X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lastrites
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

Ks you should feel the weight difference bwtn the 5 round elanders and the asc 5 rounders, the elanders feel like they weigh twice as much. If I could only find some replacement elander springs I would be tempted to replace the asc springs altogether.

FG, keep an on the inside seam edge of the mag body, on one of mine the follower wanted to rub against it.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Wolff replacement springs are an option to consider if you want to mess around with springs on a mag body and follower that you think is redeemable.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

I gave the inside of the mag body a good visual inspection and felt all around it with my finger. Everything was smooth and nothing noticeable for the follower to get stuck on. There wasn't any unusual rub marks or scratches on the sides of the follower either. About all I found was the rough edge of the follower where one "leg" was cut short like yours. I'm not sure if deburring the plastic is what made the difference, or if it was the disassembly and washing, but it appears to work better now.
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

I don't have a need for 5 rounders at all, as KS no longer has any mag capacity limit. I'm considering just buying 10 round springs and calling it good, if I ever do anything at all with them. I thought that it would be nice to have less ammo in the gun originally but realized that it is not necessary to fill the mag in question anyway - (DUH?). I load 6 in a 10 round mag and go out the door. My 5 rounders sit collecting tamed dust bunnies on top of the cabinet. I love my Elanders, all except the 17 round mag that came with my Larue, the top front spot weld actually depressed the front mag-wall and reduced the OAL enough to make the custom McCourt Munitions ammo not fit in it. The ELD M rubs enough to make it hairy, but I've got plenty of others now so it really isn't an issue.

If I had my druthers, I'd definitely be looking to trade in my 27 rounders for 17s. I can't for the life of me figure out why I ordered 4 27 round mags... oh well.
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
            I can't for the life of me figure out why I ordered 4 27 round mags... oh well.
            For SHTF?

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

I can't for the life of me figure out why I ordered 4 27 round mags... oh well.
              Because you can? I know I bought a few before the CO ban >15 was implemented and that are grandfathered. But for the life of me, I can't remember where I put them. I'd gladly pay discreet monies for a reminder as to where they are .........
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                Because you can? I know I bought a few before the CO ban >15 was implemented and that are grandfathered. But for the life of me, I can't remember where I put them. I'd gladly pay discreet monies for a reminder as to where they are .........
                Were they confiscated in a covert Op?
                Colorado? It makes my heart sink.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                  Colorado? It makes my heart sink.
                  But hey, would you like some butane hash that's 78% THC? Step right up to the counter. What flavor would you like?
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                    But hey, would you like some butane hash that's 78% THC? Step right up to the counter. What flavor would you like?
                    Responsible use of either should not be up to the government. The firearms issue however is SUPPOSEDLY protected by the constitution.

My opinion on the magazine issue is, if you can't carry them fully loaded due to weight, they are too large.

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

It was a well played attack. NOBODY makes a 15 round, and even the anti's were somewhat against making it 10. Some brain trust said "How bout 15?".

The acceptable compromise as usual. Some thought that the MFGs would step up and make a 15. Nope. We may have well had voted for a 10 for all the good it did us.
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                        Chieftain
                        • Oct 2016

Seems to me someone could make a spacer to meet that standard, obtain approval, and make a small killing retrofitting the cheap 30s. Donno, just a guess?
                        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

Seems to me someone could make a spacer to meet that standard, obtain approval, and make a small killing retrofitting the cheap 30s. Donno, just a guess?
                          They make pinned ones that stop the follower at 15 and Hexmag sells a lot that are somehow modified to accept only 15. But you end up with a mag that’s twice as big as it needs to be, which adds insult to injury. Luckily I backed up the truck and bought A LOT of 30 round AR15 and 20/25 rd “AR10” mags before the ban went into place.

Sticks, the 15 over 10 becomes a lot more important in the handgun world. All me full size glocks take 15s. And there a lot of mid to full sized handguns out there that take 12-15 rounds.
                          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Bwild97
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2015

ASC makes a very good 15 rnd 6.5 Grendel Magazine, I have several of these.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2017

Getting a little more back on topic (better entry level Grendel), I showed a Grendel to a local today who is looking for a light brush gun. At first he really liked my 16" barreled .44 magnum lever action with an intermediate eye relief (scout) scope. It's about $600 for that setup without the optics though.
                              44 Mag.jpg

After he saw the Grendel, it's ballistics, the price tag of the rifle and the price of the ammo he may soon be a new convert. The price of ammo really impressed him.

Tomorrow I hope to shoot the two Grendels again with the chronograph. It's been a whole 20+ degrees outside lately.
                              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                                Warrior
                                • Nov 2017

Another Trip to the Range

Well I was able to make it back up to the property again today after knocking off all the ice from the eves of my roof. Old trailer homes have horrible insulation.

The dog came along with me again and we had more frozen food to shoot at. This time it was a head of cabbage. The fridge in the barn turns into a freezer when it gets too cold out. We know this and empty it, but this head of cabbage got left in there for some reason.

It had snowed about a foot more since my last trip up there. After turning off the highway I went under the old train bridge which was built by a mostly Chinese work force (hence the name of the town, Orient).

Train Bridge.jpg

After the bridge is the river and old stage coach road that connected Canada to Colville back in the 1800s.

River.jpg
                                River 2.jpg

Once I turned off the county road I headed up to the old mines and past the abandoned homestead.

County Road.jpg
                                Old Homestead.jpg

I didn't make it quite as far up the mountain this time, but almost. There are a few dedicated wide spots in the road where I can turn around, but that's not where I got stuck. It was a good thing that we had a shovel in the back of the Jeep since I was getting a little close to the edge trying to get the jeep pointed the other way. With the snow up to my knees in places, it was a bit of a challenge. I really need to get a set of chains if I want to keep coming up here.

Snow Jeep.jpg

The location was conducive to shooting though and had a great view.

Range View.jpg

For some reason I couldn't get my old chronograph to read any Hornady Black ammo, but it read the Wolf 100 grain stuff well. Out of the 16" barrel it averaged 2,440fps. In the 18" barrel it was 2,530fps. Not bad, with about 50fps per inch difference. Both barrels are Bear Creak Arsenal, but the 18" has 5R rifling.

Both rifles performed flawlessly. Not a single issue came up with either the 16" carbine length gas or the 18" mid length gas. The temperature was in the mid 20's. I haven't shot the 16" carbine length gas system in warmer weather yet, but I don't expect any issues with it. The 18" mid length did see some rounds through it this fall before the weather turned cold and the rifle never had a gas related issue. Just the one bad magazine.

Frozen cabbage doesn't pop like frozen water melons. At first I thought that I had missed it, but on turning it around I see that the round went right through it's center.

Frozen Cabbage.jpg

For all the shooting I used my "problem child" 10 round C-Products mag. It worked great, not a single mis-feed or jam after shooting about two boxes of ammo.

Good Mag.jpg

We made it home after sliding down the side of the mountain. The dog was now tired and headed right to the wood stove for a nap.

Tired Dog.jpg

I joined the wife and kids for a nice game of Rook.
                                Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

Working...
                                X