• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

SBR Optic with Stadia

I was just looking at the Vortex Strike Eagle BDC reticle.

It matches up pretty well for a 123gr AMAX 100yd zero going 2300fps from a short barrel at 4400ft elevation/27.4" barometric pressure, but limits how far you can shoot with a 100yd zero.

123gr AMAX 2300fps 4400 ft/27.4" Hg 59˚F

200 2029 1124 -5" 2.4 MOA

300 1901 987 -18" 5.8

400 1778 864 -41" 9.9

500 1662 754 -76" 14.4

For terrain/regions where you don't have a lot of distances past 400, it might be a good solution.

I prefer turrets that I can dial or a reticle with straight .5 and 1 Mil hashes that I can set my drop and drift to based on conditions.

If I were using a drop reticle, I would rather have this in a lower end magnification, compact scope:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • kansas
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2017

The problem I've found with having fancier reticles in a low end magnification compact scope ... is ... if the reticle is FFP, then it is too small ... well at least for my eyes ... and I've tried a strike eagle.

==
    The two I liked the most were:

01 - VO g2 rzr 1-6x MILR

02 - Elcan 1x/4x 5.56 BDC

both of these have GREAT glass and a tiny bright dot for hunting.

The VO is SFP, so you can use the reticle for holding on either 6x or 1x if you practice and learn the real world values of the reticle on 1x. Both of those stops can be found repeatably.

The ELCAN actually has 2 flavors of illumination with the bdc reticle also being illuminated on one of the flavors.

==
    The list of the ones I've tried and then sent back or sold is longer much longer than the above list:

Among the ones I recall on the reject list were:

VO strike eagle 1-4x
    VO 3x
    Burris 1.5-8x cq mil (I actually like this one and still have it - but it is longer and heavier than I'd like ... and for me, at 500yds at 8x it is too fuzzy. Most of the scope in this class don't have parallax adjustment ... one interesting feature is the circle dot is SFP while the subtension reticle is FFP)
    Bushy 3x
    Burris 5x
    ACOG 3.5x

and I sold both the elcan and the VO g2 rzr 1-6x as well, though of the ones I sold I liked them the best.
    ==
    Now if you don't have a lot of shots past 400yds then actually a good reflex dot with a good magnifier will get the job done imho. I practice out to 400yds with circle dots and magnifiers on my 5.56(14.5). I use the target as the reticle. If I double zero at 25/385 then I have to hold down 8 to 12 inches between 100-300yds but I practice the hecque out of that and memorize the holds. Then it is a matter of holding for wind. And I can do it out to 400yds ...at 500yds the combination of the elevation hold and the wind hold 20 inches for each ... puts me into the "wing and a prayer" area. So I think 400yds is the limit at least for me.

I'm currently using holosun dot sights and while I sent my eotechs back, I kept the magnifiers.

The setup in question is at the bottom of this pic

On the 5.56(10.5) shown with the Holosun and the magnifier, I'd only rate that as a 300yd gun as the hold at 300yds is 17 inches up with current 50/160 double zero. with a 25/300 yd double zero the hold at 400yds is 20.6 inches in current conditions.
    So for a 400yd gun, I'd still lean towards the 14.5 (shown at the top of the group in a different config)

So after going all around the bush on a hunt for the perfect short/long distance optic for by carbines, I'm back to thinking the magnified reflex dot is the best solution. And under 100yds with the magnifier flipped to the side and both eyes open you have your full peripheral vision and it is a very fast setup for day shooting. Getting out to 300yds is very do-able ... getting to 400yds is a little tougher, but it depends on the barrel length and the cartridge and the zeroing distance.

I'm now looking at DI Optical items and will probably try them next - probably the magnifier first.

==
    But I have been on a similar quest ... I'd like to see what you try and like!

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

The scope I'm really interested in is this one.

Any hunt, anywhere, anytime, your VX-6HD is ready for anything. The VX-6HD's edge-to- edge clarity gives you outstanding brightness, color consistency, and resolution. This means dominating the first and last 15 minutes of the day. The wide zoom range and our latest technology, which includes an in-scope electronic reticle level, CDS-ZL2 Zero Lock elevation dial, and removable throw lever, make your VX-6HD the most versatile Leupold riflescope ever made.

Unfortunately none of the stores around me have it for me to put my hands on. Very lightweight for a variable magnified optic, illuminated, exposed tactical turrets.

Comment

• kansas
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2017

So running some numbers on AB with MV=2300, alt 4400, amax123 ...

With 300yd zero the double zero is at around 12yds ... the maximum down hold is between 150-160yds at 8.2 inches. The up hold at 400yds is 18.6 inches. Wind hold at 400yds for 10 mph cross wind is 13.2 inches.

So I think it is do-able.

==
        With a 350yd zero the max down hold is 8.9 inches between 55yds and 75yds. The up hold at 400yds is 10.5 yds.

So then depends on where you want to move your problem, i.e. what distances will most of your shots happen in and which distances will most of your shots not happen in.

Comment

• kansas
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2017

... Very lightweight for a variable magnified optic ...
          13.4 oz ...light weight indeed !!!

The mount will be lighter, but not by much !

Comment

• glocker21
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2018

I run the 1-8x24 Strike Eagle zeroed 50/200 with the 123gr SST and it shoots lights out of my BA 12.5"

Comment

Working...
            X