• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SPQR 70AD
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2017

CMMG 6.5 grendel

does anyone have a CCMG 6.5 Grendel? I would think without a hogged out bolt and ability to use AK mags it would be the best AR style rifle made for the round. they are very pricey. like to hear if some one has one
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

The CMMG 6.5 Grendel Anvil uses Grendel mags and an AR10 bolt, reduced length AR10 bolt carrier, in a medium receiver set frame.

They are a bit heavier than an AR15.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SPQR 70AD
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2017

I am surprised they did not just put a 6.5 barrel on the mutant which would allow AK mags to be used. I would get the mutant in 7.62x39 then get a Grendel barrel for it

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

There are no current production 6.5 Grendel AK compatiable mags. CCSP is supposedly bringing a AK compatiable 6.5 Grendel mag in the near future. It seems the AK builders are taking interest in the 6.5 Grendel AK. I’ve read a couple of post on AK forums where people have limited success using Tapco polymer 7.62 mags with the 6.5 Grendel.

The only other mags are the 10 round mags used with VEPR 6.5 Grendel and the mags Serbia is developing for they 6.5 Grendel AK variant. The case taper difference between the 7.62X39 and the 6.5 Grendel cases keeps the Grendel from stacking properly in the curved AK mags. The mags the Serbs are developing has a profile more similar to an AR-15 mag than a X39 mag.

Comment

• hill37
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

I guess there is no way a Cmmg Grendel upper would fit a Six8 lower?

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by hill37 View Post
            I guess there is no way a Cmmg Grendel upper would fit a Six8 lower?
            Not even close. The Anvil or Mutant receivers are not AR15 sized, they are longer and the inner diameter of the barrel extension tunnel is much larger, like an AR10.

The BCG looks like a DPMS LR-308 BCG with the tail cut short.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SPQR 70AD
              Unwashed
              • Dec 2017

I think it is silly to make a round for a certain semi auto rifle then have to use special mags where half of them do not even work. the round cant work in a curved mag or a straight semi curved one and only in small capacity. it is in mag limbo. I thought the Grendel was close to the 39 but came from the 220 Russian which has been obsolete for 100 years. no one is tooled up to deal with it in a semi auto. seems like a bolt is the best setup for the round

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SPQR 70AD View Post
                I think it is silly to make a round for a certain semi auto rifle then have to use special mags where half of them do not even work. the round cant work in a curved mag or a straight semi curved one and only in small capacity. it is in mag limbo. I thought the Grendel was close to the 39 but came from the 220 Russian which has been obsolete for 100 years. no one is tooled up to deal with it in a semi auto. seems like a bolt is the best setup for the round
                Magazines have to be made to work with the cartridge, not the other way around.

High capacity mags work fine in my experience.

I've had people come through courses or have helped coach at other courses where attendees went through cases of ammo using the 25rd mags.

The CMMG Anvil in 6.5 Grendel is built to work with existing factory mags.

The 7.62x39 has very exaggerated case taper, so it requires a lot of curvature in the magazines.

The 6.5 Grendel does not require that much curvature because it is tapered more like a 7.62x51 NATO.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SPQR 70AD
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  Magazines have to be made to work with the cartridge, not the other way around.

High capacity mags work fine in my experience.

I've had people come through courses or have helped coach at other courses where attendees went through cases of ammo using the 25rd mags.

The CMMG Anvil in 6.5 Grendel is built to work with existing factory mags.

The 7.62x39 has very exaggerated case taper, so it requires a lot of curvature in the magazines.

The 6.5 Grendel does not require that much curvature because it is tapered more like a 7.62x51 NATO.
                  ok that is what I needed to know that the 25 rounders are reliable. can you tell me which brand you have seen work?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

As far as the twenty four round mags I like the E-Lander mags a little better than my ASC and original C Products 6.5 Grendel mags. I haven’t tried any of the C Products Defense 6.5 Grendel mags but they generally get good reviews.

I’ve had one faulty ASC mag that failed to feed reliably but once I tweaked the feed lips it has since functioned. Unfortunately all the 6.5 Grendel mags will get a problematic mag slip through. Most times cleaning and adjusting the feed lips solves most problems. There have been reports of bad welds on a few mags. I’ve found that loading new mags and letting them set loaded helps the mags wear in.

Many times mags are blamed for malfunction where part of the problems are related to the gas system or tight fitting components. On new builds/rifles it’s a good idea to clean the bore/chamber and liberally lube the BCG as they can be pretty snug.

I think it’s wise to buy mags from a reputable vendor so if you do encounter a faulty mag the vendor will replace or refund your purchase.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SPQR 70AD View Post
                      ok that is what I needed to know that the 25 rounders are reliable. can you tell me which brand you have seen work?
                      The only ones I've seen used extensively in courses where we shoot 125rds per day or more are the CProducts ones.

I have several Elander 24rd mags, but haven't used them yet. I've just been using the 17rd mags.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• tpk
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                        There are no current production 6.5 Grendel AK compatiable mags. CCSP is supposedly bringing a AK compatiable 6.5 Grendel mag in the near future. It seems the AK builders are taking interest in the 6.5 Grendel AK. I’ve read a couple of post on AK forums where people have limited success using Tapco polymer 7.62 mags with the 6.5 Grendel.

The only other mags are the 10 round mags used with VEPR 6.5 Grendel and the mags Serbia is developing for they 6.5 Grendel AK variant. The case taper difference between the 7.62X39 and the 6.5 Grendel cases keeps the Grendel from stacking properly in the curved AK mags. The mags the Serbs are developing has a profile more similar to an AR-15 mag than a X39 mag.
                        I'm having good luck with 75rd 7.62 drums in the Vepr.

Comment

Working...
                        X