrets are accurate.
                  SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by diaboli3 View Post
                    New to Grendel and finishing up acquiring all parts for my build. I am new to scopes and would like some recommendations for picking one based on my situation.

This build will be used for hunting (mostly hogs and some deer) as well as range work. My local range only goes up to 100 yards, but I wouldn't mind being able to try to reach out to 500 yards.

The scope will be on an 18" Faxon barrel.

I've been reading a lot of posts and hear good things about Leupold and Vortex.

Also, I would like to keep the price under $400. Any input is appreciated. Thanks all.

Comment

• diaboli3
                      Unwashed
                      • Jan 2017

Hunting will be primarily open fields.

I would moa up to a 100 yards. Past that I'm not sure as I don't have many ranges by me that get up that high, but I would like an optic that I won't be exchanging or selling in a year or so.

How would a Leupold VX-2 3-8x40 be for hunting hogs 20-200 yards along with some range shooting?

Thanks all for the feedback so far. I'm learning a lot!

Comment

• howl
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2015

Most people like a 3-9x just fine until they try to make a very close shot where they can't make out which part of the animal is filling the field of view. It doesn't happen often, but...

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

There are a lot of good scopes and lots of guys know more about them than I do, but here's my $0.02...
                          I've been using several Nikons with the bdc reticle, and now a Vortex 3-12x42 HD with bdc marks-I tried to sell this Vortex but kept it, and I'm glad I did.
                          The Nikon Prostaff 5's (like 4-14 or 4.5-18 etc) and the vortex's have ones that are in your budget and I think, worth considering.
                          Part of the magnification issue for a given shooter is the condition of his/her eyes, and how well they focus with age. Mine are north of 65, so...

Now of course if you can afford more $$$ then certainly go for it, for my budget these are working fine as far as I can tell.
                          I've not shot to 500 but 250-300 are well within reach for me, that's most likely my max hunting distance.
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Luvall
                            Unwashed
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by jonny rotton View Post
                            buy a primary arms 1x-8x with the acss reticle. you will love it and its under $400. i have one and two 1x-6x with the same reticle. they are awesome. you sight it in then you do everything else with the reticle. easy!!
                            I have the PA 1-6 and I love it. It fits all your needs. Totally recommend this scope

Comment

Working...
                            X